PDA

View Full Version : 300 Miles! (At least)

Rush2112
08-11-2010, 14:40
So, I was going to give myself an entire month for an E2E, but that looks like a gross overestimation of the time I'll need. I'm in pretty good shape and am a fairly experienced hiker/backpacker and should complete it quicker than that based on what I've been reading here and elsewhere. So I figure why not round off my mileage to a nice 300? Or more, actually, I just want to push it into the 300 mile range. What side trails (I understand there are many) would you all recommend? Good views, shelters, sites, or whatever other attractions are all good reasons.

RedneckRye
08-11-2010, 14:48
How about following the AT east to NH?

Mags
08-11-2010, 14:51
So I figure why not round off my mileage to a nice 300?

Start your hike (or end it) at Greylock just over the Mass/VT line. Makes a nice highpoint to start/end the trail. Factor in the side trails (non-AT) to reach the summit and that puts you close to the 300 mile mark. (About 290 +/- IIRC).

Now that I think about it, there is the Journey's End trail to hike to or from the Northern Terminus of LT. That's ~ another 3 'bonus' miles as well if you do not drive up the (by Eastern standards) rough dirt road.

Rush2112
08-11-2010, 15:03
How about following the AT east to NH?

I considered it, but I really like the idea of doing an E2E.

RedneckRye
08-11-2010, 19:36
I considered it, but I really like the idea of doing an E2E.
Easy, head east at Maine Junction, pick up re-supply in Hanover, turn around, walk back to The Inn at Long Trail, have a pint, continue walking to Canada (or Massachusetts)!
E2E, with bonus miles.