PDA

View Full Version : Ginseng

Bloodroot
11-19-2004, 13:05
I was hearing through the grapevine from some friends back home that the DNR is really starting to crack down on "sang" hunters. I actually heard in NC that the Div of Forestry has actually started using a staining dye (which is only visible under UV light) on plants in non-permitted areas where ginseng grows. So the illegal digger sells the dyed green gold and gets busted. Has anyone ever caught anyone digging or hauling out ginseng along the AT?

SGT Rock
11-19-2004, 13:10
Not on the AT. Saw it around Ft Knox. From the sangers I met and know, I wouldn't mess with them personally.

Bloodroot
11-19-2004, 13:18
Yes most of the people who are die hard that I know are ol' mountain men who make their year-round living off of trapping and sanging.

Bolo
11-19-2004, 13:39
:confused: For those of us out here who don't know what this is....I had to look it up.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/09_02/09_25_02/front_ginseng.html

MOWGLI
11-19-2004, 13:47
Unfortunately, its like anything else. With the price of sang as high as it is, there is little incentive to leave any behind for the future. Thus, the plant is being harvested unsustainably in many areas throughout the plants range.

The same thing has occurred with ramps in some areas, although to a lesser degree. The GSMNP did outlaw ramp collecting a few years ago, and is tagging some of the plants in an effort to stop illegal gathering.

Ramble~On
11-19-2004, 13:51
It's everywhere and they are trying to stop the illegal removal of it from places where it should be left to grow such as along the Blue Ridge Parkway, GSMNP and Wilderness Areas.
I have been digging it for years and since the price per pound has dropped fewer people dig a lot of it.
I haven't heard of anyone getting busted for digging it but then again pretty much everyone I know is responsible.
When I dig I never remove an entire clutch and always plant the berries.
The "illegal" folks will remove every plant that they can find and do it in areas that prohibit removal of anything.
The woods of Western North Carolina are still full of Ginseng and it isn't as if anyone is saying that there is a decline in the plant.

ridgewalker777
11-28-2004, 16:53
I've seen wild ginseng selling for around $200 a pound, but this is unnecessary."Wisconsin's Finest" ginseng is available for around $30 a pound. The people are great, it's co-op owned, it is certifiably organic and it has been tested to be above most all other ginsengs on the market!

ridgewalker777
11-28-2004, 16:55
Above other ginsengs in active properties, that is. Sorry for the unclear ending...

Pencil Pusher
12-01-2004, 00:00
Funny you should mention Wisconsin. I almost moved to Wausau on account of a woman and remember all those fields on Ginseng while driving around there. Fried cheese curds, more greasy foods than you can shake a stick at, and some kind of miniature car races at the local track.

Anyhow, after reading the article from the above link, apparently the wild root commands more of a price than the cultivated. Thanks for the link, good article.

Tractor
12-01-2004, 21:06
I've met a few folks along the way who were obviously going for the ginseng. Long pants (in summer) with dirty knees, dirt under their fingernails, in no hurry and making "camp" at, like 10am. These would be the poachers. The old timers are usually careful to avoid hikers and authorities and will always wait until season and plant the seed and leave the "momma's" and the "babies". They will always find it, year after year, in the same places using this practice. The poachers don't give a rat's azz. Neither is legal in protected areas but I would leave the old timer alone if I came upon him/her. I would, however, hike a few miles off plan to turn in a poacher.