PDA

View Full Version : train to section hike like a thru hiker

1azarus
08-11-2010, 10:22
i know there've been threads about staying in shape... i've got two kids i've been watching train to run a marathon, and the regimen is incredibly specific. I wondered if there isn't a carefully thought out regimen for section hiker types who want to be able to hike in there personal best "racer-like" condition? Mix of short and long day hikes? day hikes the week before the section hike starts? Other specific exercises? ...all designed for the obsessed section hiker... almost like prepping for an adventure race? hurry up with your advice... four weeks to go.

Raul Perez
08-11-2010, 10:38
I usually hit the gym and do high intensity work outs with supersets - 5 reps heavy, 20 reps light for 5 sets. Vary the work out on different parts of the body.

On non-gym days I run outside for 2 miles and then do bodyweight exercises (push ups, lunges, sprints)

I noticed with the high intensity work outs my recovery after rests and overnight were much faster while on the trail

juma
08-11-2010, 10:42
I've noticed the hiking marathoners (ones that are always in training) do move out and make big miles from the beginning. I think they have the built up heart capacity and heart strength to do the long days from the start. Training like marathoner and making sure to do a day of two of windsprints every week should yield the result you seek. Hills are the only problem that are difficult to train for unless you live near crawford notch:)

Danielsen
08-11-2010, 10:44
Lots and lots of low-mid level cardio (brisk walking, moderate cycling, running only if you can do it without panting and spiking your heart rate) daily combined with occasional high-intensity training (heavy lifts that engage the whole body, bodyweight excersizes, sprints) every other day or so will put you in good shape to handle just about anything on the trail. Obviously the training requirements for marathons are a little different. ;)

If there's anything to make that more specific to hiking, it would probably be to make the cardio mostly walking and concentrate on the lower body and stabilizers with the high-intensity training.

Mags
08-11-2010, 10:49
Nothing specific for me....

I just spend a lot of time outside on weekends (bacpacking/hiking, backcountry skiing in the winter, some climbing now), bike to work ~3 days a week on average, lift weights during the week and do some core workouts. Sprinkle in the occasional after work climb or hike.

Notice the theme? Lots of of outside time. :) Physical activity is just part of my daily life. Not bad for a guy who makes his living in front of a computer... ;)

I'm able to put down 25-30 MPD from the start (and on weekends when I can) and I'm just an average schlub.

couscous
08-11-2010, 10:50
You might get more specific help if you specify where you are planning to section hike. I'm guessing somewhere between Mt. Washington and the Maine border which would explain the quest for preparation.

1azarus
08-11-2010, 11:29
You might get more specific help if you specify where you are planning to section hike. I'm guessing somewhere between Mt. Washington and the Maine border which would explain the quest for preparation.

what a guess!!! plan now is for start at crawford notch september 11th, 6.4 miles to nauman tentsite, 14.8 miles to osgood tentsite, 17.9 miles to imp campsite, 14.9 miles to trident col tentsite, 15.5 miles to full goose shelter, then out in 9.7 miles at grafton notch. i know, fairly ambitious for an old man section hiker in that neighborhood... but since i section hike every 8 weeks year round, i was trying to figure out a regimen. so far, it is exactly like Mag's training -- fun and not very focused. maybe that's perfect.

Mags
08-11-2010, 12:01
so far, it is exactly like Mag's training -- fun and not very focused. maybe that's perfect.

Works for me anyway! :D

chelko
08-11-2010, 13:12
Over the years the only thing that I found that helps me get in shape for backpacking is backpacking. Like Lone Wolf always says "its just walking".

fredmugs
08-11-2010, 14:12
The last couple of years I have been doing 2 - 150 mile or so section hikes a year. Seems like each trip has started with a first day in the vicinity of 24 miles.

Allow me to offer a contrary opinion. I do not hike at all prior to my AT hikes. I try to do a good amount of just walking but nothing that involves being on a trail. I also do not lift any weights and I gave up running years ago.

