PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Money. what would you do?

Doc Mike
08-13-2010, 15:34
Ok for starters I'm not in this category, but assuming you had an unlimited amount of money to outfit yourself for a thru-hike. What equipment would you buy, to include everything for the hike so big four plus clothes etc.

For example would you get the best gear and a sherpa to carry it, or a llama, or goat? Sorry i thought the goat part was funny until I read more about pack goats.

Thanks
Doc Mike

kayak karl
08-13-2010, 15:49
Ok for starters I'm not in this category, but assuming you had an unlimited amount of money to outfit yourself for a thru-hike. What equipment would you buy, to include everything for the hike so big four plus clothes etc.

For example would you get the best gear and a sherpa to carry it, or a llama, or goat? Sorry i thought the goat part was funny until I read more about pack goats.

Thanks
Doc Mike
if i had unlimited money the AT is the last hike i'd go on.

Doc Mike
08-13-2010, 19:33
What would be the first and why since this would be the last out of the 100's world wide?

doc mike

Roughin' It
08-13-2010, 20:01
Zpacks Hexamid solo tent w/screen
therm-a-rest NeoAir
A nice FeatheredFriends or WM sleeping bag
ULA CDT pack

I guess those are all the things I want that cost more money than I have right now.

Roughin' It
08-13-2010, 20:02
and yeah I would spend the money to go hike all over the world after the PCT and CDT

wnderer
08-13-2010, 20:09
Bikini Babe Sherpas

Toolshed
08-13-2010, 20:26
i'd invest it.

ChinMusic
08-13-2010, 20:35
Buy a lot of rounds?

Manwich
08-13-2010, 20:44
I'd have Warbonnet make me a WBBB / Tarp in CubenFiber, Ultralight ZPack and cubenfiber parka of sorts

tlap
08-13-2010, 20:50
I wouldn't mind a sherpa...who was also a licensed massage therapist...and a gourmet cook.

I would also have a personal assistant to meet me at my town/resupply stops, with clean laundry and wholesome food already taken care of. Then I could spend my zero day exploring the town and having fun. I obviously couldn't keep this assistant busy full time, so s/he could do trail magic for a lot of people along the way.

Luddite
08-13-2010, 21:16
Yeah get yourself a sherpa and have him carry you a wall tent and a cot. Forget that ultralight nonsense.

Sierra Echo
08-13-2010, 21:26
I would hire my exhusband to be my pack mule and then I would proceed to swat at him with a switch the entire way!

GalHikingTheGap
08-13-2010, 21:28
Just read that some of the Ivy League guys who did the early work on exploring and summitting K2 had porters carry brass bed frames, and sherpas would "beg for the honor" of laying out sir's toiletries, removing his shoes...!

Baby D

Luddite
08-13-2010, 21:48
I think I read something about that in that book The Adventurer's Handbook.

Bear Cables
08-14-2010, 01:10
Unlimited funds? Probably the gear I carry now but replace my sil nylon tarp with a cuben fiber one. Everything else is great. Oh ... but I'd probably fly out west more for a second hike of the year.

leaftye
08-14-2010, 01:18
First, I'd hire a blimp to provide shade and rain protection.

Next would be eye surgery because it sucks missing wildlife and having to put on eyeglasses and wait for them to defog to confirm that there is indeed a mountain lion 10 yards away.

My shelter would probably be a Big Sky Mirage 2P breathable cuben tent with carbon poles...unless I can build an inflatable cuben fiber version of my Black Diamond Lighthouse tent.

Pack would be a Titanium Goat external frame pack or something similar with cuben fiber bags.

I'd see if Kookabay or EnLIGHTened Equipment would build me a cuben down air mattress and a cuben fiber bivy.

I'd keep my cuben fiber down quilt, GG LT4 trekking poles and Bearikade Expedition.

For clothing, I'd make a shirt like my Ecomesh, except with wool fabric. I'd add Ecomesh pants. I'd love wool underwear, but I prefer a 9" inseam in my boxer briefs and UnderArmour is the only company that currently makes this. I have plenty of Fox River liner socks and over half a dozen Inov-8 shoes,. I'm considering Inov-8 Evoskin sandals for camp shoes and water crossings. Suluk46 titanium crampons might replace my Kahtoola crampons. I'd keep my Fugu down jacket and add a breathable cuben rain jacket.

I might even do a few more custom things if I can find people to make them, for example, a breathable cuben fiber down jacket.

nufsaid
08-14-2010, 07:27
" I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man."

Lawrence from Office Space

Danielsen
08-14-2010, 08:56
Well, first I'd buy a nice low-maintenance rental property and hire an accountant. Then find some nice responsible renters, and shazam, long-term income source that I don't have to personally attend to.

Next would be corrective eye surgery. Can't wait to get rid of these glasses.

