PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Footwear Fanatic-Attic

SMSP
08-10-2010, 14:30
I have officially turned into a Merrell footwear fanatic-addict! As of today, I now have 6 pairs of Merrell shoes. Before I bought my first pair a few years ago, I did not know too much about Merrell except that were rather expensive. Then one day (not at band camp), I came across a pair at a salvage store in my area.

1st Pair: They were brand new (maybe slightly irregular) Mesa Ventilator’s. At the time, these fit okay and I probably could have used a wide. But hey, I had a pair of Merrell’s about half the retail cost.

2nd Pair: Some time had past and during Christmas shopping, I came across a pair of Moab Ventilator’s in wide for around 40% off retail. These shoes have been my mainstay go-to shoes for just about everything including work, play and casual wear.

3rd Pair: I then purchased a pair of Jungle Mocs, again at almost half off. The Mocs are very comfortable. Although I have read where some people actually hike in the Mocs, that would not work for me. I need a lace-up shoe for more support. Merrell promotes Mocs as an after-sport footwear. They are great for casual wear and work!

4th Pair: While in Academy Sports, my peripheral vision spotted a pair of Merrell water shoes, WaterPro, for about half price again. The jury is still out on these. I have been experimenting with them at the beach, water park, and plan to hike in them at some point.

5th Pair: Tax free shopping weekend came around and with a 20% percent coupon, I saved at least $25 on a pair of Merrell World Quest. These are strictly casual and work/office wear. I am concerned about the soles on these as they are non-Vibram type. It will be interesting to see how long the soles last. But, they are comfortable.

6th Pair: I couldn’t stand it. When I bought the World Quest, I had also looked at the Merrell Hyperbolic slip-ons, which have a Vibram sole. The Hyperbolic is definitely a casual wear shoe.

The most comfortable of the ones I own so far have been the Jungle Mocs. I have yet to pay full retail price for a pair of Merrell’s. When one finds a product they like, they stick with it.

:bananaSMSP:banana

300winmag
12-08-2010, 01:07
I have 2 new pair of Merrill boots/shoes.

1st I got the Moab Mid GTS boots (My Danner equivalent light boots' sole's cracked!!!)

2nd I got Moab low cut shoes on a great sale.

I love them both.

Odd Man Out
12-08-2010, 01:15
I love my Moab Ventilators. My first pair had a flaw in the leather causing a rip right over my little toe. I took them to the company store and they replaced them no problem. It was too bad though because I used them out in Bryce and Zion NP so they got this nice natural russet color to them from the red dust out there. I have been shopping around to replace them. Every store I go to I try on every pair of comparable shoes in the store and then I try on a new pair of Moabs and nothing fits me like these shoes. I would like to get something a little more water proof for winters in MI. It's odd but the GoreTex Moabs don't fit me as well as the originals. Merrell is a division of Wolverine, with world HQ in nearby Rockford MI. Some day, the North Country Trail will go right by there.

SassyWindsor
12-09-2010, 00:16
Just a friendly heads-up. A friend of mine seen an article about footwear, along with some other textiles, made in China as having chemical residues that could be harmful. It could have been formaldehyde, not sure what he told me. I steer clear of anything made outside of Europe or the USA. I know a lot of footwear companies have started manufacturing in China and I would buy with caution.

Odd Man Out
12-09-2010, 00:28
Here is an article from Jan, 2009 about the closing of the Wolverine leather tannery in Rockford MI. Wolverine is the parent company of Merrill.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/index.ssf/2009/01/wolverine_world_wide_cuts_450.html

SMSP
12-09-2010, 00:59
Here is an article from Jan, 2009 about the closing of the Wolverine leather tannery in Rockford MI. Wolverine is the parent company of Merrill.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/index.ssf/2009/01/wolverine_world_wide_cuts_450.html

Didnt know that, interesting.

And, isn't Vasque and Redwing linked together as well?

SMSP

on_the_GOEZ
12-09-2010, 01:25
+1 on customer service from merrell. The pair of chameloeon 2s i bought last fall for the Long Trail didnt last but 200 miles before BOTH soles started coming unglued. (The Long Trail - A FootBATH in the wilderness) I finished with them, but was wet..all the time. Upon return, I called called Merrell and they replace the chameleons with a heavier boot because they thought a trail runner-esque shoe wasnt heavy duty enough for a 25 lb pack. The other pair I have were bought in 2008 and are still rockin it, despite a terrible kitchen stench of grease and beer from the job.

Merrells are above average but customer service is superb. Great shoes for short distance hiking, but even better for active folk! When going long distance, the simpler the better imo (Aisics, NB, ... )

Cabin Fever
12-09-2010, 07:30
I have four pairs! Cannot remember the names, but they have been the best combination of price/comfort/durability on the Trail.

Trailbender
12-09-2010, 12:37
I used 2 on my thru hike. Merrell sent me a free pair in Harper's Ferry after I called and talked to them. Currently have around 1400 miles on my second pair, I still wear them every day and hike in them. The front is held on with paracord and I replaced the laces with paracord as well. I don't own more than a couple pairs of shoes, ones I never wear except when I have to dress up, and my Merrells that I wear for everything else.

When I buy something, I use it until I can't fix it anymore.

Rick500
12-09-2010, 13:41
Didnt know that, interesting.

And, isn't Vasque and Redwing linked together as well?

SMSP

Redwing owns Vasque.

SMSP
12-09-2010, 20:47
Redwing owns Vasque.

Okay, I knew it was something like that.

Redwing makes a fine boot, but dang, they are HEAVY.

SMSP

Legion
05-10-2011, 13:09
Becoming more dis-satisfied with Merrell as my trek goes on. While they do have a nice replacement policy, it is only a one time fix and I have gone through 2 pairs in about 800 miles. Not exactly what I would call a quality product. Personally, I would only recommend them for shorter, non-strenuous hiking trips.

bus
05-22-2011, 16:56
I find that their wide boots fit my duck style feet the best.