I mostly train by riding an exercise bike and do fairly hardcore workouts. My typical workout is to hit an upright Lifecycle bike and put it on Level 16 (out of 20) for an hour. I typically ride at a 30 mph pace and burn approx 900 calories. I have also found that listening to hardcore heavy metal allows me to maintain a much faster pace. Riding the bike has made my knees stronger and allows me to recover faster during long climbs.

sbhikes
08-11-2010, 14:41
You should try to exercise outside in the air. I do a lot of urban walking and day hikes on the weekend. Sometimes I will day hike during the week.

You need to exercise outside for several reasons:
1) Walking on uneven ground is not simulated by gym workouts
2) Exercising in air-conditioning doesn't feel the same as exercising outside in the heat or cold. You have to maintain a level of acclimation to heat/humidity/sun/cold etc.

Additionally you might consider sleeping outside from time-to-time if it is hard for you to get used to your pad or the cold.

Mags
08-11-2010, 14:42
re: It's just walking

Invariably the people who state this line also complain how hard the approach trail is, how you don't need to do any preparation for a hike, how diffult the AT is physically and how if you do 'big' (15 MPD) days, you will regret it. :-?

I don't train for a hike, I just maintain a good level of fitness. Because I want to enjoy the outdoors.

It may be "just walking", but the walking is a hell of a lot more fun when I am not aching, panting and tired from being out of shape because of the 'nothing trains you for hiking like hiking' attitude.

I maintain a good fitness level, because I want to hike all weekend, explore that ridge that has no trail accessing it. Ski up to an alpine lake deep in the winter backcountry.

Sure..it's just walking. But I find it all the more enjoyable because I take time to incorporate physical activity as part of my daily life.

I do not hike at all prior to my AT hikes. I try to do a good amount of just walking but nothing that involves being on a trail. .

Sounds like hell! ;)

I love the outdoors too much to be in it for the equivalent of only 2 wks or so a year.

Again, I don't "train", I just incorporate the outdoors (and phyiscal activity) into my daily life.

10-K
08-11-2010, 15:28
I've found it much easier to stay in shape year round than to get in shape periodically.

Everybody has their own routine that works for them. I like to run but I'm not fond of weight training. Other people love to lift and hate to run. I think the important thing is not what you do, but that you do something regularly enough to reap the benefits of it.

I wish you well - I don't know if I'd ever voluntarily go hiking where you're going again in this lifetime.. :)

vinovampire
08-11-2010, 19:54
I think the best way to prepare for pretty much any backpacking trip is to focus on the three following areas of backpacking. If do anything to prepare yourself, that's just gravy.

1. Take a nice, long walk somewhere every single day, with a smile on your face, rain or snow or sleet or shine;

2. Once or twice a week, (a) sleep on the floor of your room, instead of your bed, on your sleeping pad or (b) have a cookout with your family and then sleep outside in your tent or (c) or find a sound track with the loudest possible snoring and play it while you sleep. And

3. Try to hitchhike from your home to work or the grocery store. See what it takes to hitch a ride and how you should present yourself.

If you follow these three simple steps for the next four weeks, you should be ready to backpack just about anywhere in the world.

Best!

- vINo vAMPIRe! -

vinovampire
08-11-2010, 20:30
what a guess!!! plan now is for start at crawford notch september 11th, 6.4 miles to nauman tentsite, 14.8 miles to osgood tentsite, 17.9 miles to imp campsite, 14.9 miles to trident col tentsite, 15.5 miles to full goose shelter, then out in 9.7 miles at grafton notch. i know, fairly ambitious for an old man section hiker in that neighborhood... but since i section hike every 8 weeks year round, i was trying to figure out a regimen. so far, it is exactly like Mag's training -- fun and not very focused. maybe that's perfect.

