PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry one adult with young child

HooKooDooKu
08-11-2010, 14:46
I've been taking my son on over-night camping trips, and I take various precautions given that I seen hiking with a young child as being MORE dangerous than hiking alone.

I can list some of the precautions I've taken, but I'm interested in what suggestions others might have.

1. First and foremost is letting someone (mom) know the details of our itenerary.

2. Keeping him in sight at all times. Not only does this avoid the possibility of him getting lost, it also minimizes the chances he'll face a "wild life" encounter alone.

3. Have him carry a wistle. It's obviously easier to blow than shout to get someone's attention if there is a problem, but it's also a simple tool to scare away undesired wild-life.

4. Minimizing trip durations - less time waiting for help should you need it.

5. Education. Teaching him what to do should he ever find himself alone (i.e. if I become incapasitated for any reason). The main things include staying put on/near the trail until someone realizes we're late and sends help, what to do should he have any "wild life" encounters, and how to stay warm and dry.

6. If possible, plan a hike where you're likely to see other people (i.e. stay on popular trails and camp sites).

Other suggestions?

The Solemates
08-11-2010, 15:00
i dont understand. it wouldnt be solo if you are with him.

The Solemates
08-11-2010, 15:01
how old is the boy?

Alligator
08-11-2010, 15:02
You mention it, but really make sure they can get their rain gear on.

7. Don't leave from the tent at night by yourself, wake the adult up to use the bathroom.

8. Care around the fire ring. Little ones are clumsy.

perrito
08-11-2010, 15:31
I've been taking my son on solo over-night camping trips, and I take various precautions given that I seen hiking with a young child as being MORE dangerous than hiking alone.

I can list some of the precautions I've taken, but I'm interested in what suggestions others might have.

1. First and foremost is letting someone (mom) know the details of our itenerary.

Definitely.

2. Keeping him in sight at all times. Not only does this avoid the possibility of him getting lost, it also minimizes the chances he'll face a "wild life" encounter alone.

I took my 13yo daughter out on her first overnighter last month and a third of a mile into the trip I came within half a step of a rattler sunning itself on the trail. She likes to take the lead sometimes but this scared me a little. I would let her walk in front when we were on shaded sections if she wanted. Even then I reminded her to keep an eye on the trail.

3. Have him carry a wistle. It's obviously easier to blow than shout to get someone's attention if there is a problem, but it's also a simple tool to scare away undesired wild-life.

Same here.

4. Minimizing trip durations - less time waiting for help should you need it.

Nah.

5. Education. Teaching him what to do should he ever find himself alone (i.e. if I become incapasitated for any reason). The main things include staying put on/near the trail until someone realizes we're late and sends help, what to do should he have any "wild life" encounters, and how to stay warm and dry.

6. If possible, plan a hike where you're likely to see other people (i.e. stay on popular trails and camp sites).

Other suggestions?

I was particularly careful of her feet. She used Hydropel ointment and liners under her socks. I would periodically ask her if she had any hotspots or uncomfortable areas on her feet and made adjustments when necessary. Any foot issues for kids makes the trip suck for them. I wanted her first backpacking trip to be as positive as possible.

bulldog49
08-11-2010, 18:10
By definition you aren't hiking solo when you hike with someone else.

Without knowing his age, it's impossible to offer safety suggestions.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2010, 18:21
Age is an important factor, try to keep it fun and do the talking games like "I SPY" above all keep it short and big rewards at the end like a milkshake.

HooKooDooKu
08-12-2010, 09:57
In my case, I started taking my son into the back-country when we was 6yo. Today he's 7yo going on 8.

I started taking him on short day hikes when he was 4yo. But at that age, he just didn't have the foot coordination needed to hike, I had to hold his hand on any down hill section. At age 5, he was still tripping over tree roots and such.

But he got his foot work up to par that at age 6, he hiked to Mt LeConte Lodge with me on Alum Cave Trail. The following year, he did it again, but this time up Bull Head and down Rainbow. That same year, I took him for his first trip to stay in a tent... he hiked from Clingman's Dome Parking lot, up to and along the AT, down Goshen Prong (camped) and on down into Elkmont.

HooKooDooKu
08-12-2010, 10:04
Age is an important factor, try to keep it fun and do the talking games like "I SPY" above all keep it short and big rewards at the end like a milkshake.

Fortunately he enjoys hiking itself enough that I don't have to "play games" to keep him interested... how ever we do have to stop from time to time to investigate the latest creture we've encountered (or draw in the snow we encountered at the top of LeConte).

I've also been VERY pround of how well he behaves while we're in the back-country. There's been very few times I've had to fuss at him. I guess he's paid attention to some of the lectures I've given on the "potential" dangers in the back-country that we all have to be aware of so that we can stay safe.

The Solemates
08-12-2010, 10:20
In my case, I started taking my son into the back-country when we was 6yo. Today he's 7yo going on 8.

I started taking him on short day hikes when he was 4yo. But at that age, he just didn't have the foot coordination needed to hike, I had to hold his hand on any down hill section. At age 5, he was still tripping over tree roots and such.

But he got his foot work up to par that at age 6, he hiked to Mt LeConte Lodge with me on Alum Cave Trail. The following year, he did it again, but this time up Bull Head and down Rainbow. That same year, I took him for his first trip to stay in a tent... he hiked from Clingman's Dome Parking lot, up to and along the AT, down Goshen Prong (camped) and on down into Elkmont.

i dont think there are that many restrictions/advice for an 8 yr old. i know i was hiking right along with my dad when i was that age.

Fiddleback
08-12-2010, 11:32
Leave the itinerary with Mom...but be sure to leave it with someone else too, e.g. 'the office', your boss, co-workers, etc.

Leaving an itinerary with the sole (?) family member left at home is a weak-link precaution for you on the trail and doesn't allow for much emergency communication to flow the other way (home-to-trail) if needed.

And while there's some risk of vandalism, I always leave my name, address and itinerary on the dashboard of the vehicle left at the trail head. That helps emergency responders know they've got the right auto and locale and accounts for last minute changes I made upon arrival at the trail but not included on those itineraries left at home/office.

FB

mdbuckman
08-23-2010, 17:41
Thanks for the question and the great advice