PDA

View Full Version : gander mountain Backcountry Camping Check Li

litespeedlujak
08-14-2010, 21:19
I paid a visit to the local Gander Mountain today. I picked up a pamphlet titled Back Country Camping Check List. Far be it from me, being the inexperienced hiker I am, to cut anyone one what they choose to bring on a backpacking trip, but a few of the items listed are a bit silly. Hammer, baseball bat, jeans, ax, bowls, coffee pot, napkins, plates, bread, marshmallows. Its no wonder people bring cast iron skillets and a full can of Coleman fuel on a week of backpacking or even on a thruhike. What are you going to use the bat for? Defense against wildlife? I read of one guy who left Springer with scuba gear because he had heard that he would need it to get across the Kennebec.

Gray Blazer
08-14-2010, 21:22
No basketball?

Luddite
08-14-2010, 21:37
Are you sure it wasn't a joke? That store is kind of a joke. Theres one not far from where I live and I think all they sell as far as backpackign gear is Gregory backpacks.

Tuckahoe
08-14-2010, 22:12
Far be it for me to point this out... But that seems quite reasonable for someone who is camping rather than backpacking. It seems to me that the two are not necessarily the same.

litespeedlujak
08-14-2010, 23:15
Allow me to restate the name of the brochure. Back Country Camping Check List. If one were to be roaming the backcountry, this would not be camping. This is called backpacking. As well, if one were camping, you probably wouldn't be in the backcountry. I picked up another brochure titled Quick Trip Camping Check List. This is most likely the one Gander Mountain would want you to use for camping since it says "Camping" and not back country Camping. It was no joke. It was close to the cash registrars on a carousel type display with 15 other outdoors brochures.

Toolshed
08-15-2010, 05:16
You need to understand what is meant by backcountry in Gander mountain sense and what is meant by backcountry in many other senses. GM Term means you drive a few hundred yards down a gravel campground road to set up at your allotted site number.
Though I hardly consider the AT backcountry, it is more backcountry like than anywhere most that even most of the hardiest campers would find at GM.

Bearpaw
08-15-2010, 08:07
My dad is a Gander Mountain fan. "Backcountry" is where your ATV can take you. Nuff said.

M1 Thumb
08-15-2010, 08:14
I think Gander has outsourced their pamphlet design and printing to a company in India. In a lonely cubicle sits a 20 y/o named "Stephen" who has a checklist of items from which he can pick from to be included in Gander's helpful guide.

Tuckahoe
08-15-2010, 08:37
Part of the flaw here is the assumption that the only way to get into the back country is by hiking. Couple that with the idea already stated concerning the nature of Gander Mt's market and its easy to realize that the GM back country check list is just fine for those that want to use it.

One clear example would seem to be hunters heading out into the backcountry and establishing a base camp. Hammers and axes are certainly reasonable. And marshmallows? I certainly wouldnt laugh at a burly manly hunter who after a day of elk hunting, truly wishes for some smores.

Appalachian Tater
08-15-2010, 09:45
I have seen plenty of hikers on the A.T. with marshmallows. They don't weigh much and a bag has plenty to share and most everyone enjoys toasting marshmallows on the fire.

litespeedlujak
08-15-2010, 11:12
Cranberry backcountry (WV) state only hiking, bicycling, and horses are allowed in the backcountry. Maybe the regs in your state differ. Only the horse would be qualified to carry extra weight. But even I that I wouldn't overload the animal. I think part of the flaw here is that I was being serious by not carrying marshmallows. Hells bells, you wanna carry marshmallows, then carry marshmallows. Carry anything you want. I'll bring the Graham crackers and chocolate.

daddytwosticks
08-15-2010, 15:40
Hey...bags of marshmallows make great pillows! :)

Doctari
08-15-2010, 15:58
Being kiln dried Ash (for the most part) a baseball bat would be a excellent source of tinder for starting fires in an emergency. :p

Besides, if you have a; horse, ATV, Hummer, etc to carry all your supplies: Why worry about the weight?

litespeedlujak
08-15-2010, 17:43
Nothing wrong with marshmallows. I don't care for them though. I'd much rather have a good pork chop. The Appalachians are full of boar. Thinking of bringing along my 7 mm. Might even bring along my 55 gallon barrel smoker. Nothing better thaneating fresh killedpig on the trail. I could throw my pack into the barrel and carry the barrel instead. Maybe set up a little shack on top of blood mountain and sell ribs and BBQ.

Bearpaw
08-15-2010, 19:52
Nothing wrong with marshmallows. I don't care for them though. I'd much rather have a good pork chop. The Appalachians are full of boar. Thinking of bringing along my 7 mm. Might even bring along my 55 gallon barrel smoker. Nothing better thaneating fresh killedpig on the trail. I could throw my pack into the barrel and carry the barrel instead. Maybe set up a little shack on top of blood mountain and sell ribs and BBQ.

You see, the folks at Gander Mountain have it all figured out! ;):D