PDA

View Full Version : ShelterLeopard

ChinMusic
08-12-2010, 11:59
I haven't read anything in a long time. How's she doing? Last I remember was she was nursing a bad ankle.

Hikes in Rain
08-12-2010, 12:06
She also managed to get Lyme and MRSA. Poor lady, talk about hitting the trifecta! She hasn't updated her journal since June 25. I've been wondering, too.

takethisbread
08-12-2010, 12:13
I emailed her several times, no response. Last I knew, she was off trail

GrubbyJohn
08-12-2010, 12:33
was so sorry to hear she's off the trail.

Buzz_Lightfoot
08-12-2010, 12:42
was so sorry to hear she's off the trail.

Darn, same here.:mad:

Praha4
08-12-2010, 12:47
have not seen anything here or on trailjournals from her since early July. she said she was going to flip flop from Katahdin, but that's been a month and a half with no further word from her. given her physical injuries and illness, plus the record setting heat this summer in the northeast, it would have been very tough to restart from K heading south on the AT.
I've heard from other NOBO thru hikers who have made it to NH and Maine, and they've been telling me the heat/humidity up there has been really tough this summer. I know the heat is really bad this year in the southeast, I've lived here 30 years and I think this is the worst summer i've ever seen down here for July-august heat/humidity.

Jeff
08-12-2010, 14:18
I got an email from her recently. The MRSA/Lymes really hit her hard. I believe the plan is now to complete the trail next season.

Spokes
08-12-2010, 16:50
Well, look on the bright side.... at least she didn't get Giardia.

Doctari
08-12-2010, 18:59
I got an email from her recently. The MRSA/Lymes really hit her hard. I believe the plan is now to complete the trail next season.

And, according to her journal, that ankle had to take A LOT out of her. Plus getting Lyme, MRSA loves a weak / compromised immune system.

Good for her!!! Getting back on the trail AFTER getting better, even if it's next year is better than hiking miserable!

Nean
08-12-2010, 19:34
i DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT msra IS!:eek: Never had a ankle take me off the trail, or had any injury take me off the trail. Never had lyme, never had giardia. Never had a bad day. :o

These things do happen I reckon :-? and I wish SL ATB.:)

HiKen2011
08-12-2010, 19:50
i DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT msra IS!:eek: Never had a ankle take me off the trail, or had any injury take me off the trail. Never had lyme, never had giardia. Never had a bad day. :o

It's a sort of bacterial infection. Can be hard to treat.

leaftye
08-12-2010, 19:50
Getting back on the trail AFTER getting better, even if it's next year is better than hiking miserable!

I bet she doubts that at times. I know I do. It sucks leaving the trail, even when it's clear that it's inevitable. I hope she recovers fully soon enough to prepare and get out there again next year.

mister krabs
08-12-2010, 20:17

it's a staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics, kind of a super-staph. It can give you a bad day for sure. You might want to try it just for a change of pace. :sun

Sierra Echo
08-12-2010, 20:34
it's a staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics, kind of a super-staph. It can give you a bad day for sure. You might want to try it just for a change of pace. :sun

I have a friend who go that in her throat of all places. They ended up having to go in and cut some of the infected tissue out.

gunner76
08-12-2010, 20:36
I bet she comes back next year and finishes the trail :banana

I got sick on the trail years ago and its no fun

ChinMusic
08-12-2010, 21:04
I hope August finds her in better health and that she returns to posting on WB.

Erin
08-12-2010, 22:25
I really enjoyed her confidence and trail journal. Hope to see her back soon.

Hooch
08-12-2010, 22:29
i DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT msra IS!:eek:

Methicillin
Resistant
Staphlococcus
Aureus

MRSA is a particularly nasty, drug resistant form of staph. Staph can be treated with penicillins and cephalosporins (types of antibiotics), however, MRSA is resistant to both. It is often treated orally with Bactrim, doxycycline, clindamycin and, in more sever cases, can be treated with IV antibiotics such as vancomycin, daptomycin and Zyvox.

Desert Reprobate
08-12-2010, 22:54
Nasty stuff any way you put it

Trailbender
09-01-2010, 08:33
Yeah, I wondered where she went. About halfway through, I stopped reading or writing in the shelter journals, not sure why exactly.

walkin' wally
09-02-2010, 22:15
Methicillin
Resistant
Staphlococcus
Aureus

MRSA is a particularly nasty, drug resistant form of staph. Staph can be treated with penicillins and cephalosporins (types of antibiotics), however, MRSA is resistant to both. It is often treated orally with Bactrim, doxycycline, clindamycin and, in more sever cases, can be treated with IV antibiotics such as vancomycin, daptomycin and Zyvox.