Wow! Ambitious is definitely the right word for the hike you have planned! You're pretty much planning to do a one day Presidential Traverse in mid-September. Even during the summer, the weather is so unpredictable. One trick I've learned is to keep an eye on the weather at the Mt Washington Observatory website. It's really helpful when planning a trip in the Presidential Range. You can check out the current conditions, look at the monthly trends, and listen to the morning and evening summit forecasts before you hit the trail.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

Good luck!

Danielsen
08-11-2010, 20:58

Invariably the people who state this line also complain how hard the approach trail is, how you don't need to do any preparation for a hike, how diffult the AT is physically and how if you do 'big' (15 MPD) days, you will regret it. :-?

Yep, sounds like Lone Wolf alright.

Wait, what?

modiyooch
08-11-2010, 21:55
I'm a runner. I started trail running up a mountain to improve my running. It did not improve my running, but it did improve my backpacking.

Turtle Feet
08-11-2010, 22:34
hurry up with your advice... four weeks to go.

You're cracking me up Lazarus! OK, four weeks... forget the upper body stuff (as an adult male, I suspect your upper body strength is adequate anyway), with only four weeks, you need to focus on interval training, and lower body strength.

Personally, I would suggest plyometrics 3-4x/wk (that incorporates both cardio and lower body strength), and progressively longer hikes (maybe start with a 5 miler & add another 3 miles each week). Do you own a jump rope? No? Buy one. I would. I would try to get in as many 100 rep sets a day as I had time for - each set should take you approx 2 mins. Don't know what you typically do for work, or whatever, but a jump rope travels light, compact, and doesn't cost much of anything.

GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted! :D

TF

njordan2
08-11-2010, 22:41
I found running greatly helps me. If I am able to run 6 miles in under an hour, I have always felt good on the trail, meaning, I am not excessively out of breath. Of course I get out of breath, but if I take a 3 minute standing break while climbing a hill, I know I will be able to hike another 15 or 20 minutes before having to take another break to catch my breath.

I hike one week a year on the Appalachian Trail and sporadically hike around 5 or 6 one/two/three night trips throughout the rest of the year. Leading up to hiking on the A.T. and covering 10-15miles per day, in the preceeding months I usually do this routine:

3months before, I do a 8 mile in and 8 mile out overnighter
2months before, I do a 10 or 12 mile in / out for 2 nights
1 month before I do a 3 nighter covering 5-10 miles per day.

A couple of months of before I hike, I start walking bearfoot as much as possible. I do this around the yard, at the park walking the dog, etc. I found walking in dirt and on the sidewalks helps too. This has reduced my incidence of blisters.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2010, 00:11
Yep, sounds like Lone Wolf alright.

Wait, what?

nope. i sound nothing like that. i think the trail is easy. approach trail especially

Marta
08-12-2010, 06:04
Over the years the only thing that I found that helps me get in shape for backpacking is backpacking. Like Lone Wolf always says "its just walking".

While I sort of agree with this statement, I've mostly heard that line from couch potatoes/keyboard wizards, who then find backpacking to be incredibly arduous. "Just walking" is beyond the physical ability of the very unfit, and there are lots of very unfit people around these days.

So I actually come down on the side of the folks who say "Get outside and do something every day." Walk, run, cycle, build a house, lay brick... Work up a sweat and learn to love being in a non-temperature-controlled environment!

I digress. Sorry. Have a great hike!

JAK
08-12-2010, 06:42
Pack light. Drop some weight over the next 3 weeks with as much walking as you can. Run at most 1 hour a day, but try to get at least 2 additional hours of walking in. Whatever maximizes the calories per day, not so much to lose weight but to train the body for a high capacity for work and recovery. Taper the last week to just 30 minutes a day, running. Rest up completely the last day or 2. Rock the casbah.

Hike hills if you got 'em.

fredmugs
08-12-2010, 08:13

I don't train for a hike, I just maintain a good level of fitness. Because I want to enjoy the outdoors.

