PDA

View Full Version : How far off the trail?

Rush2112
08-11-2010, 15:22
As I get more and more of this planning done, I'm getting down more and more to the specifics of just how may days I'm going to spend out there. Is it easy to resupply during an E2E, or will I have to take a day off every 4-5 days for a resupply day?

Praha4
08-11-2010, 21:00
you have plenty of time to plan. I suggest you order these from the Green Mountain Club:

a. Long Trail Guide
b. Long Trail Map
c. End to Ender's Guidebook

these will help you plan your hike, resupply points, shelter locations, terrain contour, water sources, etc. Days between resupply are of course a funtion of how many miles per day you hike and how many day's provisions you choose to carry with you. From what I've seen so far, there are plenty of resupply points along the Long Trail, and you can either zero if you want to rest at resupply points, or you can hitch into town, do your food shopping, and then hitch back to the trail and resume hiking.

good luck and enjoy your trip.

NorthCountryWoods
08-16-2010, 08:29
Depends on how fast you're going and how light you prefer to travel. Just about all resupply possibilities other than mail drops at the Inn at the LT (which is technically off trail as well) and Jonesville PO, are miles off trail.

Rick500
08-16-2010, 09:59
Love your forum name, btw. Going to see them in a couple weeks. :)

pedxing
08-18-2010, 15:09
In three E2Es, I've never had to spend more than about 4 hours on a resupply (Hitching, shoping, getting a meal and sometimes doing laundry). Manchester, Waitsfield/Bristol from App Gap, Johnson, the Jonesville PO, the Long Trail Inn, Bennington are all pretty easy re-supplies in my experience. Middlebury Gap should be easy if you time the bus schedule right. Vermont is very friendly to hitch hiking backpackers.

couscous
08-18-2010, 15:55
Have you read the thread - Long trail re-supply (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57208)