Gear would probably be something like a ULA CDT, cuben lightheart solo (if I can get her to make me another!) to swap out with a Hennessy Adventure Racer hammock, a good down quilt, and I guess I'd try a nice inflatable pad. I'm a big fan of being able to cut a cheap blue foamy into whatever shape I want, so who knows. Clothing would probably involve some montbell; I've been lusting over their down jackets for a while. I suppose I could have my pick of the market as far as rain gear, as well. My feet would be treated to the 5.10 Savant for less rugged conditions and the 5.10 Exum Guide when I need something with mid ankles and a durable leather upper.

Next, of course, are plane tickets. I really need to hit the Annapurna circuit before it gets paved. And then there are the long foot routes in Europe, the inca trails in peru, and Mount Roraima in Venezuela, as well as the Parque Nacional los Nevados in Colombia which I have vowed to return to. But obviously I've got to get some of our fine north american hikes underway sometime, so here's my plan: get on the North Country Trail near my hometown of Fredonia (just a little north), take it northeast through the Adirondacks to its terminus. Connect with Vermont's green trail, take it to where it meets the AT and head south along the AT. Where the AT meets the ADT, hang a left and head west. When it meets up with the NCT in Ohio, take the NCT up into North Dakota and then roadwalk the Lewis and Clark trail to the trailhead of the Pacific Northwest trail, and take that over to the PCT. Head south again, until you come to the other end of the ADT, and hang a right to head east. Follow it to Ohio once again where you meet up with the NCT again and take it back up to where you started in southwestern NY state.

Get it? It's a giant X that crosses in Ohio. It also bags a thru of the NCT, PNT, and ADT while logging some miles on the PCT and AT. You could probably shorten it by using the CDT as the connector instead of PCT, but whatever.

By the way, I really don't like Ohio.

earlyriser26
08-14-2010, 09:18
The funny thing is I have the money to do all these things and have thought about doing any of them.

Trillium
08-14-2010, 10:55
I wouldn't mind a sherpa...who was also a licensed massage therapist...and a gourmet cook.

I would also have a personal assistant to meet me at my town/resupply stops, with clean laundry and wholesome food already taken care of. Then I could spend my zero day exploring the town and having fun. I obviously couldn't keep this assistant busy full time, so s/he could do trail magic for a lot of people along the way.
I like the way you think! :D

DapperD
08-14-2010, 11:20
" I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man."

Problem with this is one is always going to wind up being jealous, you know, one gets to carry more of your gear than the other:D:welcome

flemdawg1
08-14-2010, 11:49
Nunatek Ghost Quilt
Z-packs Blast 26 pack
Z-packs Hexamid Solo Tent in Cuben
Thermarest Neo Air Short
Gossamer Gear Lighttrek poles
TiGoat F Keg

And I would probably choose the PCT instead of the AT.

Doc Mike
08-14-2010, 13:25
I like the sherpa/massage therapist idea. I like it so much in fact that i will be excepting applications to my personal sherpa/massage therapist. Since training maybe required on your part prior to a long trip, I willing to sacrafice my weekends to help you. You will need qualifications in the various forms of massage deep tissue hot rocks etc.

Please state any other useful qualities on your resume such as photographic skills, gourmet trail cooking experience, or other useful skills.

Doc Mike

couscous
08-14-2010, 15:00
Another definition of sherpa could be support vehicle driver. With unlimited money you could hire someone to drive a fully equipped RV and meet you at road crossings at the end of the day. No need to carry the big-4 when you could slackpack every day. Step inside in the RV, take a shower, change into fresh clothes, fix whatever you want for supper, do some laundry and fall asleep listening to the sound of rain on the roof. Have your sherpa go pick up whatever you need while you are hiking. Sounds like the way Richie Rich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Rich_%28comics%29) would thru-hike.

HeartFire
08-14-2010, 16:43
Well,
Gear would probably be something like a ULA CDT, cuben lightheart solo (if I can get her to make me another!) to swap out with a Hennessy Adventure Racer hammock,

I leave Wednesday for the JMT. Check with me when I get back towards the end of September. I'll be using my LightHeart Solo Cuben fiber tent (all 14 oz of it!) so we'll see how it holds up. I'm using a 2 ml plastic drop cloth for a ground sheet. (2 oz)
Judy/LightHeart Gear

kayak karl
08-14-2010, 16:55
with unlimited funds i wouldn't be posting on WB with you people:D

ChinMusic
08-14-2010, 16:55
Another definition of sherpa could be support vehicle driver. With unlimited money you could hire someone to drive a fully equipped RV and meet you at road crossings at the end of the day. No need to carry the big-4 when you could slackpack every day. Step inside in the RV, take a shower, change into fresh clothes, fix whatever you want for supper, do some laundry and fall asleep listening to the sound of rain on the roof. Have your sherpa go pick up whatever you need while you are hiking. Sounds like the way Richie Rich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Rich_%28comics%29) would thru-hike.
Actually my wife in on board with the idea of something akin to this. She would "shadow" me up the AT, exploring/shopping/etc the country along the way. I would guess that once every 7-10 days I would be sleeping in the RV when we move it north. I don't think I would want to do that too often or it would take away from the thru "feel". If there is some convenient road crossing for lunch somewhere, so much better. I don't think I would be slacking more than the average thru.....who knows.

