PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap to US 19E - 185 miles

Lyle
08-11-2010, 14:34
Will be catching a shuttle from Mountain Harbour hostel in Roan Mountain, TN to Newfound Gap on September 10th. Will hike on up to Icewater Shelter, then on back to the hostel over the next couple of weeks. Total of about 185 trail miles.

Not actually looking for a partner, but anyone with similar plans is welcome to join a rough, informal alliance dependent on pace, personality, etc. I'm sure there will be plenty of other hikers and, from what I hear from GSMNP staff, plenty of bears. Looking forward to getting out there for a while.

SmokeEater
08-11-2010, 15:06
I will be stopping in Newfound gap on the 8th of sept and leaving back out on the 9. If you can get out a day earlier u should.

Lyle
08-11-2010, 15:50
Smokeater,

What are your plans? How far you heading?

I'm just planning to hit Icewater on the 10th, Tri-Corner on the 11th, Cosby Knob on the 12th, and Standing Bear on the 13th. Beyond that, it's pretty much play it by ear. Have the reservations already for inside the park.

Was warned of lots of bear activity, especially in the Cosby Knob area.

Would be good to hike with you again.

HikerMom58
08-11-2010, 15:55
Interesting....my daughter and I plan to do that exact hike from Newfound Gap to 19E. It's the section she skipped earlier this year. We didn't have a date set yet but were thinking of the end of August early Sept... She hiked 400 miles already this year...she wants to have done 1/2 the trail by the end of 2010. I'm just going along with her, this time out. We live in Roanoke...5 miles from Daleville, VA. We would have my husband drop us off and pick us up. It's always nice to hike with others. This is good to know! :)

HikerMom58
08-11-2010, 16:00
Hummmm.......lots of bear activity, huh?

Lyle
08-11-2010, 16:15
Interesting....my daughter and I plan to do that exact hike from Newfound Gap to 19E. It's the section she skipped earlier this year. We didn't have a date set yet but were thinking of the end of August early Sept... She hiked 400 miles already this year...she wants to have done 1/2 the trail by the end of 2010. I'm just going along with her, this time out. We live in Roanoke...5 miles from Daleville, VA. We would have my husband drop us off and pick us up. It's always nice to hike with others. This is good to know! :)

Cool, with this hike, I will have completed 1173.3 miles of the AT, just over half. Plenty of other non-AT miles as well, but my plan is to complete the AT before retirement, three years from next month.

Maybe I'll see you out there.

SmokeEater
08-11-2010, 16:23
Smokeater,

I'm just planning to hit Icewater on the 10th, Tri-Corner on the 11th, Cosby Knob on the 12th, and Standing Bear on the 13th. Beyond that, it's pretty much play it by ear. Have the reservations already for inside the park.

We got our reservations the other day. Better get them quick the guy I talked to said they have been very busy this year.
5th-birch springs
6th-Spence Field
7th-Siler bald
8th-Newfound gap
9th-peckcorner
10th-cosby
11th-Davenport
Wish i could go farther but I dont have the vacation time right now. Where are u stopping at? I

SmokeEater
08-11-2010, 16:23
Smokeater,

We got our reservations the other day. Better get them quick the guy I talked to said they have been very busy this year.
5th-birch springs
6th-Spence Field
7th-Siler bald
8th-Newfound gap
9th-peckcorner
10th-cosby
11th-Davenport
Wish i could go farther but I dont have the vacation time right now. Where are u stopping at? I hope we can meet up.

SmokeEater
08-11-2010, 16:25
Not sure how I double posted?

Lyle
08-11-2010, 16:41
Looks like I'll be two days behind, make sure to leave some register entries. I'm heading to US 19E, few days north of Erwin. Due to the way my days off work, I can't get there much earlier. Arranging days like I have them, I end up with 3 weeks off and only using 2 weeks vacation. Could change things a week either way, but not a couple of days - gotta take advantage of the best arrangement.

Hope to hike into Damascus next spring for trail days if you can arrange something similar.

SmokeEater
08-11-2010, 17:02
Hope to hike into Damascus next spring for trail days if you can arrange something similar.[/QUOTE]

I will see what i can do im planning on doing two trips next year if all goes well. Be sure to let me know how your trip goes.