It may be "just walking", but the walking is a hell of a lot more fun when I am not aching, panting and tired from being out of shape because of the 'nothing trains you for hiking like hiking' attitude.

I maintain a good fitness level, because I want to hike all weekend, explore that ridge that has no trail accessing it. Ski up to an alpine lake deep in the winter backcountry.

Sure..it's just walking. But I find it all the more enjoyable because I take time to incorporate physical activity as part of my daily life.

Sounds like hell! ;)

I love the outdoors too much to be in it for the equivalent of only 2 wks or so a year.

It is hell. I live in BF Indiana where a 250 ft elevation gain is considered a mountain. I could drive 45 minutes and walk on a trail in a state forest or just walk around my town locally. With heat indexes around 110 that's kinda hard to do right now.

I train myself to be in the shape I want to be in. That allows me to knock out big mileage days (20+) without the associated pain. Riding an exercise bike has actually allowed me to strengthen my knees. The point I was trying to make is you do not have to actually hike to get in shape for an AT hike. You certainly do not have to lug around a full pack either.

George
08-12-2010, 08:21
the only training I generally do is some up + down steep slopes to stretch the hamstrings, it takes me about 2 weeks to get up to speed on a hike, after that I notice no further improvement

sbhikes
08-12-2010, 13:08
Whenever I say that the best training for backpacking is backpacking what I personally mean is you should go backpacking as often as possible. One trip a year isn't enough. There are so many things about backpacking you can't really train for such as:

- getting used to the little bruises on your collarbones from the straps (or whatever)
- getting used to sleeping on the ground
- getting used to being out in the weater (hot or cold)
- understanding your equipment
- understanding the difference between pain and discomfort
- understanding the difference between discomfort and danger (Example: some newbies will bail out on a hike because a water source was dry, considering that to be a danger rather than accept thirst as a discomfort and go to the next water source.)

Among lots of other things.

flemdawg1
08-12-2010, 13:38
I'm a runner. I started trail running up a mountain to improve my running. It did not improve my running, but it did improve my backpacking.

It will definately help you if you're in a trail race, but not the run-of-the mill asphalt road 10k.

Definately reccomend running, when I have a base mileage of about 30 miles/week, it seems like the only factor effecting the mpd hiked was the length of daylight hours. And hill repeats to strengthen your quads.

weary
08-12-2010, 17:44
Search out the roughest and hilliest trails you can conveniently find near where you live and walk them as much as possible with a pack on your back. It's great training for a section hike -- and for achieving a healthy body for whatever you may aspire to do.

Weary

fredmugs
08-13-2010, 08:11
Wow! If I did what you people do I could hike 30 miles a day.

I have 8 weeks to prepare for a 150 section that will include most of the Whites. I plan to accomplish this by riding the crap out my real and exercise bikes, cutting the carbs out of my diet, and walking in general to get my feet accustomed to the pounding.

The only hill work I will do is whatever I encounter on my bike which isn't much where I live. Climbing really isn't a problem for me though it is the descents that kill my knees. The 12.5 miles up Mt Washington was not that hard. The 13.5 miles going down was agony.

When I train on an exercise bike I do not drink water until I am done. I do 1 hour rides and when I am actually on the AT I tend to go for an hour and then take a break and that seems to work out really well for me.

I started my last hike at 211 pounds. I plan to start the next one btw 190 - 195.

Kerosene
08-13-2010, 08:43
Play soccer...seriously. Great all-around workout and fun. Of course, it's getting harder to deal with recovering from injuries. Regular basketball games are almost as good.

My next trip (Pinkham Notch to Rangeley) is likely to be a lot harder as I've had knee problems since March, but I've tried to keep the starting mileage reasonable.

MattBuck30
08-13-2010, 09:39
Find a good hill, load up your backpack, and hike up and down it continuously. I have found that this is the best way to prepare your legs/shoulders. I usually put 30-40lbs in my pack. Since the AT is full of constant up and downs, this is the best way to get used to it!