The RV would be loaded with resupplies (food, gear, extra shoes, etc.). If I get the RV I'm thinking of there will be room to take care of some buddies too.

TheChop
08-14-2010, 17:56
Two chicks at one time.

Graywolf
08-14-2010, 18:04
If I had unlimited funds, I wouldn't have the time to be here on the computer. I'd be hiking..

kayak karl
08-14-2010, 18:04
Two chicks at one time.
that doesn't take UNLIMITED funds $250 in AC.

vinovampire
08-16-2010, 11:57
Two chicks at one time.

that doesn't take UNLIMITED funds $250 in AC.

HA! Around here it only seems to take about three rounds of mircobrews right before the bars close.... :jump

Personally, if I had unlimited funds I'd buy a bunch of Hyperlight Mountain Gear (http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com). I think the ECHO II Shelter System would be great for a PCT thru hike with a GF. Their Windrider pack looks pretty nice too. Also, I should have bought a Jacks R Better quilt by now, but I don't think I'll need to have limitless wealth before I finally get one of their pieces.

TD55
08-16-2010, 18:48

Thanks
Doc Mike

Only you can decide what the best gear is for you. If you have unlimited funds you can pick gear without regard of cost. If it is not satisfactory you can replace it. You may not know what you like or what is right for you until you are on the trail.
Having enough funds to stay at nice motels with sauna, hot tub and pool is nice. Same for re-supply, shuttles and taxi.
Thing to remember is that when you are on the trail hiking it don't matter how much cash is in your pocket or available on your credit or debit card.
Your money will be spent on lodgeing and meals and transportation. Being able to afford side trips is nice. Ashville, Lurray, NYC, Boston, Bluegrass Fest., etc.

Bucherm
08-17-2010, 05:36
Unlimited Money. what would you do?

Two...ah-ah-ah! I came periliously close to making an Office Space joke.

Marta
08-17-2010, 07:29

Or Karl Meltzer.:D

IceAge
08-17-2010, 10:49
Hell, I'd just hire someone to do the hiking for me while I napped. :D

ChinMusic
08-17-2010, 11:04
Hell, I'd just hire someone to do the hiking for me while I napped. :D
I think that is called reading Trail Journals.......:D

Comet Omega
08-17-2010, 18:23
I'd quit my job today, start with the gear I have, replace along the way or at Trail Days with the latest and greatest as necessary, buy food and beer for all other hikers at the places along the way, donate resources to those groups who work the trail! The food and beer may require a WHOLE lotta money!

One Half
08-17-2010, 19:26
I would hire my exhusband to be my pack mule and then I would proceed to swat at him with a switch the entire way!

:D I like this sentiment even though I am happily married!

Oklahoma
08-17-2010, 20:43
Kilimanjaro then K2

SKessler
08-17-2010, 23:51
Convince my dad to do some of the trail with me...

or pay for one of my broke college buddies to join.

Just got a job teaching school and I'm already looking at saving money so in a few years I can do a masters degree and a thru hike!

One Half
08-18-2010, 04:45
Next would be corrective eye surgery. Can't wait to get rid of these glasses.

Did this about 12 years ago. Best thing ever!

earlyriser26
08-18-2010, 08:00
I guess the one thing I would do is spend about 5X what the average thru hiker spends on lodging and food, but I do that already.

Bare Bear
08-18-2010, 11:23
I alreay have everything important; I am not wealthy but rich beyond immagination.

Gray Blazer
08-18-2010, 11:29
immagination.

Did they not teech you to spel at CHS?

In my imagination, I'm very rich, also.

Doctari
08-18-2010, 14:12
The only gear I actually need is a new Under Quilt. After that, I would do the AT in both directions, then, in no order: the PCT, CDT, Long trail, West highland way (Scotland), Speyside way (Scotland), Hadrians wall (Yep, Scotland), The south island trail (New Zealand's South island), & maybe the Florida trail. After that, I'll find somewhere to hike I'm sure. Always wanted to spend a month or so in Alaska, then I'll go to Canada. Maybe canoe the Ohio river to New Orleans & a walkabout in Australia sounds fun.

Dogwood
08-18-2010, 21:54
I already spend so much money on gear that my girlfriend says I act like I have unlimited money for hiking!

I say it's all about prioritizing sweetie. Then, she points to the absence of a diamond ring on her finger!

I feel like saying I can always get another girlfriend, but I can never relive this yr so I must go and hike now. Oh, sweetie has my Neo Air and WM sleeping bag arrived yet?

mdbuckman
08-23-2010, 17:03
Lots of cuben fiber, titanium, and one of those cool solar rechargers for my ipod (priorities man)