PDA

View Full Version : Is hiking a tradition in your family?

johnnybgood
08-14-2010, 14:12
Just thought I'd introduce a topic that I hadn't seen discussed before, or at least not recently. I shuttled a section hiker into town from Shenandoah Nat'l Park a few weeks ago and this discussion was brought up.
He had a brother that had thru-hiked in 2006, he and his dad had been section hiking since 2003 I believe, although he was going solo this day, meeting his dad for a resupply in Harpers Ferry. His nephew also was a section hiker and they had hiked a portion of the trail together. So this got me to thinking about families that hiker blood lines.

My family thinks I'm nuts for going hiking for 5-7 days at a time. :D

couscous
08-14-2010, 14:19
I'm trying to start a hiking tradition with my sons, but the rest of my family thinks I'm nuts for going hiking.

tlap
08-14-2010, 14:23
Both of my parents were hikers. My mother did the typical British 'rambles' with her sisters and they even did a short section on the AT on holiday one year. My father worked for the state forestry dept. in Vermont for a while, and had a lifelong respect for the outdoors.

Neither of them hiked for mileage. They hiked for the love of the woods.

I inherited that attitude, along with my father's brass case compass.

old school
08-14-2010, 14:35
I thru hiked with my wife and two of my sons in o6...my wife dropped out in Daleville,but finished as a section hiker last year....I got to rehike NH and Me with her...one of my sons left the trail at Lewis Mountain camp ground,but rejoined me at Cornwall Road in Conn. and went to Big K with me,did he went back to Conn. and walked south to Lewis Mountain campground and finished his thru hike..my other son has hiked over a 1000 miles of the AT....my daughter has hiked about 200 miles of the AT.......my oldest son does not even want to walk to the 7 11

SonrisaJo
08-14-2010, 15:27
I'm the only one. The folks are couch potatoes and the kids are nonexistent.

Mrs Baggins
08-14-2010, 16:51
On my side of the family it's just me. On my husband's side he and his dad did a couple of week-long trips back in the 70's and 80's. My husband still hikes and backpacks but no one else in his family does. Our son has gone on several day hikes and 2 overnights with us but it's something he's done only because we were going. Daughter definitely not interested.

kayak karl
08-14-2010, 17:34
my dad hikes 10 miles a day, who knows where he is by now???

rtfi
08-14-2010, 17:58
My dad used to race cars and I grew up either watching him race or going to races with him. Now I can't imagine wanting to go to a race rather than take a hike. I try to keep this in mind with my own son, not expecting him to become a hiker, although I do try to convey my passion to him. So, I would be in the "not inherited" camp...

Different Socks
08-15-2010, 00:04
While my father did like to fish and take the family camping, on a whole, I am the only person in my family that does any kind of hiking/backpacking on a regular basis. But, I do have my father to thank for taking the family to northern WI every summer. I would spend most of time exploring the woods around our cabin. I guess that's where the seed was planted.

Different Socks
08-15-2010, 00:07
BTW, I am trying to get my 24yr old son to do some hiking. he is interested in it. But like many kids that have grown up in this generation, the stimulus is all artificial, not natural.

ffstenger
08-15-2010, 04:06
No one in my family ever hiked tha I know of. I started hiking as a scout, but didn't hike while going to college or for the next 15 years.... Started
hiking close to home here in Missouri 17 years ago and started section hiking the AT 12 years ago and have every year since. My brother joined me a few years ago and my sister will join us next year. My wife will NOT hike (ever) and my kids think it's cool that Dad hikes, but they think it's sorta wierd. :rolleyes:

Penn-J
08-15-2010, 08:34
I'm definitely the only one in my family that has ever backpacked before. I inherited a love of the outdoors from my father who is an avid hunter and fisherman.
But he never went hiking or backpacking before.
I discoverd backpacking about ten years ago and it just really appealed to me.
I remember seeing an issue of Backpacker magazine on a shelf at a book store and thinking, "Wow, this is cool." So I got a subscription.
From time to time it would mention a guy named Thoreau. I remember thinking, who is this Thoreau guy? (I don't remember ever learning about him in high school)
So I bought a copy of Walden and that was it, I was hooked!