Now there is Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus and another drug resistant nasty caused by a spore.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 14:32
There's a thread, for me?????? Aw, I love you guys... Sorry I've been MIA for so long, I've been very busy since the summer.

I haven't read anything in a long time. How's she doing? Last I remember was she was nursing a bad ankle.

I'm much better now, I hope to keep hiking next spring.

I emailed her several times, no response. Last I knew, she was off trail

Digger, I'm sorry!!!! I got very out of trail mode and in a bad mood after I couldn't get back on all the way.

I hope August finds her in better health and that she returns to posting on WB.

We'll see, I have almost finished my WB addiction until I came back on here today!

Yeah, I wondered where she went. About halfway through, I stopped reading or writing in the shelter journals, not sure why exactly.

I completely understand, I kept writing, but the shelter logs get very.. tiring after a while. (GROUNDHOG DAY!!!)

Anyway, I'll be back to WB soon, and I miss being here. And I was planning a February/ March hike in PA, we'll see how that goes.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 14:33
Well, look on the bright side.... at least she didn't get Giardia.

HAve you ever had MRSA??? :eek: Read my last trail journal entry- it explains in pretty graphic detail the procedure in HArpers Ferry Medical Center. (I think it does... I meant to write that)

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 14:34
But I'm good now, and glad to be back!!! :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:b anana:banana

(Well, back soon, when applications are in and all that jazz)

Tinker
01-08-2011, 14:46
Welcome back, Shlep! Glad you're better :). Plan on any hiking or hiker parties?

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2011, 14:48
But I'm good now, and glad to be back!!! :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:b anana:banana

(Well, back soon, when applications are in and all that jazz)
You just gotta keep active and you'll get over it, I know because I got Lyme disease in 2006, was very late in getting it diagnosed. But there are still times to this day when I feel as though it comes back and hits me...bad stuff. I just keep fighting back...I know easier said then done, but that all you can do, other than just give in...

Maybe we should set up a lyme disease support group:D:sun

takethisbread
01-08-2011, 15:22
We missed you and love you, white blaze is not the same w/o you (you ran this joint).

If u want to get out give me a shout, and when you go through new England maybe I'll do a day with ya.

Be well

There's a thread, for me?????? Aw, I love you guys... Sorry I've been MIA for so long, I've been very busy since the summer.

I'm much better now, I hope to keep hiking next spring.

Digger, I'm sorry!!!! I got very out of trail mode and in a bad mood after I couldn't get back on all the way.

We'll see, I have almost finished my WB addiction until I came back on here today!

I completely understand, I kept writing, but the shelter logs get very.. tiring after a while. (GROUNDHOG DAY!!!)

Anyway, I'll be back to WB soon, and I miss being here. And I was planning a February/ March hike in PA, we'll see how that goes.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 21:45
Aww Digger, I missed y'all too. And New England? Most definitely!!! Though this spring I'll be hiking in Greece and Croatia first. Well, backpacking. Okay, cushy life with a pack on my back and MAYBE a little hiking. Then back to the States to really get my heels dirty.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 21:49
Welcome back, Shlep! Glad you're better :). Plan on any hiking or hiker parties?

Of course!

And John, the Lyme was caught early enough- it was really the MRSA that got me. I have never experienced so much pain in my life. (I have to tell part of this, I can't resist). I had the infection on my ankle, and it was so incredibly painful that if a bedsheet brushed against my ankle I saw stars. Then, at the Harpers Ferry Medical Center, the doctor took a SCALPEL and CUT INTO my infection. With no anesthetic. I can not believe I didn't faint. And then said "now this is the painful part". Definitely thought she was joking. And the rest is too graphic. Y'all probably just ate dinner. Provided a very fun, stomach turing story though!!!

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 21:52
ill call her and ask and give her all your best. shes fun. shell be back. count on it. shes hiker thru and thru.okay, just sent her a text. with all our best and told her we want to hear from her. good lookin out .

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2011, 21:56
MATTHEWSKI!?!?! Hey, are you going to come hiking with me in the spring? Just say yes. Good.

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 22:55
yes. as will panzer.

