PDA

View Full Version : Any spots just outside Baxter?

Eckwin
08-12-2010, 15:33
So ...I can't bring my dogs with me into Baxter, but what about all the lakes, ponds and rivers I see in the forests that the Golden road runs through. Anyone know of any good spots out there a guy can take his family and a couple of dogs swimming?

I know when I was a kid one summer we drove along the Golden road and just pulled over and went swimming in a shallow spot in a river. I haven't been out that way in close to 25 years, though. I'm wondering if there are any type of trespassing laws or anything that I need to be aware of.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the tips!

peakbagger
08-12-2010, 16:36
No laws against trespassing but at some point you need to pay an entry fee to enter the North Maine Woods lands. There is a great place for swimming at the visitors center about a 1/2 mile before the Togue Pond gate. I think its legal for dogs as its outside the park gate.

walkin' wally
08-12-2010, 19:45
So ...I can't bring my dogs with me into Baxter, but what about all the lakes, ponds and rivers I see in the forests that the Golden road runs through. Anyone know of any good spots out there a guy can take his family and a couple of dogs swimming?

I know when I was a kid one summer we drove along the Golden road and just pulled over and went swimming in a shallow spot in a river. I haven't been out that way in close to 25 years, though. I'm wondering if there are any type of trespassing laws or anything that I need to be aware of.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the tips!

How about trying Lobster Lake? Its west of Caribou checkpoint off the Golden Road.. A deep, cold water northern lake with an extremely an long sand beach, a mountain to climb with a beautiful view, nice secluded campsites near the shore in the so called "little claw" area or also along the north shore of Ogden Point.. You would need a kayak or a canoe with or without motor to go up the un-dammed Lobster Stream to get to the lake.

Sorry, I don't know about the dog policy there. Try getting in touch with North Maine Woods

More info if you are interested.

Eckwin
08-13-2010, 08:37
Hey thanks for the tips guys!! I'll post back after my vacation and let you know how I made out!!

Eckwin
08-18-2010, 15:16
Hey so I was looking up Lobster Lake on the map ...that looks like it might take a couple of hours to drive to from where we're staying just outside of Millinocket. Anybody familiar with all those "Debsconeag" lakes? Is that wilderness out there or do people have houses/cabins and stuff out there? We're looking for something remote that we can just let our dogs run up and down the beach while we splash around. If there's like cabins and stuff ...then we have to constantly call them back to us (not that we will just ignore and let them run wild anyway ...you get the idea, though).

walkin' wally
08-18-2010, 20:32
Hey so I was looking up Lobster Lake on the map ...that looks like it might take a couple of hours to drive to from where we're staying just outside of Millinocket. Anybody familiar with all those "Debsconeag" lakes? Is that wilderness out there or do people have houses/cabins and stuff out there? We're looking for something remote that we can just let our dogs run up and down the beach while we splash around. If there's like cabins and stuff ...then we have to constantly call them back to us (not that we will just ignore and let them run wild anyway ...you get the idea, though).

Hi again

I have spent a lot of time in the Debsconeag/Nahmakanta area. I don't think you are going to find many beaches in the Debsconeag section. These eight lakes or ponds were scraped out from glaciers and are quite deep. For instance Fourth Debsconeag is about 170 surface acres and 140 feet deep. Third Debsconeag is like that too. The upper ponds are smaller and fairly shallow. Having said that the hiking in the area is great. There is a new trail system in this area that sees very little use. It is shaped like a figure eight with access near Fourth Debconeag or near the upper end of Nahmakanta Lake next to the AT. This area is worth hiking IMHO. Great views and remote ponds. Maine department Of Conservation website

There is a set of sporting camps on Fourth Debsconeag Lake called Pleasant Point Camps. One of the camps has walls on the inside made of Birch bark.

One other note on the Debsconeags. There is a place on the Penobscot River off the Golden Road that the locals call Omaha Beach. As the crow flies it is not very far from the outlet of First Debsconeag Lake or Debsconeag Deadwater. Ask around in Millinocket for directions if this place has not fallen into private hands. I don't think it has. It is not that far from Baxter.

Nahmankanta Lake, just west of the Debsconeags, has a nice beach area along the south end near the AT. There is also a beach area and spring along the west shore of the lake as the AT heads towards Wadleigh Stream ( or no stream ) Lean To.

You will have to drive south from Millinocket to get to the logging road that will take you to the Debsconeag area so plan to spend some time doing that as you will have to pass through Henderson Gate. Ask for a map of the area there.

dthomasme
08-20-2010, 09:13
Pleasant Point Camps on 4th Debsconeag Lake purchased by the Chewonki Foundation 3 years ago - now run as Debsconeag Wilderness Camps - http://www.chewonki.org/vacations/default.asp - check 'em out!

dthomasme
08-20-2010, 09:20
And while you're at it - check out the Big Eddy Campground - same web-site - also just outside of Baxter! Dogs allowed! http://www.chewonki.org/vacations/default.asp

mudhead
08-20-2010, 11:09
And while you're at it - check out the Big Eddy Campground - same web-site - also just outside of Baxter! Dogs allowed! http://www.chewonki.org/vacations/default.asp

Years ago that was a real nice spot.

walkin' wally
08-20-2010, 12:05
Pleasant Point Camps on 4th Debsconeag Lake purchased by the Chewonki Foundation 3 years ago - now run as Debsconeag Wilderness Camps - http://www.chewonki.org/vacations/default.asp - check 'em out!

Wow. Those camps sure have changed since the last time I was there. Looks like lots of money has been spent. Very nice. The slide show for the Debsconeag camps is worth watching. It is a beautiful area.

Thanks for the update.