PDA

View Full Version : my dog needs a new backpack

lucky luke
08-11-2010, 11:19
howdy,

my dog needs a good backpack. he is a 100 pound rhodesian ridgeback/farmhoundmix. he looks mostly like a rr without the ridge. his old pack has been with me for 25 years and it is definitely outdated.

so i am looking to get a new pack. nothing decent seems available in shops here in germany. so far the nicest i found on german websites is the

ruffwear new palisades in size L.

do you guys have any suggestions about what else is good?

mr. meany carries a lot. not necessarily a lot of weight, but a lot of volume, so he needs big volume bags.

thanks
lucky luke

BigToe
08-11-2010, 12:56
In my opinion, the RuffWear packs are excellent - I recently purchased the RuffWear Approach pack:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11273583@N03/4784887168/
and am very pleased with the quality and fit. RuffWear is a bit spendy but if you keep it for 20+ years like your last one, it's not so bad!

CatchUp
08-11-2010, 13:02
howdy,

my dog needs a good backpack. he is a 100 pound rhodesian ridgeback/farmhoundmix. he looks mostly like a rr without the ridge. his old pack has been with me for 25 years and it is definitely outdated.

so i am looking to get a new pack. nothing decent seems available in shops here in germany. so far the nicest i found on german websites is the

ruffwear new palisades in size L.

do you guys have any suggestions about what else is good?

mr. meany carries a lot. not necessarily a lot of weight, but a lot of volume, so he needs big volume bags.

thanks
lucky luke

Mr. Meany???? HAHA!!!

Rick500
08-11-2010, 13:14
My dog (75-pound golden retriever) has a Granite Gear RuffRider pack, and it seems to do the job well. He likes wearing it and it seems to fit well.

(Disclaimer, though: we haven't been on any really long walks with it, just 4 or 5 miles at a time. But I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work just fine for longer trips.)

kanga
08-11-2010, 13:35
by far, the best pack i've used for my girls:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack?sc=2&category=13

on every other pack i've tried, even other ruff wear packs, there is some rubbing/chafing. in the two years that bella has been wearing this approach pack, no rubs, no problems.

wirerat123
08-11-2010, 13:36
Ceasar Milan suggests the Outward Hound packs. They are very inexpensive. I don't know how they'll hold up on trail though.

lucky luke
08-12-2010, 08:03
thanks all!

does anyone have experience with the mountainsmith packs?

both of the ruffwear packs hold only 18 liters, not really a lot.

the mtnsmith dog pack holds 30 liters but seems to have less of a harness to it than the ruffwear packs.

and yes, the name is mr. meany. even though thats about the only thing he is not :D .

greets
lucky luke

CatchUp
08-12-2010, 10:56
thanks all!

does anyone have experience with the mountainsmith packs?

both of the ruffwear packs hold only 18 liters, not really a lot.

the mtnsmith dog pack holds 30 liters but seems to have less of a harness to it than the ruffwear packs.

and yes, the name is mr. meany. even though thats about the only thing he is not :D .

greets
lucky luke

That is an adorable name :)

kanga
08-12-2010, 11:05
the mountainsmiths are longer and mostly flop all over the place. not snug at all.

lucky luke
08-13-2010, 10:53
That is an adorable name :)

:bananayes! and it keeps nasty grownups away and kids just love it. name and dog!

ok, i have decided to go with the ruffwear palisades. the main reason is that i can take off the bags at breaks and hard spots easily. wo do take a lot of short brakes and also do a lot of alpine stuff that envolves little climbing.

thanks for your input,
cu
lucky luke + mr. meany

the goat
08-13-2010, 11:19
stay away from the mountainsmith dog pack.

it's useless, fits poorly, and is an overall piece of s h 1 t

Country Roads
08-16-2010, 19:46
Ruff wear packs rock! My dog loves hers. She is a medium dog, but slender, so she uses a small. It has enough room for her stuff for 3 or 4 days.
I tried a Kelty chuckwagon medium, but it was too large for her slender frame, but it did seem to have a lot of room and had you could expand it some. It seemed well made and well padded. I have heard that it has a tendency to slide forward on steep downhills.. A friend now has it for her husky, it fits him well, so maybe that will not be a problem for him.

I love your dogs name!

Harley&Me
08-22-2010, 10:52
My dog wore a Ruff Wear Pallisades pack. It fit great (size medium for a 75lb lab) and I really liked the fact that it was removable (Don't have to unclip the whole harness every time you stop.

lucky luke
09-01-2010, 14:12
howdy,
just wanted to let you know that both, mr. meany and I!, love his new ruffwear palisades pack in size L. it carries food for 5 days, the load comes off easily in breaks, the harness stays on.

excellent choice, thanks for your input here!

happy trails
lucky luke