Blissful
01-08-2011, 23:16
Hey girl good to hear from you at last. :)

harryfred
01-08-2011, 23:33
Oh HELL Yeah. Matty you and Panzer on a hike In my state Give me a ring and I'll see if I can do it. I'll give BadAndy a call and if he is not skiing or scrubbin bods off the interstate maybe he will go.

Fog Horn
01-08-2011, 23:39
This thread makes me really happy and I don't even know SL.

I'm glad you recovered. This is the stuff of legends, and you have what it takes! I hope you plan to trail journal this time around, because I'd love to follow it. You're an inspiration.

Panzer1
01-08-2011, 23:46
yea, I'm up for a hike. I'll go now if you want. My pack is ready. I just need to add food and water to my pack.

Panzer

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:50
my pack has been loaded and ready at the foot of my bed since i was 14.ever since i had a dream the world slid into a vast smokeing pit that opened up and swallowed everything around me as i grabbed my pack by the haul loop and suddenly was standing with my pack on the edge of the smokeing pit of destruction with all the forrest animals on the AT. i still fear sleeping without it. and mine has food in it. its truly grab and go.

harryfred
01-09-2011, 00:27
Yeah Duds lets do this thing. Lets figure out where and when. Come on Shlep are you in.

nox
01-09-2011, 00:36
hey shlep, glad you are back and feeling better! Whenever you wanna go for a hike let me know. I'm always ready to go, so is Lindz.

Panzer1
01-09-2011, 01:33
so are we talking about going this month, I hope. For those not going to the PA Ruck in Virginia on Jan 28, this could be an alternative.

Panzer

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:35
dont you have lightswitches to polish panzer? your up late. what say tommorow you come over early.

Panzer1
01-09-2011, 01:53
dont you have lightswitches to polish panzer? your up late. what say tommorow you come over early.

I'm putting left over pipe insulation on any bare copper pipes that I can find. :banana

Panzer

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 08:54
thats it panzer. im haveing a doctor write a note that you are not to be allowed to handel any type of tools and you are banned from all hardware stores and home depo and lowes. im starting a charity for my good friend panzer to send him hiking. donations will be used to help panzer deal with early onset idle.EOI has been idetified in middel age men who own more than 12 saws of any type. cases of hammer based EOI have also been of concern lately . panzer suffers from a severe strain of the dissorder witch causes uncontroled box building and redundant lightswitch installation. please help a fellow hiker indeed. we all want to see the day when panzer can watch tv and let a paint chip peal at the same time.

Trillium
01-09-2011, 10:42
thats it panzer. im haveing a doctor write a note that you are not to be allowed to handel any type of tools and you are banned from all hardware stores and home depo and lowes. im starting a charity for my good friend panzer to send him hiking. donations will be used to help panzer deal with early onset idle.EOI has been idetified in middel age men who own more than 12 saws of any type. cases of hammer based EOI have also been of concern lately . panzer suffers from a severe strain of the dissorder witch causes uncontroled box building and redundant lightswitch installation. please help a fellow hiker indeed. we all want to see the day when panzer can watch tv and let a paint chip peal at the same time.
I enjoyed this post! :D

Jeff
01-09-2011, 12:27
Shelter Leopard,

I still have your favorite Ben and Jerrys flavor waiting....Coffee Heath Bar Crunch !!!!

ShelterLeopard
01-09-2011, 23:22
This thread makes me really happy and I don't even know SL.

I'm glad you recovered. This is the stuff of legends, and you have what it takes! I hope you plan to trail journal this time around, because I'd love to follow it. You're an inspiration.

Man, don't do this to me- I'm going to tear up!!! (Seriously, this made me feel warm and fuzzy. And I'm really not being sarcastic. Which means that my WB addiction has just been lying dormant and is about to pop back up again...)

Yeah Duds lets do this thing. Lets figure out where and when. Come on Shlep are you in.

Of course! When I get back from Idaho, though, so in maybe a month??? I'll just post when I'm planning on a thing (for serious lack of a better term) and invite you all.

so are we talking about going this month, I hope. For those not going to the PA Ruck in Virginia on Jan 28, this could be an alternative.

Panzer

Panzer! I'm hoping to at least do some hiking in the cold weather- I'm starting to get into hiking withdrawal.

Nox!!! Say hi to Linds for me and I want to see you both!!

