PDA

View Full Version : Compiling a DVD Slideshow of 2010 NOBO Photos (Your submissions requested!)

Specs
08-10-2010, 18:28
Dear NOBO Class of 2010,

Specs here, back in TN after completing my thru hike on August 1. Allow me to request your photographic submissions for use in a slideshow I plan on compiling as a memento of this glorious year of hiking on the Appalachian Trail. Whether we hiked together or not, I'm interested in any and all photos you would care to submit. Please send high resolution versions of said photos, along with a caption, and your trail name to [email protected]. Furthermore, if you have any songs that seemed to be constantly stuck in your head throughout the course of the hike that you think should be used as accompaniment to the slideshow, let me know. The more abundant and quicker the submissions, the faster I'll be able to put this together. Finally , congratulations to those of you who have finished, and good luck to those still working on it.

Peace,

Specs

WalkingStick75
08-10-2010, 18:57
Is this DVD going to be sold?

Specs
08-10-2010, 19:07
Of course not. I may set up a PayPal account for donations to cover production costs, or I may just not end up producing actual copies and simply upload it to YouTube or Vimeo.

TheCheek
08-10-2010, 22:37
Can you post an update here when it is ready?

boarstone
08-11-2010, 15:17
Is this DVD going to be sold?

I hope he has model release papers ready to pass out. Any and all donaters, sign all summited work w/your trademark ( intials will do w/ TM) and stating your photo not to be copied or sold w/o your permission. Once he copies just 1 disk for anyone including fellow submitters of photos, copywrite has been infringed upon.

Specs
08-11-2010, 16:14
I hope he has model release papers ready to pass out. Any and all donaters, sign all summited work w/your trademark ( intials will do w/ TM) and stating your photo not to be copied or sold w/o your permission. Once he copies just 1 disk for anyone including fellow submitters of photos, copywrite has been infringed upon.

I'm merely trying to create a memento as a final piece of trail magic. So why don't you first, learn to spell (donaters is not a word, submitted, initials, and copyright) and second, start spending your time finishing your section hike rather than trolling around the internet.

The Old Fhart
08-11-2010, 16:48
Specs-“I'm merely trying to create a memento as a final piece of trail magic.”
I guess the perceived problem here is you are asking others to contribute to your slide show. If you have seen other slide shows you will notice that the presenter uses their own slides because a project like this is a personal representation of their experience, not others.

Boarstone has raised some good points and has been a valued contributor on WB for a very long time so for you to attack him for his comments says more about you than it does about him.

Lyle
08-11-2010, 17:17
The PCT hikers each year have been doing this for many years.

People get sooooooo hung up on "property rights". If you don't want your photos distributed, don't submit them.

daylaandjasper
08-11-2010, 17:23
For the last several years people in the PCT trail community have been doing this- the PCT is a smaller group - few hundred people a year attempt it. There are so many people out on the AT, it'd be hard to have a representative section- and there is no way to have met everyone out there in a year.

I think the videos produced are great- as long as you aren't selling it, the more pics you have from people I think its cool, but I personally don't have that much interest in participating since I want to make my own video

. I guess the point Boarstone makes - if you do donate your pics and there is no release form- and someone DID try to sell the video- you don't have recourse.

BrianLe
08-11-2010, 20:05
I contributed photos to the equivalent 2008 PCT project, and indeed, there's a sort of tradition it seems on pcta that a couple of volunteers will get together and put together a slide show type of video with background music. The one in 2008 was downloadable via bitorrent (http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/b8d141cbd393331782275755be1609d051ece713/torrent-info/Pacific-Crest-Trail--PCT--Class-of-2008-DVD) as --- if I recall correctly --- a DVD image that a person could burn for themselves and then watch on any DVD player.

I met Specs on the trail this year and he's a heck of a nice guy (a strong hiker too ...); I can understand the dismay of a volunteer at finding potential discouraging issues popping up. For my own part, I'm happy to contribute some photos (okay, when I get round to going through them) and let them be used by whomever and for whatever. There's no "recourse" that I care about, and I doubt that many thru-hikers care about copyright issues w.r.t. what are otherwise just personal photos (?).

I'm not sure if the AT has an equivalent of the PCT's own Squatch (http://www.walkpct.com/). As far as I can tell, there's no rancor or negative sense of competition between annual volunteers doing what Specs is trying to do vs. what Squatch turns out on the PCT. Hopefully none on the AT either, if in fact there are other videos or whatever that get done on a regular basis (despite just recently having walked all of it, I still don't actually know that much about the AT traditions, etc etc ...).

I hope a lot of folks send photos to Specs so he has a variety to select from; I suspect mine will be left on the digital "cutting room floor", but I still plan to send him a few.

dgaf169
08-17-2010, 16:43
I summited the day before you, but I don't think we ever met. As soon as I got all my photos uploaded to my comp and edited I wil definitly send them too you.

RockeR

PS when did u start?

GeneralLee10
08-17-2010, 17:54
I hiked with Specs for many miles, even had one hell of a race to Bobbets Gap Shelter. He is a very good person, and I am sure he has no intentions of selling this video. All of the pictures I took are on Disc and will be heading your way.

Trailbender
08-25-2010, 18:42
It's Hollywood, how's it going? I sent some pics to your email.

Sly
08-25-2010, 19:20
The PCT hikers each year have been doing this for many years.

People get sooooooo hung up on "property rights". If you don't want your photos distributed, don't submit them.

Exactly. The PCT slideshows have been awesome, many of them distributed using uTorrent (with credits)

k1ypp
03-01-2011, 19:16
Specs: I just finished watching the " A NOBO TALE." Fabulous! Even though I only did a small amount of trail angel stuff in 2010, and didn't meet any of the crew in the video, I got all emotional just watching it. It brought back so many memories of my 2007/2008 adventure on the trail. Thanks for putting it all together.

I hope to get up there again this year (living in Sarasota, FL, that can sometimes be difficult). Last year I picked a lousy day to trail angel, there was a big storm so I didn't run into too many thru-hikers. I set up north of Moosilauke at the RT 112 crossing. I did meet Bi/Mark Shaw, White Chocolate, Slow Ride, Ghetto Sheep and Little Foot. Maybe you know of them.

Thanks Again...

Dennis "K1"
Author of Three Hundred Zeroes (http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg): Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail