PDA

View Full Version : Baxter Weather in September

Benny
08-10-2010, 17:38
Hi there,

What's the weather like in Baxter the first few weeks of September?

Thanks

weary
08-10-2010, 23:08
Most any weather is possible: sunny, quite warm, cloudy, cold, snow. But generally it's a delightful time to be on the mountain. The fall colors will be at their peak. Expect chilly nights and frosty nights, along with pleasant daytime temperatures, for the most part. But I've seen freezing days, and 90 degree days.

Benny
08-11-2010, 16:37
Thanks for the info!

peakbagger
08-12-2010, 08:13
I would reinforce Weary's comments about chilly nights especially at Chinmey Pond. (worth the trip for sure). Its a spectacular time of the year to be up there. If you want to see an entirely different side of Baxter, try camping at South Branch Pond and doing the Traveler. Russell Pond is also a great place to backpack into. Katahdin gets a lot of dayhikers on weekends and you should probably book a parking space, but the rest of the mountains in the park are usually pretty deserted.

Link to Parking info (only needed if you want to climb Katahdin)

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingParking.html

Benny
08-12-2010, 15:32
Thanks,

My wife and I will be visiting the park for the first time. We have reservations for these areas. I have some hikes in mind listed below. Anybody have any recommendations, do's and dont's as far as hikes for first time visiters. Not sure if we'll ever get to come back because it's such a haul from Pittsburgh.
Maine Itinerary

Mon 9/6 Hike into Chimney Pond
Hike considerations-Saddle Trail, Blueberry knoll via north Basin Trail

Tues 9/7 Check Out is 11:00 am- Hike out of Chimney Pond-Depending on time and parking reservations-Sandy Stream Pond, South Turner Mountain-
Drive to Kidney Pond Campground

Wed 9/8 Kidney Pond-Hike Considerations-Sentinel Mt, Niagra Falls or grassy pond need to park at daicey parking area, doubletop

Thurs 9/9 Depart Kidney Pond-Drive to South Branch Pond- Hike considerations- north traveler, Howe brook

Fri 9/10 South Branch Pond-

Sat 9/11 South Branch Pond

peakbagger
08-12-2010, 16:48
If you take the Saddle trail up to the plateau, the hike back down Hamlin Ridge is a great hike. If at all possible do the South Turner Sandy Stream trip as its loaded with moose and South Turner has a grat view of the mountain.

Double top is another great mountain with great views.

The new Traveler loop hike is great but its a long day (12 miles) I would consider doing the south end of the loop vs doing North Traveler as North Traveler has some nasty scree to climb up. There are a lot of shorter trails on the north end of the park to fill in the day when you drive up from Kidney or take your time and stop along the way.

The drive from Kidney Pond to South Branch could take 2 hours. I opted to drive out of the park, resupply in millinocket and drive up to the North Gate. There is a white water outfitter with showers a few miles out of the park to get cleaned up for the second leg of your trip. When you leave definitely consider driving out of the North Gate. It will bring you down to the Sherman Mills exit of I 95, there is a incredbile scenic view point of the east side of the mountain from the highway (but unfortunately I think the pullover is only on the North bound lane).

weary
08-12-2010, 16:54
Thanks,

My wife and I will be visiting the park for the first time. We have reservations for these areas. I have some hikes in mind listed below. Anybody have any recommendations, do's and dont's as far as hikes for first time visiters. Not sure if we'll ever get to come back because it's such a haul from Pittsburgh.
Maine Itinerary

Mon 9/6 Hike into Chimney Pond
Hike considerations-Saddle Trail, Blueberry knoll via north Basin Trail

Tues 9/7 Check Out is 11:00 am- Hike out of Chimney Pond-Depending on time and parking reservations-Sandy Stream Pond, South Turner Mountain-
Drive to Kidney Pond Campground

Wed 9/8 Kidney Pond-Hike Considerations-Sentinel Mt, Niagra Falls or grassy pond need to park at daicey parking area, doubletop

Thurs 9/9 Depart Kidney Pond-Drive to South Branch Pond- Hike considerations- north traveler, Howe brook

Fri 9/10 South Branch Pond-

Sat 9/11 South Branch Pond
Sounds like a great agenda too me. Blueberry knoll is a great walk, but do the Saddle to the summit if the weather is decent. None of your other suggestions are particularly difficult. You could probably do them all.

Benny
08-17-2010, 00:21
Thanks Folks,

One more question. It looks like the Lean to's at South Branch Pond are right on the pond with a great view. I booked a tent site that appears to be further back in a wooded area. What do you think would be the better bet.

weary
08-17-2010, 12:28
I prefer leantos -- especially in September in Baxter when most of the bugs are gone.
But don't worry about views. You'll see plenty at South Branch Ponds, regardless of where or how you camp. It's all beautiful.

takethisbread
08-17-2010, 12:29
Hey I've got similar questions on this I begin SOBO on September 23 from Katahdin. I'm guessing some really nice days and freezing nights. Possible snow by mid October, then I'll be in the white mtns, where it's sure to snow.

mudhead
08-17-2010, 19:45
I prefer leantos -- especially in September in Baxter when most of the bugs are gone.
But don't worry about views. You'll see plenty at South Branch Ponds, regardless of where or how you camp. It's all beautiful.

Agree. The tent sites there are larger, more private, at least the ones I have seen. You may see an empty leanto on the pond- cop a squat and drink a cup of coffee.

You want a place called "peak of the ridges."

Swimming hole downstream, most of the way out to the tote road.

Benny
10-26-2010, 21:31
Beautiful area!!
http://bm1023.zenfolio.com/p1004978220/slideshow

TJ aka Teej
10-27-2010, 21:10
[QUOTE=Benny;1063202]Beautiful area!!
http://bm1023.zenfolio.com/p1004978220/slideshow[/QUOT Really nice pics in there. Ben! Looks like you have a nice tour of Maine and New Hampshire.

alicevinci
05-12-2012, 03:26
Which is the best season to visit Baxter State Park? I am thinking of visiting this summer.

weary
05-13-2012, 10:54
Which is the best season to visit Baxter State Park? I am thinking of visiting this summer.
Whenever you can get there. But winter requires special gear and skills. Summer and fall are great times, though you'll probably miss the exciting black fly battles.