ShelterLeopard
01-09-2011, 23:23
Shelter Leopard,

I still have your favorite Ben and Jerrys flavor waiting....Coffee Heath Bar Crunch !!!!

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

YES!

Mongoose2
01-09-2011, 23:32
Good to see a post from you! Sam says hello, and thanks again for the postcard!

harryfred
01-10-2011, 00:54
Serious I have two vac days left till Apr. and one I was going to use for the Winter Warmer. I also have sick days I could use I'd love the opportunity to hike again with Panzer and to hike with Matty. Shlep I have hike with several that have hiked with you and you sound like a cool cat. we could do a four day weekend. March or April If I can talk BadAndy into it he needs to get MD off his list and that is a great four day hike my other suggestion is Swatara Gap to Duncannon. good four days and you can't beat a Finnish at the Doyle best damn cheeseburger in PA and PA's finest beer on tap.

Buzz_Lightfoot
01-10-2011, 13:56
Hey Shlep, WB to WB! Glad to hear you are better. I sure was sorry to hear of your problems.

Tae care from that "other" Milford,

BL

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 14:26
Awww didn't mean to make you tear up, sorry :)

When my family asks me why I want to do the trail, I tell them something like: There are many things you can do in life that bring you to the brink of what you think you are capable of, and in that moment, you have to decide if you are going to give up, or if you are going to dig deep and have what it takes. The AT gives you over two thousand miles of those moments.

You got injured, and then sick with two different horrible things. Most people that I know would have given up, just decided hiking wasn't for them (actually most people that I know wouldn't have even set foot on the trail in the first place, lol), but you didn't. You chose to have what it takes. Same with the other poster who wanted to thru this year but got cancer. Its inspirational. I'm sure you'll face many more challenges on your next attempt, but I for one, will be rooting for you :)

4shot
01-10-2011, 15:16
There are many things you can do in life that bring you to the brink of what you think you are capable of, and in that moment, you have to decide if you are going to give up, or if you are going to dig deep and have what it takes. The AT gives you over two thousand miles of those moments.

You got injured, and then sick with two different horrible things. Its inspirational. I'm sure you'll face many more challenges on your next attempt, but I for one, will be rooting for you :)

there IS an element of luck to completing a thru-hike. I know some people don't believe in luck but there ARE capable hikers (such as Shelter leopard) and some that I hiked with who were FORCED off the trail by circumstances beyond their control. As for me, there were one or two falls I took that just as easily could have resulted in serious (hike ending) injury. I can only attribute that to luck.

To Shelter Leopard or anyone for that matter who get out and try it again, after doing so many miles in the first attempt, is indeed inspirational as you state. I'm not sure that I would be that determined.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 22:09
when my son was 2 i started a thru hike attempt . as i got out of the cab at the sign for the entrance to amacalola was a hiker pitched and resting. i walked over and asked him what was up. he had a broken leg. he said he got 40 miles out and broke it and went to the doctor and thaught since in 6 weeks he would be fine, he need not quit and go home. he lived far far away and was poor. in the 4 weeks he had stayed around the park he had gotten day work and with only two weeks left till the cast came off, he was in high spirits and rearin to go. i never thaught that was the level of dedication to the sport. it is,and its great. shlep, we love you cause your not a quitter. and lots of other great reasons.

Toolshed
01-10-2011, 23:26
Of course!

And John, the Lyme was caught early enough- it was really the MRSA that got me. I have never experienced so much pain in my life. (I have to tell part of this, I can't resist). I had the infection on my ankle, and it was so incredibly painful that if a bedsheet brushed against my ankle I saw stars. Then, at the Harpers Ferry Medical Center, the doctor took a SCALPEL and CUT INTO my infection. With no anesthetic. I can not believe I didn't faint. And then said "now this is the painful part". Definitely thought she was joking. And the rest is too graphic. Y'all probably just ate dinner. Provided a very fun, stomach turing story though!!!
Hope you are doing better Shlep. I think I was gonnna hike with you guys in DWG last year (well over a year ago now) but I ended up hospitalized for 2 weeks in Nov-Dec 2009 with Bactremia/Endocarditis - Destroyed the heart tissue surrounding my Aortic Valve. I since had a new valve put in in september and am ready to rock and roll. Hoping to crash the hiking party soon. Maybe trade some IV or Pic-Line war stories.:D

ShelterLeopard
04-01-2011, 14:34
Wow Toolshed! Sounds like NOT fun. So are you up for some hiking now?