Tilly
08-14-2010, 12:34
It is hell. I live in BF Indiana where a 250 ft elevation gain is considered a mountain. I could drive 45 minutes and walk on a trail in a state forest or just walk around my town locally. With heat indexes around 110 that's kinda hard to do right now.

I train myself to be in the shape I want to be in. That allows me to knock out big mileage days (20+) without the associated pain. Riding an exercise bike has actually allowed me to strengthen my knees. The point I was trying to make is you do not have to actually hike to get in shape for an AT hike. You certainly do not have to lug around a full pack either.

If you live in Bloomington, I actually find the Knobstone Trail to be a very good AT prep hike. Sure, the elevation gain/loss isn't huge, but there are a few of them...

Mags
08-15-2010, 22:19
If you live in Bloomington, I actually find the Knobstone Trail to be a very good AT prep hike. Sure, the elevation gain/loss isn't huge, but there are a few of them...

..and when I lived in Rhode Island (Highest point 810 ft!), I was able to do hikes in the local open space, Audubon sanctuary, mgmt areas, etc.

Always places to hike...or at least stroll. :)

fredmugs
08-16-2010, 09:24
I've hiked the kneebuster a couple of times. Better than nothing for sure but, like I posted earlier, I don't need to hike to prepare for an AT hike.

Strategic
08-16-2010, 09:56

Again, I don't "train", I just incorporate the outdoors (and phyiscal activity) into my daily life.

Actually, though I know that's not the way you meant it, I pretty much agree with the "nothing trains you for hiking like hiking" statement if by that it's meant that you should train for trips by,well...hiking.

I know you were referring to the "I don't need no stinkin' trainin'" attitude, Mags, which really is pretty silly. But it seems to me that all this stuff about wind sprints and running and weight-lifting rather misses the point. Marathon runners don't train by going to the weight room, they train by running shorter distances as much as possible. So too, I train for the trail by hiking shorter distances as much as possible. I'm out for two or three miles almost every day, with longer dayhikes at every opportunity. It works pretty well and lets me put in sections with decent mileage/day whenever I get the chance to plan them.

I'm ready to hike because I already do hike, simple as that, which is exactly the kind of thing you're recommending.

1azarus
08-16-2010, 12:02
my old man training regimen and hiking approach has been really stable for the last few years at:

push ups, stomach crunches, stretching in the morning.

walk to work and walk around during the day related to work -- 2 miles. (ain't small town living great?)

sneak away for a 6 to 8 mile afternoon hike once a week -- often on the AT, but I know every state park within 2 hours drive now.

step machine in front of tv every evening -- 1/2 hour.

eat really well and not be overweight.

carry next to nothing when hiking.

i am interested in the jump rope suggestion... Even CT AT hills get my heart pumping -- but that is only once a week, and the step machine isn't that strenuous. I don't seem to be able to run to save my life, but I could try that, too. well, maybe the jump rope first!

Grinder
08-16-2010, 12:37
two big differences of the trail rom the rest of the world.
1 pack weight
2Climbing

Your training had better allow for both items or you will be disappointed when you get there.

I like climbing stadiums with my pack on. That gets me panting like the trail does.

BUT, it's getting hard to find an unlocked stadium

Good luck to you

1azarus
08-16-2010, 12:50
funny,a million years ago i was on a ski team that regularly had us climbing stadium steps -- carrying each other. with me weighing in at 135 pounds, that was about the only time in my entire college experience that i was really popular.

i've solved the pack weight problem -- i won't ever be carrying more than 10 pounds on this coming trip. plenty of places to get food and water along the way, so 1 pound of food and 3 pounds of water will work for me.

about the climbing... i hear you, that is my major concern -- mostly since it is often sustained climbing.

two big differences of the trail rom the rest of the world.
1 pack weight
2Climbing

Your training had better allow for both items or you will be disappointed when you get there.

I like climbing stadiums with my pack on. That gets me panting like the trail does.

