PDA

View Full Version : Meeting at Katahdin

Alex Bingham
08-11-2010, 19:00
Hi--I'm picking up my son, Castor, at Katahdin as he finishes up his thru-hike (he's just entering 100-mile wilderness in Maine, anticipates finishing in 5 days). What's the best way to meet up with the hikers? Visitors center, trail head (which one)? Any info would be appreciated. Alex (Padre)

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2010, 20:51
If you enter Baxter State Park on a day-use basis you should then proceed to Katahdin Stream campground. There's a nice picnic pavillion there located right next to the Trail, and it'd be a perfect place to meet your son and his friends as they come down off the mountain after summiting.

peakbagger
08-12-2010, 08:07
I agree with Jack, but do need to point out the need to reserve a parking permit to park at Katahdin Stream (especially on weekends). It can be done by phone or on the web, here is a link to the rules and how to do it.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingParking.html

Due to the demand for day hikers to climb the mountain, the parking spaces at Katahdin Stream, Roaring Brook and Abol are in big demand and therefore the need for reservations. Do note that driving in the park with out of state plates will also require paying for a road permit (Somewhere around 10 bucks) plus the parking reservation ($8).

It unfortunate that he is out of touch as a great option is for him to keep going after the summit over the Knifes Edge trail and down Helon Taylor Trail to Roaring Brook Campground (the same parking reservations apply)

If you havent been to the park before, there are limitations on vehicle size (no campers) and the roads are quite narrow and sometimes rough, they are not impasable but do require some care. Its about 25 minutes from the gate to Katahdin Stream.

Alex Bingham
08-12-2010, 14:35
Thanks for info on Knifes Edge Trail and about the parking permits. Is it easier to pick someone up at Roaring Brook Campground? Is it a shorter hike from Summit than to Katahdin Stream?

peakbagger
08-12-2010, 16:54
Its about the same drive for you but the Knifes Edge trail is regarded as one of the most spectacular trails in the Northeast. Just google it and you will see. Its about the same distance down, but is only to be done in great weather. There is an alternate route down via the Saddle trail that also ends at Roaring Brook. If he isnt into heights, the Knifes Edge is definitely not recomended as there is a 1000 foot plus drop on either side of a trail that is 4 to 6 feet wide in spots.

Roughin' It
08-12-2010, 19:13
Castor is an awesome guy, I met him early on, and that's it, but I heard he plays a mean harmonica, and sounds alot like Bob Dylan when he sings.

jersey joe
08-12-2010, 20:57
When I thru hiked I met my family at Katahdin Stream Campground. They were waiting right at the pavillion that Jack mentioned. They hiked up Katahdin with me.

10-K
08-12-2010, 21:24
I was originally going to have family meet me in BSP but it turned out to be a lot simpler just to tell them I'd meet them in Millinocket.

I was able to hitch a ride out of Baxter before I even got as far as the Birches on the way out of the park and was in Millinocket waiting on my family within an hour and a half of getting down off Kathadin.