PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiker Gives Advice

DapperD
08-11-2010, 20:49
Saw this article on the web:http://www.bucktrack.com/Thru-hiking_the_Appalachian_Trail.html was wondering if other's have read this. He talks about his thru-hike and gives advice to other's who are contemplating one.

Spokes
08-11-2010, 22:39
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

Mountain Wildman
08-11-2010, 23:44
I was thinking about this article last week, It's the first one I came across when I started to research the A.T. and hiking. This is the one that got me started on my path to a Thru-Hike next year. I am going to read it again and see if it is still as inspirational.
Thanks!!

BrianLe
08-12-2010, 11:01
Having just done the AT this year (finished a couple weeks ago now), I have to say that the Colter's summary is a very good one, it all rings very true, aligns well with the experience I had this year. I tried to read up a bit on the AT before I went (I'm not from the east coast ...), but this bit was the part that didn't really register for me until I walked it myself:

"The trail was so steep and slippery in some places in New England that it was hard for me to believe that it was the AT. Of course, there were hundreds of miles of mellow trail too, and it doesn't take a mountain climber to do the AT."

Doesn't take a mountain climber, but it wouldn't at all be a bad thing to have climbed at least a fairly easy (non-technical) mountain or two beforehand. I trained for both of my thru-hikes primarily by walking a lot; for the AT I now think that ideal training might include some stairs or a stairmaster, i.e., a bit more training to climb mixed in with walking.

Bottom line though, good summary, great advice.

DapperD
08-13-2010, 09:53
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare HareI think we'll pass on the Dogwoods, maybe you need to go find an airport;)

Dogwood
08-13-2010, 13:55
One of the sections of this thru-hiker's(Colter) trail journal that I think needs to be discussed more often, especially with prospective thru-hikers, is the "Is Thru-hiking For You?" section.

So often, especially at a hiking website like WB, we hear so much about the adventurous side of thru-hiking. It gets much romanticizing by all those who love to hike.

Actually, completing a thru-hike, that is hiking completely from one terminus to the other in one hiking season, doesn't mean someone needs to put in a superhuman effort, BUT it is hard and difficult. It can mean pain, and surely discomfort. Not only is it hard physically but mentally as well. Some prospective thru-hikers just can't maintain a seven day a wk focus for several months.

It's quite easy sitting here at a keyboard romantacizing about completing a long distance hike and it's quite another thing to actually do one.

Mags
08-13-2010, 14:16
One of the sections of this thru-hiker's(Colter) trail journal that I think needs to be discussed more often, especially with prospective thru-hikers, is the "Is Thru-hiking For You?" section.

I think it comes down to:

Do you enjoy spending time outdoors for more than day hikes..i.e. do you enjoy backpacking? You can do van supported day hikes, but that is not the norm.
If you enjoy backpacking, do you hike to camp or camp to hike? If you are the type of person who enjoys hiking in 5 miles or so, sitting by the lake and then exploring the area, then you probably will not enjoy a thru-hike. Even 'only' 12 MPD (for a 6 month thru) entails more hiking and less camping than many people think.

Nothing wrong with day hikes or camping more than hiking (I do both on occassion), but if you don't like hiking for a good chunk of a day AND camping out, then thru-hiking may not be your cup of tea.

Which is cool..because there are many wonderful ways to enjoy the outdoors. :sun