BUT, it's getting hard to find an unlocked stadium

Good luck to you

Mags
08-16-2010, 14:58
I pretty much agree with the "nothing trains you for hiking like hiking" statement if by that it's meant that you should train for trips by,well...hiking.

Most (not all) people who state that are couch potatoes who try to shave 3oz off their pack rather than 30 lbs off their gut. That's really what I meant.

As for professional athletes, most cross train.

Since I also backcountry ski (and now alpine climb), I lift weights and work on my core for better overall strength in all my activities.

Not trying to get bulky, but a some upper body mass (and not as defined core..sigh) makes my activities easier.

But, I really don't have any particular recommendation for 'training'...just be active and you'll find hiking easier..and more fun. :) (And I think we agree on that!)

Remember, I keep it simple. I merely hike, ski, climb, bike and some weight training thrown in. Don't know my VO2 max, or what antioxidant works well or what GNC is selling to make my muscle growth faster. :D

weary
08-16-2010, 17:44
Some of my first jobs many years ago, was work as a skinny, bookish kid, on crews that required periods of hard physical labor. The strongest guys I met tended to be foremen and leaders that interspersed short vigorous episodes with long periods of mostly sedentary activity.

I noticed the same as I got into serious hiking and backpacking. Guys who hiked religiously daily and weekly tended to drift behind those less dedicated, but who pushed themselves periodically into relatively short bursts of massive effort.

What, if anything, all this means escapes me. But I also suspect that the most successful humans in earlier millennia were those most capable of short bursts of intensive energy, followed by less strenuous efforts.

I'll let wiser folks than me speculate on how these observations may relate to section hikers.

I know that occasionally well trained athletic type have wondered how I could keep up with only monthly weekend backpacking trips, when my only other exercise was skipping the elevators and climbing five flights to the company lunch room for coffee and such a few times daily.

Not being very sociable -- has anyone noticed that -- I did wander the streets for a bit daily to comply with the union contract requirement that we take a full lunch hour.

Weary

johnnybgood
08-16-2010, 19:01
Train yourself daily by exercising and not sitting on your duff.

Make walking ...even if you're just a street walker ... er wait ...that didn't come out right--even if you're walking or jogging in your neighborhood for 20 minutes will go along way to maintaining a high level of fitness.

I'm not a big advocate of a regimented style workout program .... I'm somewhat hesitant in beginning the P90 physical conditioning program for that very reason .

Just continue to be active , and for me hiking is a big motivator in wanting to stay fit. Getting back in hiking shape becomes more difficult the older you get so maintaining a certain level of fitness is paramount.

Danielsen
08-16-2010, 22:16
Some of my first jobs many years ago, was work as a skinny, bookish kid, on crews that required periods of hard physical labor. The strongest guys I met tended to be foremen and leaders that interspersed short vigorous episodes with long periods of mostly sedentary activity.

I noticed the same as I got into serious hiking and backpacking. Guys who hiked religiously daily and weekly tended to drift behind those less dedicated, but who pushed themselves periodically into relatively short bursts of massive effort.

What, if anything, all this means escapes me. But I also suspect that the most successful humans in earlier millennia were those most capable of short bursts of intensive energy, followed by less strenuous efforts.

I'll let wiser folks than me speculate on how these observations may relate to section hikers.

I know that occasionally well trained athletic type have wondered how I could keep up with only monthly weekend backpacking trips, when my only other exercise was skipping the elevators and climbing five flights to the company lunch room for coffee and such a few times daily.

Not being very sociable -- has anyone noticed that -- I did wander the streets for a bit daily to comply with the union contract requirement that we take a full lunch hour.

Weary

Well, occasional shortish high-intensity episodes of activity (like sprinting or bounding up some stairs) interspersed with general low-level aerobic activity (like hiking/walking or low-intensity cycling) have been shown to be associated with the same sort of endurance benefits as the traditional constant training at mid-to-high intensity levels: except that the constant training is associated with overuse injury, immune system suppression and elevated levels of stress hormones. The more varied training methods (often referred to as High Intensity Interval Training) give muscles and bones time to recover and hormones time to regulate.

