PDA

View Full Version : PocketMail is NOT dead!

WalkingStick75
08-14-2010, 10:33
Pocketmail may be out of business and you can no longer e-mail with it but that does not mean you can not use it to write your journal. The main advantage of the Pocketmail for me is that it lasts forever on two AA batteries I never did use the e-mail function anyways. If you want constant communication while hiking you probably already have a smart phone and could care less about this thread.r pocketmail and want to continue to get some use out of it to keep your journal.

So make your daily entries just like you were typing an e-mail to somebody. I name the entry something like ........ Day001, Day002 etc.

When I return home I use the composer utility to backup the pocketmail then use Word with the file type option as "recover text from any file" and select the outbox.dat file from your backup data.

This will recover your journal in word format. Edit as needed.

Undershaft
08-19-2010, 10:47
Or you could just use paper and a pen. It weighs a lot less and takes up less space in your pack.

Smile
08-19-2010, 10:48
Anybody want to buy one?

Spokes
08-19-2010, 11:06
You can write your journal on a chalkboard too but who'd want too?

Bare Bear
08-23-2010, 11:49
BlackBoard, that is just silly. Besides when it rained all the writing washed off mine.

Undershaft
08-23-2010, 14:06
BlackBoard, that is just silly. Besides when it rained all the writing washed off mine.

You need to get yourself some stone tablets and a chisel. Your journal will last for thousands of years.

Mags
08-23-2010, 14:31
You need to get yourself some stone tablets and a chisel. Your journal will last for thousands of years.

A really short, 10 point one was done many years ago....

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/thetencommandments31.bmp

You'd think after 40 yrs it would be a bit more verbose?

Rocket Jones
08-23-2010, 19:20
Wait a sec... the way I heard it there were 15 points on the original. Until he dropped a page, that is. :)

Curtis Hall
12-24-2012, 11:56
Pocketmail may be out of business and you can no longer e-mail with it but that does not mean you can not use it to write your journal. The main advantage of the Pocketmail for me is that it lasts forever on two AA batteries I never did use the e-mail function anyways. If you want constant communication while hiking you probably already have a smart phone and could care less about this thread.r pocketmail and want to continue to get some use out of it to keep your journal.

So make your daily entries just like you were typing an e-mail to somebody. I name the entry something like ........ Day001, Day002 etc.

When I return home I use the composer utility to backup the pocketmail then use Word with the file type option as "recover text from any file" and select the outbox.dat file from your backup data.

This will recover your journal in word format. Edit as needed.

Is this still any option? I did about half the Trail on '05 and used Pocketmail extensively and still have it. Wondering if what you say here is still possible. In '05 phones on-the-Trail were just starting to get use and at the time, Hiker preferred others getting and making cvalls to leave the solitude of the Shelter/Campground and walk aways beofre using their phone. Not sure what the feelings are today.

Would like to continue to use the Compser but do not understand fully what all is required to do so. Hope you and/or others can reply to my post. Plan is to jump back on-the-Trail in Late january '13.

Phoenix

A

Datto
12-24-2012, 18:30
A really short, 10 point one was done many years ago....

Everyone thinks Moses' first name was Charlton. Not true. It was Bob. Bob Moses. Bob had invented that new means of trail communication -- the PocketRocks. People made much fun of it though. No one would take him seriously. Always jutted out their waist and made some kind of gesture with their pocket. Like a discount double-check from the stone age.

So Bob switched and instead used an Ararat Galaxy Tab for most composing most of his lists -- right up until Verizon did one too many over the air upgrades and bricked his tablet. And right after Bob had gotten to Item 9 on his really important list. Then came the Eleventh Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Do OTA Upgrades. That's about the time Bob switched to an iStone. Much better than a bricked tablet. Throws easier when it stops working.

Later, Bob changed his last name from Moses to Knight. Then he had the respect he was wanting. Bigtime respect.

Datto

Datto
12-24-2012, 19:11
I've gone ahead and updated Mags' illustration to be current:

Datto

Datto
12-24-2012, 19:54
Forgot the most important point:

Go Bears.

Datto

Sent from my Pocketmail.

Andrewsobo
12-24-2012, 20:51
If you already have one this kind of makes sense, but surely there are tons of lighter, cheaper, and more effective ways to accomplish this.