PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with this system?

pgustaf249
08-13-2010, 23:23
http://luxurylite.com/stackpackindex.html

leaftye
08-14-2010, 00:29
I hiked shortly with another hiker that had it. I didn't ask many questions because I the pack was much heavier than it actually it. I probably should have because I think I might consider it if I better understood how I might attach my own style of bags to it.

If you're just looking at external frames like this, you might want to take a look at Titanium Goat.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/pack.html

RichardD
08-14-2010, 01:35
I have a luxury Lite Pack, it might be a little different from the Stack Pack but has three cylinders, a hook belt, Carbon fiber frame and front pack. It looks pretty much the same thing.
For me it has been excellent, the customer service also excellent. The pack takes a little getting used to as it is not worn snugged up. It is great for walking but probably no good for climbing. All of the weight is carried on the hipbelt, it gives good ventilation on your back, it is very easy to pack, the bags velcro to the frame so can be removed easily and thrown into the tent,
I have come across people like me who love it and others who hate it. I don't know the exact weight but it is quite lightweight.
It was touted as waterproof but my experience was that it was not so, I don't know if the problem was leakage or condensation. Since I now use a poncho the issue is moot.
My thoughts are that the hook belt is not so great, I always undo the belt when I take a break, also the belt bruises my hip after about five weeks of hiking.
I never experience any form of backache with this pack.
The front pack sometimes does not stay in place well and one has to look around it to see where to place ones feet on a rocky descent, (a minor disadvantage to me).

Boliche
08-14-2010, 10:53
Take a look at the MollyMac Pack. Very similar.

Boliche

pgustaf249
08-16-2010, 14:35
I have a luxury Lite Pack, it might be a little different from the Stack Pack but has three cylinders, a hook belt, Carbon fiber frame and front pack. It looks pretty much the same thing.
For me it has been excellent, the customer service also excellent. The pack takes a little getting used to as it is not worn snugged up. It is great for walking but probably no good for climbing. All of the weight is carried on the hipbelt, it gives good ventilation on your back, it is very easy to pack, the bags velcro to the frame so can be removed easily and thrown into the tent,
I have come across people like me who love it and others who hate it. I don't know the exact weight but it is quite lightweight.
It was touted as waterproof but my experience was that it was not so, I don't know if the problem was leakage or condensation. Since I now use a poncho the issue is moot.
My thoughts are that the hook belt is not so great, I always undo the belt when I take a break, also the belt bruises my hip after about five weeks of hiking.
I never experience any form of backache with this pack.
The front pack sometimes does not stay in place well and one has to look around it to see where to place ones feet on a rocky descent, (a minor disadvantage to me).

When you say it's probably no good for climbing are you talking about stuff like mountain climbing or even the occasional climb one have on a marked trail? When you mention the front pack, are you referring to the pack that holds the water bottles and not the Ribz pack?

pgustaf249
08-16-2010, 14:36
Take a look at the MollyMac Pack. Very similar.

Boliche

So how is it in terms of ventilation around the back?

Country Roads
08-18-2010, 20:52
I like mine. You have to be a bit more careful with load balance, side to side, but you can accomidate that by moving the hook belt left or right or I just loosen or tighten a shoulder strap.
The ventilation was very good, I found the pack to be surprisingly stable on rugged trails and you can carry only the cylinders you actually need for a given trip. I have not used mine with the front pack yet, but I can see that being an issue when you really need to see foot placement.

I like being able to move the hip belt up or down depending on how I want to carry the load and not have it affect the "torso" length.

It is different and seems kinda strange at first, but after a mile or so I pretty much forgot I was carrying a different kind of pack.

The packs do have a 30 day trial period, which is why I decided to take the plunge, but I don't think I am going to send it back; I do like it.

Trisha
08-20-2010, 12:00
This looks similar to the "packless backpack" by Carol "Brawny" Wellman.
http://www.trailquest.net/BRpackless.html

pgustaf249
08-20-2010, 18:36
I like mine. You have to be a bit more careful with load balance, side to side, but you can accomidate that by moving the hook belt left or right or I just loosen or tighten a shoulder strap.
The ventilation was very good, I found the pack to be surprisingly stable on rugged trails and you can carry only the cylinders you actually need for a given trip. I have not used mine with the front pack yet, but I can see that being an issue when you really need to see foot placement.

I like being able to move the hip belt up or down depending on how I want to carry the load and not have it affect the "torso" length.

It is different and seems kinda strange at first, but after a mile or so I pretty much forgot I was carrying a different kind of pack.

The packs do have a 30 day trial period, which is why I decided to take the plunge, but I don't think I am going to send it back; I do like it.

Being a NuB I'm likely missing something. I'm definitely intrigued by the concept.It seems you would lose the convenience of having a small external pouch for a water bottle or something else you need quick access to. Of course, I suppose that's why they are recommending the front pack or the Ribz pack elsewhere on their website.

Country Roads
08-21-2010, 18:40
I did miss my belt pockets. I used my water bottle belt pack with the bottle turned to the front and buckled in the back to carry a small water bottle and small items. It buckled without a problem and did not cause any pain from the buckle. So I will probably use this on rugged hikes when I need to see foot placement, but will most likely use the front pack on open trails, rail trail, etc.