PDA

View Full Version : How to get from White River Junction to Hanover, NH after the bus stops?

botanista
08-13-2010, 15:10
I'm taking the train into WRJ on next Thurs to get back on the trail, and I'm wondering how people get to Hanover after the bus stops running at 5 pm, since I'm not arriving until 6:40.

Sure, I can walk the 4.5 miles, but then I get in even later and I'm not yet sure where to stay on a limited budget. I did check the shuttle list, and there are a few options there. I've emailed June Bowlin, but haven't heard back yet. Okay, I'm asking for a ride and a place to stay. There. Call me a mooch, nyah.

Jack Tarlin
08-13-2010, 17:27
When other transportation from White River Junction has stopped, try Big Yellow Taxi at (603) 643-8294

Friendly, reliable and always available.

If you don't want to stay at a motel (the Sunset is probably your best option), hikers have still been staying at the "Soccer field campsite" just north of downtown Hanover.

*To get there, follow the Trail North out of town on Lebanon St.
*Just past the Hanover Co-Op supermarket, the Trail turns sharp left at the
gas station and goes along the edge of a soccer field. It then enters the
woods.
*Immediately after the Trail enters the woods, you will see some campsites
off to the left where you can spend the night.

I left Hanover in early March and was told at the time that this location would be closed to overnight camping.

I was there today, and hikers have been staying there, unbothered, every night. There is nothing there (signage, etc.) to indicate that camping is discouraged or prohibited. Town officials and police officers have recently told me that as far as they know, it's OK (for now) to camp there. Just don't stay on the soccer field itself, as this will indeed get you a visit from town or college officials.

Hope this helps.

RedneckRye
08-14-2010, 01:48
Stand on the side of the road facing traffic and stick your right arm out with your thumb pointing up and the other 4 fingers curled in.
Someone will stop and give you a ride. It may take a while, but you will get to town.
This used to be common not too long ago (before the time of ubiquitous cell phone coverage).
I don't think I arranged a shuttle ever on any of my long AT hikes or paid for a taxi.
The icon above shows how.

botanista
08-14-2010, 20:44
Jack, thanks, that's very useful.

Perhaps other things have changed since the advent of cell phones on the AT. I've had spotty luck hitching in the 1300 miles I've done so far this summer. Some towns, people compete to give you a ride. Other places, it's the steely forward stare, like I'm some petty criminal or panhandler they wish would just dissappear. Perhaps the wild hair and pointy trekking poles are just too much. Perhaps people are just to busy to stop for a stranger. That's why I appealed here.