PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tents.

mykl
08-10-2010, 13:00
I camp out in the winter just a few times a year and just use my 3 season tent. Last winter was inspirational for me, and I want to get into more winter camping this coming season.
What should I be looking for in a 4 season tent?
Also, any recommendations on a free standing, 2 person winter tent around $300?
Thanks....

couscous
08-10-2010, 13:35
Unless you're going somewhere with heavy snowfall and exceptionally high winds, your 3-season tent should be just fine. My Sierra Designs Lightning (3-season tent) works fine for sub-zero weather and 6-12" of snowfall.

Mountain Wildman
08-10-2010, 13:44
I have always wanted to try winter camping and just might, or will, Someday, But If and When I do, I will probably go with a Hilleberg. Not likely to be less than 300 though, Probably more like 500 to 800 but you get what you pay for, And if it's good enough to use on Everest, It's good enough for me. IMHO

kayak karl
08-10-2010, 13:49
what is the difference between a 3 season and winter tent??

Llama Legs
08-10-2010, 13:53
Black Diamond has some light, 4-season, single walls. Remember, you're in the tent for many extra hours in the winter...

bulldog49
08-10-2010, 14:12
Unless you're going somewhere with heavy snowfall and exceptionally high winds, your 3-season tent should be just fine. My Sierra Designs Lightning (3-season tent) works fine for sub-zero weather and 6-12" of snowfall.

Agree, a 3 season tent will do just fine on the AT, except maybe the Whites.

I do a lot of winter camping on the AT and use my Six Moons Lunar Solo. Never had a problem with it not standing up to the elements.

couscous
08-10-2010, 14:26
what is the difference between a 3 season and winter tent??
Usually more poles to prevent collapse under heavy snowfall, more anchor points to secure in high winds, snow skirts around the bottom, etc. MSR Twin Sisters is one of the cheapest 2-person tents listed as a 4-season tent. Hilleberg (http://www.hilleberg.com/Home.htm) tents are very nice if you can afford them. Good podcast with Petra (http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/audio/pbpodcast/PBP-32_New-Hilleberg-All-Season-Tents.mp3).

bulldog49
08-10-2010, 14:30
Also, rather than invest the added money and weight in the tent, I would instead spend it on a top quality sleeping bag, like a Western Mountaineering Antelope 5 degree bag.

Mountain Wildman
08-10-2010, 14:56
Also, rather than invest the added money and weight in the tent, I would instead spend it on a top quality sleeping bag, like a Western Mountaineering Antelope 5 degree bag.

That's a good point, Also, Feathered Friends Down Jacket and Pants would probably be nice as well. Have to keep that in mind when I decide to try winter camping.

bigcranky
08-10-2010, 15:06
Yeah, I would start with a great winter bag first -- I have an Antelope, which is wonderful, but there are plenty of good ones. I use my Antelope in NC/TN/VA in winter either in a Tarptent or just under a tarp. No need yet for a "real" winter mountaineering tent.

leaftye
08-10-2010, 15:08
You might also want to consider a shelter with a stove jack.

Llama Legs
08-10-2010, 15:26
I have always wanted to try winter camping and just might, or will, Someday, But If and When I do, I will probably go with a Hilleberg. Not likely to be less than 300 though, Probably more like 500 to 800 but you get what you pay for, And if it's good enough to use on Everest, It's good enough for me. IMHO

Never looked into them, but I like the Kaitum 3 GT. It's like a little house!

BostonAndy
08-10-2010, 21:07
I got this tent on sale last year. They recently restyled it. I took it on a few overnights in the whites and was fine. It is not a mountaineering tent, so as long as your not camping on the presidental range you should be fine.

http://www.rei.com/product/794283

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2010, 21:51
I do four season camping in my 3 season Eureka dome that I got for about $100 at a sporting goods store, I've use it in light to moderate snow and have slept in it comfortably down to -2f. Unless you're expecting high winds or heavy snow you should be okay in a 3 season double-wall that has aluminum poles.