So really, your observations make a whole heck of a lot of sense. :cool:

Fishbamboo
08-16-2010, 22:39
I have yet to get out for a hike, but I am trying to get into shape. At age 62.5, I cut my grass four days a week. I have two acers and I cut it with a push 17" craftman. I also do sets of push-up 10 at a time while I watch TV. I will be getting out to walk with my pack on as soon as the temp. drops below 80. That should be in a month or so. In the mean time I am still getting equipment bought and ready, and reading this site. Great information.

fredmugs
08-17-2010, 07:29

Weary

That's a very interesting observation since I do that but not on purpose (I think). When I hike I tend to cruise along at maybe 2.5 - 3 mph but push almost as hard as I can on every climb. Downhill I go as slow as possible to protect my knees. Backing down the pace has allowed me to hike more miles a day and helps prevent hotspotting.

It's also a reason I don't hike well with others. I go hard when I feel like it and back it down when I don't. I don't see how people can maintain a steady pace all day long.

1azarus
09-20-2010, 12:47
well, back from the hike, and i must say walking the Whites and southern Maine is a humbling experience. I did make my goal miles, though, and have to credit that to staying in walking shape, as well as to carrying a really light pack. I'll definitely remember the 18 or so miles from the Osgood tentsite to the Imp campsite as the most demanding day i've ever walked. When 10K says he won't be racing back to do that section again, well, i think i'm starting to agree.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2010, 12:50
i walked Gorham to Grafton Notch one time. i felt that one

JAK
09-20-2010, 13:35
Glad you hiked your hike. Way to get in shape and get 'er done.
So what is your next one?

I am thinking of the Fundy Footpath for a weekender. Haven't done it in the fall yet.
I've been getting out for trail runs, but I need to make time for day hikes.

fredmugs
09-20-2010, 13:55
well, back from the hike, and i must say walking the Whites and southern Maine is a humbling experience. I did make my goal miles, though, and have to credit that to staying in walking shape, as well as to carrying a really light pack. I'll definitely remember the 18 or so miles from the Osgood tentsite to the Imp campsite as the most demanding day i've ever walked. When 10K says he won't be racing back to do that section again, well, i think i'm starting to agree.

Congrats! I plan to be out there in 19 days.

1azarus
09-20-2010, 18:12
Glad you hiked your hike. Way to get in shape and get 'er done.
So what is your next one?

I am thinking of the Fundy Footpath for a weekender. Haven't done it in the fall yet.
I've been getting out for trail runs, but I need to make time for day hikes.

trying to decide... i've got about 500 miles of AT left north of Sam's Gap, Tennessee, mostly in Virginia, and another 280 miles of maine more or less. Want to plan a November, January and April hike... all around 4 days.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-20-2010, 20:13
I try to work out everyday at the gym-mostly cardio but over the years I have never found it never fully prepares you like just hiking-speaking of marathon runners -ran into one in maine two weeks ago in the 100 mile wilderness who did 30 miles -his feet looked like hamburger and were almost a solid bandage -he called shaws and bailed out the next day he thought he could do the wilderness in three days he told us the 30 miles was harder than any marathon he had run-I think the lesson is pace yourself I never thought of hiking the AT as a race or clocking big miles I just walk till I get somewhat tired and hang my hammock

Big Dawg
09-20-2010, 20:38
I've been doing my best to stay on a training regimen these past few months. I've got an 88 mile hike coming up mid-October. I've been doing Power90, and hiking w/ a loaded pack locally every chance I get. I've been getting in 25 to 35 miles a week. I've recently been trying to get in more day trips to small mountains an hour away to work on more sustained climbing. Hopefully it will give me more stamina & better recovery on my upcoming hike. We'll see...