I remember staying at Lake of the Clouds hut in the whites on my thru-hike and seeing all these familys there having a great time, playing board games, talking about what they did that day, what they saw, and thinking to myself, "these kids are really lucky to have parents who like to hike."
I feel it's a great gift you can give to a child.

I have to say that I sometimes feel sad about the fact that I'm the only one in my family who likes to hike and they all pretty much think it's stupid and I'm nuts but...
I still feel very, very lucky.

vinovampire
08-15-2010, 08:39
Great question!

My dad has some great backpacking and camping stories from when he was younger. When I hear about the odd collection of "gear" they took with them into the White Mountains, it still makes me laugh.

Then, he had all of us kids. From as early as I remember he and my mom took us on "rambles" and day hikes in the woods. Even when we were all way too young to really "hike," they took us up the Cog Railroad to the top of Mt Washington and walked around the bottom exploring for hours and hours. I remember being a little kid and thinking, "I want to get up that mountain on my own someday." When I went off the college, my parents were very supportive of my hiking and backpacking and they have been ever since.

Last summer, we hiked around on the top of Mt Mansfield in Vermont. Both my parents were like kids in a candy shop. It was a really great experience for me. If anything, I think they've passed along a great love and respect of the outdoors to me, and for that I'm very grateful.

- vION vAMPRIE! -

Ol Mole
08-15-2010, 10:11
My father began taking me and my brothers backpacking around 1960. We developed a love of hiking and it continues to this day. My brothers and I try to get out several times a year to section hike. I began my son hiking at the age of 7 and he hikes with us as often as he can. Much of our family history revoles around hiking and camping together.

I am looking forward to my grandhildren being old enough to hit the trail, that will start the fourth generation for me. My brothers granddaughter joined us on a hike last spring.

We hope the tradition continues.

fredmugs
08-16-2010, 09:32
Nope. My Dad was a fat lazy slob and I have vowed to not be like him. Hiking motivates me to stay in shape.

I have taken my daughters out on 3 AT day hikes so far and they have enjoyed it so I'm hoping it is something they will want to do when they are older.

mister krabs
08-16-2010, 10:00
My parents are from New York City, they are city folks. My kids hike and love it.

Crotalus
08-16-2010, 10:31
We are working on it. Both my wife and I came from families with outdoor backgrounds - hunting, fishing, camping in RVs, even the fact that we lived in the country.

but neither family did extensive hiking or backpack camping. We are working to change that, have taken our kids on numerous day hikes while camping with our travel trailer/fifth wheel. My wife presents the next hurdle - getting her back into a tent ;) We had a miserable experience in a tent when the kids were really small, we bought our first travel trailer soon after. She has been softening her stance a bit lately, though.

The kids love hiking and I think they would be up for some overnight trips.

Ironically we live just south of Duncannon but have never hiked the AT, that will be changed soon also.

-SEEKER-
08-16-2010, 16:43
Smoking and drinking were the "Traditions" in my family. Fortunately my two younger brothers and I discovered hiking, albeit in our own time on our own terms.

Namaste
08-16-2010, 17:12
I inherited the love for hiking from my mom who passed away last year. I was born and raised in NYC but now live in NJ/PA which gives me great access to the AT. Both of my daughters like backpacking but especially my youngest (17) who has hiked about 200 miles of the AT with me through various states as well as LT. We try to take a trip during any school breaks. I'll miss her when she goes off to college. She's a great hiking partner!

garlic08
08-16-2010, 17:15
I definitely inherited my love of walking from my mom, and my dad was a scoutmaster for many years. I'm the only thru hiker in the family, but everyone understands, at least.

ki0eh
08-16-2010, 21:24
The kids love hiking and I think they would be up for some overnight trips.

How old are the kids? We're always looking for more kids who like to get outside. My daughter classifies hiking as an activity Mom and Dad do (we met on a SATC (http://www.satc-hike.org/) hike ) and even going into second grade the other kids are stuck to their DS's.

Crotalus
08-16-2010, 21:39
How old are the kids? We're always looking for more kids who like to get outside. My daughter classifies hiking as an activity Mom and Dad do (we met on a SATC (http://www.satc-hike.org/) hike ) and even going into second grade the other kids are stuck to their DS's.