If you have some money to drop on gear, I'd invest in a good sleeping bag that's rated a little lower than the temperature you plan to encounter. I tend to sleep cold and a zero degree bag (I got an EMS brand one that I'd recommend) was a better investment for me than an all season tent.

Mango
08-10-2010, 22:10
I've used my Lunar Solo on snow and in snow. Any single wall tent is going to have condensation, so a very small tent will put you in contact with a wet or frosty wall every time you move. I open it up as much as possible for better air circulation and therefore less condensation, but that reduces the temp inside. I used to have a Stephenson Warmlite which would be much stronger for winter use, esp. in high winds. Besides the warmer bag, I'd also suggest extra pads under the bag. I carried a cheap closed cell pad from K-Mart to put under my NeoAir on the PCT this year. It worked fine, especially when camping on snow.

Toolshed
08-10-2010, 22:28
I camp out in the winter just a few times a year and just use my 3 season tent. Last winter was inspirational for me, and I want to get into more winter camping this coming season.
What should I be looking for in a 4 season tent?
Also, any recommendations on a free standing, 2 person winter tent around $300?
Thanks....
Mykl,
I do a lot of winter camping and backpacking - Where are you expecting to go and what are you defining as winter.
To me, winter is usually 10F or below, heavy snowfall and high winds. Sometimes above treeline, but usually requiring BC Skis, Snowshoes and/or crampons. I don't believe there are too many places within an hour or two of NJ that consistently fit this description, except perhaps the Catskills. If you were thinking of camping along the AT in NJ/PA/NY, then I don't think you really need a 4S tent, but rather a good 3 season tent or tarptent combo.
A 4S Tent usually has heavier uncoated mesh making up the walls of the tent to protect from spindrift, whereby 3S has a much lighter mesh.
The fly of a 4S might be a little lower to the ground and may have more adjustment options depending on whether you need to bury the bottom perimeter in the snow.
Tent Poles are usually a bit heavier, beefier and larger in diameter (perhaps 11mm versus 8 or 9mm).
There are usually more poles which allow for less unsupported surface area, a tauter pitch and less flapping in higher winds.
Stitching can sometimes be beefier and there may be more guy out.anchor spots attached to the tent fly.
The fly also usually attaches more tightly to the tent body and/or tent poles, making the whole system much more sturdy.
a 4S tent may have a heavier oxford nylon floor (such as ripstop 4 oz rather than an plain oxford or taffeta 2.1 or 1.9) to protect against scuffs and tears.
Usually you want to have a few snow stakes with extra cord attached to stake out your investment and avoid collapse in high winds. If you are going to be camping on ice or frozen lakes, a couple of regular ice screws work miracles.
Some better winter tents (especially tunnel tents) have tension straps across the roof on the inside to allow you to ratchet down the tent from the inside during periods of high winds (think Kelty Windfoil 2 or 3).

DapperD
08-10-2010, 22:39
I do four season camping in my 3 season Eureka dome that I got for about $100 at a sporting goods store, I've use it in light to moderate snow and have slept in it comfortably down to -2f. Unless you're expecting high winds or heavy snow you should be okay in a 3 season double-wall that has aluminum poles.

If you have some money to drop on gear, I'd invest in a good sleeping bag that's rated a little lower than the temperature you plan to encounter. I tend to sleep cold and a zero degree bag (I got an EMS brand one that I'd recommend) was a better investment for me than an all season tent.Here's a 4 season Eureka for under $300:http://www.moontrail.com/Eureka-Alpenlite-2XT.php

tammons
08-10-2010, 22:55
For a serious winter tent a double wall warmlite. Not Cheap.

