PDA

View Full Version : Howdy and Upcoming Trip

tenninstr
08-12-2010, 16:28
Hi, I'm new to the board and I'm glad I came across it. Looks like a wealth of info. I am a pretty experienced backpacker/hiker and I'm plannning to section hike the Benton MacKaye. I've got about 4 days in October that I am going to start on and I'm taking a couple friends that have some experience.

How does this sound for an itinerary?

Day 1: Springer Mt. - Bryson Gap MM11.6
Day 2: Bryson Gap - Payne Gap (lunch at Martin's Depot) MM25.6
Day 3: Payne Gap - Campsite MM 40.1
Day 4: Campsite Appalachian Hwy US77 MM48.5

I would like to park near the beginning and shuttle back to the car.

Any info or input would be appreciated. Thanks

mountain squid
08-12-2010, 16:57
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB.

Unless you are already in top physical shape and accustomed to walking 15 mpd, it seems to me to be too many miles per day.

If you are using a local shuttler I would suggest doing the shuttle first and walking back to your vehicle. That way you don't have to be concerned about making it to the trailhead by a specified time (especially if planning 18mi on that last day).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

tenninstr
08-12-2010, 17:18
Thanks for the welcome and the input. I am a regular hiker/backpacker/excercise juknie and 15 miles won't be a problem. However, I'll have to see what my companions think about it. You're right, it may be a tad ambitious in their opinion. The last day is only 8+ miles with the current itinerary but I like the idea of shuttling first. Thanks again.

Bati
08-12-2010, 18:04
That sounds fine. It's almost exactly what I did when I started (I stayed a bit further up on the 3rd night and at Sisson the 4th night). You really have limited choices the first 2 nights due to water supplies.

Enjoy!

SGT Rock
08-12-2010, 22:45
Contact Cool Breeze for a shuttle in that area. He knows the trail crossings and works at Mountain Crossings over on the AT.

tenninstr
08-13-2010, 08:26
Thanks everyone.

tenninstr
08-13-2010, 08:30
By the way SGT Rock. I bought your book at Little River Trading yesterday. Awesome!

SGT Rock
08-13-2010, 10:19
Thanks man. I hope you find it useful.

I noticed one of your places you plan to camp is Payne Gap, I've heard of people having bad trouble finding water there at times.

And feel free to ask any questions you may need answered before your hike over here. There are a few of us here that have substantial BMT experience.

royalusa
08-16-2010, 21:00
Be sure to get Sgt Rock's Guide book (BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide (http://bmtguide.com)) - we used it for our BMT-AT loop hike a few months ago and it was great.

Not sure if our journal will provide you any additional info you are looking for, but here is the link: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10946

Have fun!

tenninstr
08-17-2010, 16:44
Thanks again everyone. Extremely helpful info. Great journal "royalusa", very useful info. I agree on Sgt. Rock's guide, I bought it about a week ago. :-) Gonna be my go to source pre-hike and on the trail. I'm pumped, already palnning my 7-10 day hike for the Spring after this one.

tenninstr
10-08-2010, 14:59
Leaving in the morning for my 4-day trip. I'll post some photos and a report when I get back. Woohoo!

Farr Away
10-08-2010, 15:42
Have fun! Sounds like the weather will be very nice.

-FA

max patch
10-08-2010, 16:12
If I had an hour and a half of daylight left when I got to Payne Gap I'd continue on to the Ocoee if everyone in the group agreed.

SGT Rock
10-10-2010, 12:54
You must be thinking of somewhere else Max, the Ocoee is about 62 miles from Payne Gap.

10-K
10-10-2010, 18:19
Not trying to hijack the tread but I picked up a NC/TN BMT guide at REI Friday.

I take it there's not anything for the GA section?

SGT Rock
10-10-2010, 18:24
You could get the Tim Homan book: http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Benton-Mackaye-Trail-Tennessees/dp/1561453110

Most people I know think it is a bit much for a trail guide covering ~90 miles: 272 pages.

The BMTA is working the section guide in the same format as the TN/NC guide. I talked to one of the editors last week about it and he has finished his part, just waiting on the other editor to finish her part so it can go to print. I expect the GA guide will be out sometime next year. After that they will start on the Smokies, but the "Brown Book" covers all the trails that make up the BMT through there in good detail for now.

10-K
10-10-2010, 21:59
You could get the Tim Homan book: http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Benton-Mackaye-Trail-Tennessees/dp/1561453110

Most people I know think it is a bit much for a trail guide covering ~90 miles: 272 pages.

The BMTA is working the section guide in the same format as the TN/NC guide. I talked to one of the editors last week about it and he has finished his part, just waiting on the other editor to finish her part so it can go to print. I expect the GA guide will be out sometime next year. After that they will start on the Smokies, but the "Brown Book" covers all the trails that make up the BMT through there in good detail for now.

Thanks - the BMT is going to be my next serious hike and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. I've got your book, the Nat Geo maps and the NC/TN guide. That's probably enough don't you think?

SGT Rock
10-11-2010, 18:49
That should do it. Anything else you need to know will probably only be gained by experience. If your going to be at the Gathering I'll be giving a presentation about hiking the BMT on Sunday.

tenninstr
10-14-2010, 21:03
Had a great trip, about 37 miles. The weather was as perfect as it can get. My buddy, who had never backpacked did very well. There is still no water on Payne Gap as far as I can tell. I will write a detailed trip report later but here are a few pics.

tenninstr
10-14-2010, 21:05
The fire in the pic is no where near as big at it looks. 4-second exposure on the camera makes it look that way.

SGT Rock
10-14-2010, 22:19
Looks like your poles are on fire.