PDA

View Full Version : Foil Wrap Cooked Ground Beef

SGT Rock
11-19-2004, 15:59
Anyone seen this before? I was in Wal-Mart today to get some more iodine and they had Jack Link's fully cooked ground beef in a foil pack like tuna or some chicken you can get these days. It has 10.6 ounces of already cooked ground beef. It looks like it could be a good way to carry some semi-fresh meat on the trail.

Hellbilly
11-19-2004, 16:04
I have used it a few times. If you are cooking for 2 or more people it's great, but a bit much for one. It works well with pasta.

trippclark
11-19-2004, 17:14
I agree that it is a bit much for one. The mexican flavored works great on tortillas. I just wish it came in smaller packages.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2004, 17:16
It tastes o.k. but a bit pricey at $3.99.

SGT Rock
11-19-2004, 17:19
I got mine for somewhere around $2.90

Toolshed
11-19-2004, 17:29
I thought the stuff was horrible. Very greasy and "spam-ly tasting.
I see it now in the store and immediately get that horrible taste in the back of my mouth.

Rain Man
11-19-2004, 18:31
... Jack Link's fully cooked ground beef in a foil pack like tuna or some chicken you can get these days. It has 10.6 ounces of already cooked ground beef. It looks like it could be a good way to carry some semi-fresh meat on the trail.

Rock,

My daughter and her hiking partner loved this stuff this year. I split it into two equal amounts, baked it a bit in the toaster oven to kill the nasties since I opened it, and then sealed it in two Food Saver bags, then froze it. Later, I'd throw a bag in a food box when I'd mail one to her. They mixed it with mac 'n cheese, I believe.
:sun
Rain Man

Big Dawg
11-22-2004, 17:38
Toolshed, I'm w/ you,, tasted too much like spam. Uggghhhh.

SAR-EMT40
11-22-2004, 17:55
Try making your own ground beef. I use 90% fat free hamburger meat. Cook it up, drain off the fat and then dry whats left in my dehydrator. What you wind up with looks like gravel but it rehydrates pretty good. I use it a lot of different foods where ever some meat would be used. i.e. spagetti, macaroni and cheese, etc. Oh yeah, its also very light.

Keith

Big Dawg
11-22-2004, 17:59
Also reminded me of corned beef,, w/ it's yellow, greasy consistency. I appreciate others previous responses, but this stuff looked nothing like what was pictured on the outside, & definately didn't taste like cooked ground beef. Just my $.02

Ridge
11-22-2004, 18:58
Sounds like a good idea, beefinabag, I usually buy in a store a frozen steak, chicken, pack it and ready to cook for supper. Using a woodburner zip, I can grill the steak or chicken with no problem.

The Solemates
11-22-2004, 19:09
we used this stuff a lot on our thru this year with hamburger helper entrees. excellent meal for 2.

Stix
12-03-2004, 18:48
Don’t waste your money on this imitation ground beef because it’s absolutely horrible. Looks and taste nothing like ground beef. Go with the dehydrated ground beef.

Dances with Mice
12-03-2004, 19:19
I thought the hamburger was too big for one person meals, and the Mexican-style one overpowered the single Liptons pack of noodles when I tried it. I prefer the foil packs of chicken, turkey, salmon, all the tuna flavors, and now there's even shrimp and crab meat in foil packs. There's also foil packs of chopped ham, but it's really tough and stringy.

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 19:34
...and now there's even shrimp and crab meat in foil packs.

The shrimp tastes like cardboard IMHO .... BUT the SMOKED OYSTERS are great. THEY have taste to them... AND are packed in oil. Come in same little packets as the shrimp and crab.

:sun
Rain Man

grandview
12-03-2004, 20:53
Anyone seen this before? I was in Wal-Mart today to get some more iodine and they had Jack Link's fully cooked ground beef in a foil pack like tuna or some chicken you can get these days. It has 10.6 ounces of already cooked ground beef. It looks like it could be a good way to carry some semi-fresh meat on the trail.
the mexican ground beef is good...the itallian tastes too much like black jelly beans...
i bought some for a dollar a pack...must have been a promotion...

i agree about it being too much for one sitting. a good dinner to share...

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 12:14
Follow up post to this thread...

Last night we camped up at campsite #1 near Abrams Creek Campground and I used this stuff. I mixed Spanish rice and refried beans in one pot, and in the other we reheated the groundbeef and some cheese, then put these onto tortillas to make burrittos. It was a good meal, but not as good as using dehydrated cooked ground beef ususally is. In the future I would probably choose foil wrapped chicken or dehydrated ground beef before I went to this - it is a number 3 or 4 choice.

screwysquirrel
12-16-2004, 02:58
That stuff is nasty to me anyway. I thought it tasted like crap. I took it with me out to Maine earlier this year and I didn't like it at all. But to each his own.

SGT Rock
12-16-2004, 09:02
I may be desensitized. I have eaten a lot of crappy food in my life ;)

Midway Sam
03-16-2007, 10:23
Did this stuff disappear everywhere? I went to Wal-Mart to pick some up and they don't stock it anymore...

Ewker
03-16-2007, 10:26
they stopped making it about a yr ago. I went to their website and it isn't even listed

Midway Sam
03-16-2007, 10:27
Dang. Must not be a market for foodstuff that tastes like ass (on it's own). It was quite good for using in recipies.

sarbar
03-16-2007, 10:42
Midway, just do home dried gravel at home. Better tasting, cheaper and lighter!

Midway Sam
03-16-2007, 10:45
Midway, just do home dried gravel at home. Better tasting, cheaper and lighter!

Yup. I was looking at the Nesco dehydrator at Wal-Mart last night that you recommend on your site. I just don't have $45 extra before my trip.

BTW, I had your Cranberry Chicken Rice (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/dinnerricedishes.htm)for lunch yesterday. It was VERY good.

sarbar
03-16-2007, 13:22
You can do it in your oven! :) Easy too!

Johnny Swank
03-16-2007, 16:24
Jack Links was one of our sponsors for that Mississippi River trip, and sent us several packages of that hamburger. Great stuff for what it was, and we bought a half-dozen to have on hand at the house when we got back. Pity they're not making it anymore.

The Weasel
03-16-2007, 17:03
Try making your own ground beef. I use 90% fat free hamburger meat. Cook it up, drain off the fat and then dry whats left in my dehydrator. What you wind up with looks like gravel but it rehydrates pretty good. I use it a lot of different foods where ever some meat would be used. i.e. spagetti, macaroni and cheese, etc. Oh yeah, its also very light.

Keith

Buried somewhere here on WB is my "dehydrated hamburger" recipe. I add 1 teaspoon of pepper, one of onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to serve as mold/rancidity inhibitors. I've had it keep for 3 months or more w/o refrigeration.

The Weasel

The Weasel
03-16-2007, 17:06
Buried somewhere here on WB is my "dehydrated hamburger" recipe. I add 1 teaspoon of pepper, one of onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to serve as mold/rancidity inhibitors. I've had it keep for 3 months or more w/o refrigeration.

The Weasel

Here is the link to my recipe.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2674&highlight=dried+hamburger+weasel#post2674

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2007, 17:37
Did this stuff disappear everywhere? I went to Wal-Mart to pick some up and they don't stock it anymore...

There's a big recall on Wal-Mart dog food - maybe it's a connected issue? :D