PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam shuttle needed (I'm on a boat mother... uh yeah better keep this clean)

TheChop
08-10-2010, 16:56
Me and a buddy are doing an AT/BMT loop of the Smokies at the end of August because that's when it will be uncomfortably hot. We'll start at Big Creek and go down to Fontana Dam. We've got the reservations but the sticking point is in the cross over from AT to BMT. We'd both like to be able to say we hiked the entire stretch of both trails within the Smokies and the only way to realistically do that without backtracking is to get a shuttle. But what me and my buddy would really love to do would be to hop on a boat and motor up Cheoah Lake to Twentymile or vice versa.

Question being anyone know of a boat shuttle that would do this and that wouldn't cost us something outrageous? If not we'll probably just call Jeff and Nancy at The Hike Inn as they seem like a real stand up operation. Just seems cooler to get in a boat than get in a wheeled vehicle.

shoe
08-11-2010, 22:30
Call the Fontana Marina
828-498-2211

TheChop
08-15-2010, 12:49
Call the Fontana Marina
828-498-2211

We did. The problem is the section of water Twentymile is between Fontana Dam and a dam north of there so there's no marina that services it. Any boat going into that relatively limited stretch of water has to be dropped in at a boat ramp. Everyone at the marina can't go up that way because their boats can't climb Fontana Dam. :(

At the end of the day I talked with Jeff and we're getting a ride with him for what I thought was an exceptionally reasonable price.