http://warmlite.com/products-page/tents

mykl
08-11-2010, 00:39
Mykl,
I do a lot of winter camping and backpacking - Where are you expecting to go and what are you defining as winter.
To me, winter is usually 10F or below, heavy snowfall and high winds. Sometimes above treeline, but usually requiring BC Skis, Snowshoes and/or crampons. I don't believe there are too many places within an hour or two of NJ that consistently fit this description, except perhaps the Catskills. If you were thinking of camping along the AT in NJ/PA/NY, then I don't think you really need a 4S tent, but rather a good 3 season tent or tarptent combo.
A 4S Tent usually has heavier uncoated mesh making up the walls of the tent to protect from spindrift, whereby 3S has a much lighter mesh.
The fly of a 4S might be a little lower to the ground and may have more adjustment options depending on whether you need to bury the bottom perimeter in the snow.
Tent Poles are usually a bit heavier, beefier and larger in diameter (perhaps 11mm versus 8 or 9mm).
There are usually more poles which allow for less unsupported surface area, a tauter pitch and less flapping in higher winds.
Stitching can sometimes be beefier and there may be more guy out.anchor spots attached to the tent fly.
The fly also usually attaches more tightly to the tent body and/or tent poles, making the whole system much more sturdy.
a 4S tent may have a heavier oxford nylon floor (such as ripstop 4 oz rather than an plain oxford or taffeta 2.1 or 1.9) to protect against scuffs and tears.
Usually you want to have a few snow stakes with extra cord attached to stake out your investment and avoid collapse in high winds. If you are going to be camping on ice or frozen lakes, a couple of regular ice screws work miracles.
Some better winter tents (especially tunnel tents) have tension straps across the roof on the inside to allow you to ratchet down the tent from the inside during periods of high winds (think Kelty Windfoil 2 or 3).

Thanks Toolshed, great reply!
I'm thinking of mostly NY, Catskills and Bear Mountain areas for winter camping. Probably looking somewhere around 0 to 20 degree nights.
Single walls seam to be a think with 4 season tents. Any other reasons besides the obvious single wall pros (and cons)? I have a MSR Skinny too, how would that make for winter use?

LIhikers
08-12-2010, 20:22
Thanks Toolshed, great reply!
I'm thinking of mostly NY, Catskills and Bear Mountain areas for winter camping.

That's where my wife and I do our winter hiking/camping and we've always used a 3 season tent with no problems. I think we've always used our Sierra Designs Sirius 3 in the winter.
Although, I've used a Tarptent Rainbow when out solo during winter and it worked fine.

Wags
08-13-2010, 00:19
i hope to give this a try this winter. tarp w/ grizz beak, creating a 3rd wall.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/6/1/9/5/img_0874_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=42464&c=member&imageuser=16195)

Wags
08-13-2010, 00:20
which i meant to say. you could always just get a nice tarp for $140 and use your existing tent. putting the tarp up overtop of the tent to help w/ snow load or hanging it baker hut style to help with wind block

mkmangold
08-13-2010, 01:27
which i meant to say. you could always just get a nice tarp for $140 and use your existing tent. putting the tarp up overtop of the tent to help w/ snow load or hanging it baker hut style to help with wind block

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to try that with my tarp tent this winter. Would Tyvek work to save weight? I also bring those chemical hand/foot heaters just in case.

Lyle
08-13-2010, 13:54
Nights are looooonnngggg in winter. Interior space makes for a much more pleasant night, allowing you to sit up, stretch out, change positions, unpack gear, play cards, eat, and just generally recreate inside the tent. A two person for one, three person for two makes tons of sense. Winter hiking is NOT ultralight if you ask me.

I agree with the extra pad and good bag. Pee bottle makes great sense (for women, check out a pilot supply (Sporty's) for anatomically correct urinals).

I use my regular three-season tent for many of my late fall, early spring trips. If real snow is expected I use my GoLite Shangri-La 2. Have found it simple, light, and effective. Do still have to manage condensation, but you'll figure it out. An extra light bivy helps.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=370002110&mc=154&t=&lat=