PDA

View Full Version : Section hike clothes

cshir003
11-19-2004, 11:31
I'm planning about a 6 week section hike this summer starting somewhere around 200 miles south of harpers ferry and going northbound. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy some performance type clothes or not, and if I'm going to what kind. So tell me what ya pack! What sorts of clothes, brands, cuts, and quantities do you keep in your pack? thanks a mill!

SGT Rock
11-19-2004, 11:34
If you are summer hiking - then get you a wicking t-shirt and a pair of nylon shorts. Wal-Mart now carries both of these. You might also want a long sleeve shirt for nights in case it gets cold. Wal-Mart SA shorts and such are cheap and just as good as any high priced high end stuff, pluss you won't mind it when the trail takes it's toll on your stuff.

TDale
11-19-2004, 11:55
Of course the Rock's right. Catch wicking T's and undies on sale at Campmor, REI, or Sierra Trading Post. You need these for comfort and pain control. Outer nylon shirts and shorts are best when cheapest. You will destroy them. For long sleeves I take the same nylon shell I always carry for wind and rain.

Alligator
11-19-2004, 12:05
Swim trunks (nylon) with the liner cut out work well in the summer. Like Rock says, wicking t-shirt. I carry a set of light weight microfleece pants and long sleeve top. Wal-mart has a similar set now in the hunting section, but I don't how much they weigh. Look by the thermals if you are interested. My set is from MEC, their expedition weight thermals. The work just fine though as outerwear. Plus a PL1 vest, lightweight hat, and gloves. I would say that you should be prepared for the possibility of cold and rainy weather.

In summer, I will keep one extra t-shirt in my pack, plus the warm clothes above. Extra socks. I also have a sun hat (I burn easy), but it really only comes out when there are breaks in the vegetation cover or I am sitting out in the open.

I am more concerned about material and weight rather than brand. And of course being safe.

The Solemates
11-19-2004, 12:17
Summer wear:

1. Wicking Tee. Campmor often sells these for like $5-10.

2. Shorts with built-in liner (so I dont have to worry about underwear). By a cheap, lightweight bathing suit at Walmart for $10.

3. Rainjacket (for cool nights and in case of storm). I like the Marmot Precip, which retails for $100, but you can often find it for more like $75 if you look hard enough.

4. Bandana (for wiping sweat). pack of 3 for $1 at Walmart.

5. Two pairs of socks (cause they get funky fast). I would just go with nylon liners for summer hiking, found lots of places for lots of different prices.

Thats really all you need in terms of clothing in the summer in the VA/WV area. You can probably just find clothes around the house for summer hiking and you wont even have to buy anything.

Blue Jay
11-19-2004, 12:34
I'm surprised you responded to this Solemates. We've gone over this topic hundreds of times. What makes this different than the other one (Bearbagging #63) you're complaining about?

Alligator
11-19-2004, 12:49
Here's a link for average temperatures along the AT from the ATC.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/temp.html

My suggestion is to carry some warm clothes should the temperature drop down to the low to mid-50's, unless you like sitting around in your bag.

The Solemates
11-19-2004, 13:52
I'm surprised you responded to this Solemates. We've gone over this topic hundreds of times. What makes this different than the other one (Bearbagging #63) you're complaining about?

:rolleyes: :)

SGT Rock
11-19-2004, 15:45
I was just up at Wal-Mart. They had the SA knockoffs of Underarmor on clearance. Got one in a nice WhiteBlaze Green.

prozac
11-19-2004, 19:57
The only thing I would add to that would to bring an extra shirt and shorts for town. You will be hitting alot of towns in that stretch and its always nice to have something clean for wearing around town.

cshir003
11-22-2004, 11:06
Thanks, you guys are awesome. there's always room for one of yall in camp. I'll post my concrete plans once I get everything figured out so anybody that wants to can join us for however long. thanks again, you're all of great help