PDA

View Full Version : Pawling train station or train in CT

Raul Perez
08-13-2010, 07:51
Looking to finish off most of the NY section from bear mountain inn going NOBO. Where is the pawling train station in relation to the AT trail? Also, if I decide to go to the CT border is there a possible way to get to a train to get me back to LI NY

Ender
08-13-2010, 08:51
Well, if you want to go into Pawling, at NY County Road 20 (West Dover Road), make a right. You can't miss it because there's a giant oak tree on the other side of the road. It's @ 3 miles into town.

If you arrive at the finish on a weekend, hike 2+ more miles to NY 22, where there's a train station directly on the trail. It only runs on weekends though. It's the Appalachian Trail stop on the Metro North line running into Grand Central in NYC.

If you hike to the CT border, the easiest thing to do would probably be to just backtrack to the AT train stop (maybe 7 miles?) and get the train there. Or go back into Pawling if it's not a weekend.

Old Grouse
08-13-2010, 11:41
I agree with Ender. Or if you don't want to backtrack, you could road walk from Hoyt Road out to Rte 55 and on from there to Wingdale on Rte 22. Wingdale stn is the next one after the AT stop and has 7 day service.

Raul Perez
08-13-2010, 18:49
Great thanks for the information!

LIhikers
08-13-2010, 23:16
If you can get a ride to the CT border you can hike back to the Bear Mountain Inn.
From there you can catch a bus into NYC and the LIRR home. For the bus details check http://www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car