PDA

View Full Version : VA 42 to Bland/Bastian Aug 20-23, 2010

Rain Man
08-10-2010, 10:59
I am planning an easy, long-weekend, 32-mile hike from VA Hwy 42 (just north of Groseclose/Atkins) to Bland/Bastian/I-77.

Friday, August 20, 2010:
4:00 p.m. - Leave Nashville, drive to Atkins/Groseclose, arrive around 11:00 pm.
Night hike 2 miles to Knot Maul Branch Shelter from VA Hwy 42.

Saturday:
Hike 9 miles from Knot Maul Branch Shelter to Chestnut Knob Shelter above Burke's Garden aka "God's Thumbprint."

Sunday:
Hike 10 miles from Chestnut Knob Shelter to Jenkins Shelter

Monday:
Hike 11 miles from Jenkins Shelter to Bastian/Bland, VA at I-77
Drive home to Nashville that evening.

Questions? If you'd like to go, please send me your email address and cell number. So far, about 4 hikers (including me) from Nashville plan to be in the group.

Rain:sunMan

P.S. All participating hikers should choose "A" or "B" below!

A. I can carry 25 lbs minimum from the Group Leader's pack for him, or
B. I can carry only 10 lbs from his pack, but promise to buy him his post-hike dinner to make up for being such a slackard!

couscous
08-10-2010, 11:27
P.S. All participating hikers should choose "A" or "B" below!
A. I can carry 25 lbs minimum from the Group Leader's pack for him, or
B. I can carry only 10 lbs from his pack, but promise to buy him his post-hike dinner to make up for being such a slackard!

So funny! :D

Rain Man
08-11-2010, 16:22
So funny! :D

I thought so too!!! :D

Rain Man
08-16-2010, 11:06
Just bumping this thread, as the hike is this weekend, starting Friday night. So far, we have 4 definites and 1 more probable in the group.

Any helpful reports on current water conditions, bugs, shelter/trailhead problems, etc., would be appreciated, of course. I see two "proposed" trail relocations on my ATC map, and one of those is mentioned in the new ATC guidebook, so I assume one has been completed and one not.

Thanks!

Rain Man
08-25-2010, 15:26
Six of us did the hike. Had a great time. Beautiful weather. Great trail. Good water.

Here's a link to the photo album I posted, for anyone who's interested:

Click for photo album of this hike. (http://www.meetup.com/backpackers-166/photos/all_photos/?photoAlbumId=1038425)

The photo captions are pretty much a trip report.

Turtle2
08-25-2010, 21:31
Hey Rain Man, I almost posted on Monday but realized you couldn't answer as you had not returned. Glad you had a great time.