PDA

View Full Version : Chimney Pond Trail

Eckwin
08-12-2010, 10:51
I was just wondering what people's opinions are about this trail's difficulty factor. Do you have to be in great hiking shape, or could a family of 5 or 6 that are in relatively average shape and properly prepared for a hike make it to Chimney Pond from Roaring Brook campgrounds without any difficulties?

I'm reading about scrambling over rocks and such. Am I gonna need climbing gear? Is it that treacherous? Or will a walking stick and being careful of our footing help us be successful?

mudhead
08-12-2010, 11:03
You will be fine. No use of hands needed. My mother could do it tomorrow.:)

Eckwin
08-12-2010, 11:11
LOL ...that's hysterical! Thanks.

In that case, would you know if one of the other trails might be slightly more challenging but more rewarding scenery?

mudhead
08-12-2010, 11:17
If you have not been there, go to Chimney Pond. Take lunch.

Plenty of mountain beyond that point.

Short sweet hike up S. Taylor from RB Campground. It is steep enough.:)

Eckwin
08-12-2010, 11:48
Well thanks for the advice! I'm really phsyced to get up there ...2 more weeks!!

mudhead
08-12-2010, 11:54
If you have not been there, go to Chimney Pond. Take lunch.

Plenty of mountain beyond that point.

Short sweet hike up S. Taylor from RB Campground. It is steep enough.:)

Edit to S. Turner. Hope I don't get cabbage in my green salad tonight.:)

Eckwin
08-12-2010, 13:18
Um ...I don't know what S. Taylor means? LOL

garlic08
08-12-2010, 13:50
I hiked down that trail one-way after my thru hike. It seemed as rocky as any trail in Maine, and maybe a little loose in spots. It was packed with grannies and kids taking their time--not technical at all. Chimney Pond is a nice spot, also a little crowded, but fun. A stick might be a good idea (as long as you don't trip over the stick).

mudhead
08-12-2010, 14:46
S. Turner is a short day hike from RB Campground. Not as involved as Baxter Peak.

Eckwin
08-12-2010, 15:28
Oh so wich do you recommend? Heck I might even be able to do both. We're gonna be in a cabin just outside town for a week.

weary
08-12-2010, 16:45
The scenery from Chimney Pond is better than any I've seen in the east. Nothing else in my experience comes close. Nor is the trail in particularly difficult. I did it a month ago, but decided to stop at the foot of the Saddle Trail headwall, a mile above Chimney Pond -- only to be embarrassed later. The ranger told my companions, "I'm surprised he didn't summit. An 89-year-old summitted in June."

If you spend nights at Chimney Pond, it's the easiest route up Katahdin -- 3.5 miles to Chimney Pond, then a four mile round trip to the summit, before a final easy 3.5 mile walk down to the last parking lot.

The mileages above are approximate. From Chimney Pond there're four trails to the top -- some longer, one shorter, but steeper, and more of a rock scramble.

Weary