12, 11 and 8.

Thanks for the SATC link, helping with trail maintenance is something i am interested in.

Bear Cables
08-16-2010, 23:47
I grew up with family camping and day hiking. Got into backpacking in the 90's when my sons were in scouts. They still enjoy backpacking and I got my sister hooked on it. I'm taking my husband on and overnighter in the Desolation Wilderness next week when we go to Tahoe hoping he will want to hike more with me. Working on a tradition.

bus
08-17-2010, 13:21
Hiked my first section of the A.T. in June, so...It is now...

Tuckahoe
08-17-2010, 15:41
Not a tradition of backpacking, but we did have a tradition of family and car camping. One of my fondest memories was the summer of 1979 when our family drove cross country from Virginia to Washington camping all along the way. We zig zagged all the way cross country, probably staying at every single KOA camp ground along the way. Had a VW pop-up camper and a couple tents. Most amazing night time skies along the way.

Yet, I never fully realized how sad it was too. My mom's dad died of a heart attack that spring and we were moving her mother to Washington to live near my aunt. My dad's mother was dying of cancer and this trip was the last time he would see her. She passed August 18 while in Washington and dad went back home.

For me backpacking came along in the 80s with both church youth groups and Boy Scouts. I was fortunate that on atleast one trip my dad was able to come along as he was about to retire from the Navy.

Bare Bear
08-18-2010, 11:42
Nah, they all think I'm crazy too.

ki0eh
08-18-2010, 20:55
12, 11 and 8.

Thanks for the SATC link, helping with trail maintenance is something i am interested in.

We've been trying to get a family hiking group (http://www.satc-hike.org/familyhikes.htm) started within SATC, our daughter's 7 and there's another one about her age too who usually come out, others are catch as catch can.

Wombat Farm
08-18-2010, 21:52
My family did dayhikes in NH when I was very young since my parents were involved a little with boy scouts. Seems I'm the only one out of 4 kids that stuck with it though. I started my 2 boys hiking in NH (where we'll all from) when they were about 5 and 7 years old. I'd have to drag them up the mountain then they's be so excited when they were above treeline. The oldest who is now 24 is insane about hiking. He just did Mt. Fuji in Japan and in Hawaii where he lives hikes as much as possible. The youngest likes hiking too but doesn't go often. Most of my family is also a bunch of couch potatoes and thinks I'm insane for sleeping out in the woods when I could be sleeping in a bed!

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2010, 22:19
Tough questions, the milage has never been there for my family, however the mentality has. My family has always respected nature and my parents were always involved in the Boy/Girl scouts with myself and my siblings. The longer I live in a suburb of a metropolitan area, the more I realize just how fortunate I was to have been raised by people who still see the outside world as an important part of life.

One of my favorite stores is that when I started hiking on the A.T. again two years ago I mentioned it to my Dad and he enthusiastically told me about his Boy Scout camping trips near Bulls Bridge in Connecticut in great detail. Even the trips happened almost 40 years ago, I was able to follow his description of the area when I passed through last fall.

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 23:03
Hope to make it a tradition when the boys are older, but at 6,3, and newborn, the are a little young.

Bare Bear
08-23-2010, 11:51
Come on man! El Jefe, whats a little more pack weight?

slugger
08-23-2010, 14:19
It had always been big in my family. My dad used to backpack and trail run. He would always take us car camping and we would do day hikes. My uncle did an AT thru-hike years ago and did hiking all over the country. I used to tell my dad that I was going to thru-hike when I was a kid, he would always tell me the packs are too heavy for me and they have to carry everything on their back.

Two years ago I did my first backpacking trip in SNP and have been going ever since.

johnnybgood
08-23-2010, 17:03
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;1041252] The longer I live in a suburb of a metropolitan area, the more I realize just how fortunate I was to have been raised by people who still see the outside world as an important part of life.

Exactly ! My parents were car campers. My first camping trip that I can remember was in the Smokies and It was then that I became " addicted " to the outside world .
Many camping trips had us walking places ,albeit they were short hikes that didn't get too far from the car.

werbitt
08-29-2010, 20:03
Hiking wasn't a tradition in my family growing up. Although there always has been a love and respect for the outdoors. I'd like to make a tradition in my future.

