PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina section questions

Northern Lights
08-16-2010, 00:59
Hi we are planning on section hiking the AT and are starting in North Carolina.

We will be spending 10 days on the trail and are wondering what the terrain is like. We just completed the Chilkoot Trail(the meanest 33 miles ever) and it was relatively easy.

But we want to make sure that we can reasonably do the roughly 90 miles in that 10 days. We are looking at starting at Bly Gap and ending in Fontana Dam.

Any words of advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wombat Farm
08-16-2010, 02:29
NC is a piece of cake! The terrain is quite nice and NO rocks (per say...). 90 miles in 10 days is very do -able. ENJOY!

bigcranky
08-16-2010, 07:41
Yes, 10 days for that section is fine. With a couple of spectacular exceptions, the climbs are well graded. Good views, generally good water (depends on season.)

Note that you can't really start at Bly Gap -- you can start at Deep Gap in NC and backtrack, or at Dick's Creek Gap in Georgia. (Blue Ridge Gap is closer to the border, but the last I heard the road was not in great shape.) I would start at DCG for the easy access to the trail.

Resupply in Franklin is good - easy hitch into town (10 miles east) with real grocery stores. Resupply at Wesser at the Nantahala Outdoor Center is okay, some selection but not huge. But they have a great restaurant, and you can get a bunk in the basecamp right on the trail. Cool place.

If you go in the late fall, wear blaze orange. An orange pack cover is almost certainly enough.

veteran
08-16-2010, 21:53
Starting at Bly Gap, check the link.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=957923&postcount=22

Northern Lights
08-17-2010, 01:30
Thanks for the information, it will definately be helpful in planning.

Kerosene
08-17-2010, 07:34
Consider starting at Deep Gap, just south of Standing Indian. You can get a shuttle through Haven's Budget Inn out of Franklin. Heading north, the first 25 miles are a piece of cake (I just walked this section with my newbie teenage daughter). I've heard that it gets a little wilder from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam, and then you enter the Smokies. You shouldn't have any trouble covering 9 mpd anywhere on the southern AT.

Spokes
08-17-2010, 08:14
Yes, no hiking trip to North Carolina is complete without visiting Ron Haven or riding on his shuttle. His stories are worth the trip alone.

BTW, us Tar Heels have been known to kick some butt too.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Tar_Heel_postcard.jpg

Brass Rat
08-17-2010, 11:18
Resupply at Wesser at the Nantahala Outdoor Center is okay, some selection but not huge. But they have a great restaurant, and you can get a bunk in the basecamp right on the trail. Cool place.

We were at NOC the 3rd week of October last year; the store had practically no stock left, and the counter guy said they were about a week away from shutting down for the season. So depending on the season, you may not want to count on it for resupply.

bigcranky
08-17-2010, 13:21
We were at NOC the 3rd week of October last year; the store had practically no stock left, and the counter guy said they were about a week away from shutting down for the season.

Good point. Depends on when they want to go.

Starting at Bly Gap, check the link.

Technically this is true, however I'm not sure I'd tell folks from far away to attempt the drive to Bly Gap. Not sure any of the shuttle services offer that, either.

Northern Lights
08-21-2010, 11:03
Thanks again everyone for the information. I will definately share this information with my hiking buddy and will probably be back for more information. You guys rock!

Trailweaver
08-22-2010, 02:46
If you really want to start at Blue Ridge Gap, where the FSR is, there is a shuttle service that will take you to the FSR and it is a one mile hike up the road to the trail. The road is really in bad shape and not fit for anything except maybe an all terrain vehicle to make it up. The shuttle service is in Hiawassee, GA, the closest town to the FSR at Blue Ridge Gap. From Blue Ridge it is about 4 miles to Bly Gap. I was there about two weeks ago, and water is scarce at this point - water at Bly Gap and at Muskrat Creek shelter - but you need to carry water also to be on the safe side. The shuttle service I use is Joyce and Sally, two really nice ladies who just take care of AT hikers. Their phone no. is 706/896-9339. They will take you to Dick's Creek Gap or Deep Gap too if you prefer either one of those.

Northern Lights
08-28-2011, 22:01
Well it's been more than a year since I started this thread. I have read so many threads on here and learned so many things from you folks. You are all like one big encyclopedia. And totally dysfunctional( I mean that in a good way) It's kind of like family:)

My plans have changed a bit and I now will be hiking GA as well as NC. Three weeks on the AT!!! Shuttles are arranged and a stop at Ron Haven's is on the agenda. Thanks so much for all the information over the last year.

Now you UL folks close your eyes, because I'm quite proud of the fact that I have my pack down to 36 pounds which is almost 20 pounds lighter than my last trip :D

So if you are on the trail next month and see some crazy canuck on the trail say hello!

bigcranky
08-29-2011, 10:00
Sounds great. Have fun. That's one of my favorite parts of the trail.

MkBibble
08-29-2011, 14:28
I'm walking from Deep Gap to Fontana (with any luck) the last week of September. Wave if you see me; I'll be the one going real slow.... ;)

Northern Lights
08-29-2011, 21:12
I'm walking from Deep Gap to Fontana (with any luck) the last week of September. Wave if you see me; I'll be the one going real slow.... ;)

Will do :D

Northern Lights
10-09-2011, 21:22
I'm back and thanks to the information I found here over the last year, I had a fantastic hike! It was great to meet some whiteblaze members. Thanks to daddy two sticks, bear bait, survivor Dave, wildman and all the other great people I met on the hike and all of the information they provided.

Georgia kicked MY ass but once through there NC was relatively easy. I'll be back :D

daddytwosticks
10-10-2011, 07:24
Hey there Northern Lights...glad you had a great time! :)

Northern Lights
10-10-2011, 11:54
Thanks daddytwosticks. It was a great adventure. :D