PDA

View Full Version : Late Fall in Georgia

Graywolf
08-16-2010, 00:11
Looking for what to expect for a late fall section hike as it dosnt look I am going to make it to Georgia in August.. Looking roughly around Thanksgiving..

After reading weather charts and past weather reports, looks like none of the information i've pulled up agrees with each other..

Any ideas..??

Graywolf

khog03
08-16-2010, 03:25
A friend and I went last year beginning at the approach trail on November 12. The trees were mostly bare, but the weather was perfect IMO. During the day it was comfortable to wear just shorts and a short sleeved shirt. At night it did get kind of chilly, but in my 15* down bag I got hot and had to unzip it (with minimal clothing). I would definitely rather go out in November/December than in August. Perfect hiking weather. And oh man, I can still smell that sweet, cool, fresh air... Of course, our trip got cut short because of his unpreparedness.

It doesn't get cold very quickly here in GA though.

Graywolf
08-16-2010, 03:35
A friend and I went last year beginning at the approach trail on November 12. The trees were mostly bare, but the weather was perfect IMO. During the day it was comfortable to wear just shorts and a short sleeved shirt. At night it did get kind of chilly, but in my 15* down bag I got hot and had to unzip it (with minimal clothing). I would definitely rather go out in November/December than in August. Perfect hiking weather. And oh man, I can still smell that sweet, cool, fresh air... Of course, our trip got cut short because of his unpreparedness.

It doesn't get cold very quickly here in GA though.

Lol.. We, USUALLY, dont get cold til around January. This year was an exception..I remember last year on my section hike in August, I enjoyed emensely.. After not being able to get to the trail this year till Thanksgiving, then I am giving it some thought. I do like the woods and Mountains when its cool and the air is wihispering in the trees..Something about it is enchanting..

Graywolf

khog03
08-16-2010, 04:01
haha now that you mention it I do seem to remember some insane weather out that way(mainly because my friend living in Dallas wouldn't shut up about it!) I don't seem to recall any nonsensical weather in north GA... but there is really no way to plan in advance for something like that :/

Sierra Echo
08-16-2010, 06:04
Its cold in late fall, especially up in the mountains.

bigcranky
08-16-2010, 07:35
November is a great time to be on the trail in the South. You'll likely have some cold nights, even some around 20-F or so, with most at or below freezing. The days will range from 30s to 50s -- excellent hiking weather.

Get a blaze orange pack cover, and an orange bandana, and wear them.

Graywolf
08-17-2010, 04:02
November is a great time to be on the trail in the South. You'll likely have some cold nights, even some around 20-F or so, with most at or below freezing. The days will range from 30s to 50s -- excellent hiking weather.

Get a blaze orange pack cover, and an orange bandana, and wear them.

Hey thanks. Just ordered an Orange pack from Alps. Should be highly visable.. plus A 20 degree bag just in case.

I know hiking the trails in Texas in winter can get cold at night, but the hiking is worth it.. The peacefulness is very serene..

Bare Bear
08-18-2010, 11:51
I have been up there many times & seasons and the worst was a dry August. No water from Long Falls north to Neels Gap! I bailed at Woody Gap and got a ride back to Springer.

flemdawg1
08-18-2010, 13:01
Seen weather here in the South from single digits (Nov '07) to high 80s in fall, you'll just have to check the forecast before you leave.

Graywolf
08-22-2010, 02:41
Thanks for the posts. I will keep track of the weather on Blood Mountain until then..

Thanks,

Graywolf