Phreak
08-29-2010, 20:07
I was 4-5 years old when we started hiking, camping and backpacking. Did it regularly up through college but got away from it in my 20's. Making up for it in my 30's.

Mango
08-29-2010, 20:43
My mom & dad took me camping when I was about 4 yrs. old. My sister came along and she went camping at 1 yr. Our "baby" sister went on her first camping trip (albeit in a travel trailer) at 3 weeks. My dad loved to trout fish and camp, but the only hiking he did was into remote creeks, for the fishing. I got my hiking bug from Boy Scouts - both as a Scout and as a leader. My daughter wanted to thru-hike the AT but had to get a job. Now she's married with a daughter of her own. My life's dream is to thru-hike the AT or PCT with the granddaughter. Her trail name will be Ajile (rhymes with Agile).

Who was the brother who thru'ed in '06? That's when I did it, too.

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2010, 21:01
Great thread, read it all.... Ok My Grandfather hiked parts of England with scouting and met Baden Powel and we have a rare (almost a glass slide) pics of him. I have to dig up. He completed Scouting - He went on to serv scouting e in WW1. And served in WW2 on the Home Guard. Derek his son and my father, climbed and hiked the French Alps between France and Spain, and intoduced me to Hiking the AT at the age of ten. We went on to to do many other states and I have hike the Hawaii Islands and Scotland and the Lake district in England. My son and I have Eagle Scout and he has done the Tuscorora Trail and others.... I think the run is over.

johnnybgood
08-19-2012, 10:42
Thought I would bring this thread back after 2 years for a second run.

I've been fortunate to have had parents that enjoyed the outdoors and car camping which ultimately influenced by love for hiking. Although hiking was only a mile or so from our campsite, it was still something of a tradition and was always a planned family event.

How were you first introduced to hiking ?

tiptoe
08-19-2012, 13:29
We did a certain amount of car camping when the kids were young, and now, when the weather cooperates, we often do "birthday hikes," which usually involve a trip to a beautiful spot (like Sam's Point Preserve in New York state), followed by dinner out.

avalonmorn
08-19-2012, 13:51
My grandparents came to Oklahoma from Tn, and grandad was a farm laborer. They had 7 kids, including my Mom. As a child, I was sent to spend a month each summer with them so Mom could take care of her 2 lap babies in peace. Grandad was a wanderer, using his day off, Sunday to wander the hills of Oklahoma. One morning he asked me to go with him, so grandma packed us a lunch in a lard bucket. Sliced ham on biscuits, put a dishrag on top, and we were off! I kept up with him(he said), and I was 8 years old. He taught me how to drink from a stream running down the mountain, showed me my first mountain boomer, and told me haunted stories from his beloved Tennessee. When we ate all the lunch, we found some current berries and took a bucket full to grandma. Yum! Current cobbler! This was in the 50's, and I went on to raise a family, had a high power job, raced thru life, etc. In my dreams, I was on that mountain with grandad, wind in hair, sun on my shoulders, smile on my face. I held that memory dear in my heart. A few years ago, I was retired due to illness, not expected to recover, living by myself. I got well enough to get out of bed, and started walking to the corner and back, was exhausted. Each day I went farther......I picked a rock up every time I met my goal, and had quite a collection. Now I have no trace of illness, doctors are surprised, it was God, and the walking. Now I hike the little hills of Oklahoma, going to the Buffalo river in the fall. My neighbors laugh when I "practice" here in Marlow with my backpack, and one ladie handed me 2 dollars from her car, thinking I was homeless. No, hiking is not a tradition in my family, they shake their heads, and love me. That is enough. Thank you all on Whiteblaze for allowing me to be part of your community while I get my courage and strength back.
Anna, class of over 50, 2013, starting April fools day.

tiptoe
08-19-2012, 13:59
Beautiful story, avalonmorn, and I hope to see you on the trail next year.

Kryptonite
08-19-2012, 14:26
I started hiking as a teenager. After my dad passed away, I got my mom involved in the local hiking club and for several years we went on hikes together.

kayak karl
08-19-2012, 16:28
old article about my dad.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30048