PDA

View Full Version : Cost

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 08:26
How much does it cost to do a thru-hike if you already have the gear?

Lone Wolf
08-16-2010, 08:26
about 4 grand

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 08:42
what cost so much?

Roughin' It
08-16-2010, 08:44
Ben & Jerry's, and Beer.

GeneralLee10
08-16-2010, 08:46
Everything cost, food is not cheep nor are hotels and some hostel stays. You need to buy new shoes the list will go on. LW is correct

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 08:47
What if you didnt spend money on items like that and conserved money. How much would you need then?

Lone Wolf
08-16-2010, 08:49
what cost so much?

food, restaurants, hostels, shuttles, motels, beer, gear

Lone Wolf
08-16-2010, 08:50
What if you didnt spend money on items like that and conserved money. How much would you need then?

most who plan like this don't make it past damascus

kayak karl
08-16-2010, 08:57

if you try to do it for less you won't be able to hang with the others with money (and they won't want you with them if you pull the poor act)
you will be hiking your own hike:) but try it. have fun

GeneralLee10
08-16-2010, 08:57
Things like what, no new shoes, no nice ice cold beer, no bugers or pizza. Good luck on your hike, trust me dude I thought the same way you are now. It is a totaly different thing when your out for weeks. Just save the money and your trip will be a whole lot more fun. You meet friends along the way hike with them for a week or so. Then they say hey we are getting a room and going to hit the nice greasy buffet in town you down. Then you have to say na I'm going to hike on and eat my Ramen and PB. All I can say is good luck, no need to bum your way to the end.

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 09:01
Thanx for the estimates. I'm going with at least 3 grand. I can get more money when I reach Roan Mountain, TN. If I reach RM

Roughin' It
08-16-2010, 09:02
Well, to answer your own question, you wouldn't need as much.

If somehow you were able to abstain from hostels, hotels, eating out, etc. then you would be lucky to get by with 2 grand.

I know that when I was reupplying, i generally spent about $10/day. If i needed 4 days food, It would come to about $40. So my hike took about 150 days which = $1,500 JUST on necessary food. Many factors come into play. Hike faster, spend less time actually out there, so theoretically spend les money on resupplies. Avoid all town urges if your budget doesn't allow.

garlic08
08-16-2010, 09:04
Too many variables to list. How many days on trail, how many days in town, do you get sick on the way, how much gear do you replace on the way.... My rough breakdown, without initial gear: $700 trail food, $750 town food, $800 lodging, $300 gear replacement (mainly shoes and socks), $700 travel to and from GA/ME. My hike was relatively cheap, because I hiked fairly fast (3.5 months), stayed healthy, and only took three days off in towns. But I splurged on town food and stayed in motels overnight when the opportunity arose, which was pretty often.

If you're very experienced at staying in the woods and can stay strong and healthy doing it, the AT can be hiked for less than $2000. Plan on at least $1000 just for food for the typical five month-plus hike, and that will be challenging--it's hard to do for less than $7 per day (without freeloading). You'll want to stay at a hostel every couple of weeks for shower and laundry, and it's really hard to pass up a pizza or deli right on the trail. Lots of hikers also have recurring expenses--a cell phone contract, car insurance, health insurance, etc.

The Solemates
08-16-2010, 09:07
we spent about $5000 for two people.

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 09:13
I dont know my experience level, but I grew up next to the AT. I walk up in the woods and stay for days at a time when i'm doing my hunting. I know he mountains really good. IDK. I hope i'm experienced enough? Also I have a lot of motivation and weather is not a problem.

10-K
08-16-2010, 09:19
A popular question. For me the number would be in the $7000 range. I'd rather have a few coins too many than a few coins too few.

You'll hear everything from $2000 - $7000, everyone has their own style.

The biggest variable is how fast you hike.

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 09:25
What's the longest stretch on the AT between towns?

garlic08
08-16-2010, 09:30
About 100 miles.

BAMAFAN
08-16-2010, 09:34
Thanx for all the info from everyone.

Llama Legs
08-16-2010, 15:53
A popular question. For me the number would be in the $7000 range. I'd rather have a few coins too many than a few coins too few.

You'll hear everything from $2000 - $7000, everyone has their own style.

The biggest variable is how fast you hike.

...is $20,000 (seriously, he was a 2009 thru hiker). I can't disclose his name or his wife may very well kill him !

10-K
08-16-2010, 16:04
...is $20,000 (seriously, he was a 2009 thru hiker). I can't disclose his name or his wife may very well kill him !

Rock on!

Did he hike 8 miles a day and take 9 months to finish?

DapperD
08-16-2010, 20:51
What if you didnt spend money on items like that and conserved money. How much would you need then?Items like what, food? If your idea is to deprive yourself of food your body will be needing and demanding due to the rigors of the hike in an effort to conserve funds, then guess what. You most likely won't get very far. You need to have the funds available to hike even if you don't wind up spending them. This is what is most important. As long as you have available funds, then begin your hike and attempt to not waste money on any "unnecessary" things, say such as truly unneeded motel and hotel stays, for instance. Attempt to do your hike as you see fit, and hopefully when you are finished it will have been a conservative one, and you will walk away with money still in the bank. Just be sure you have it available if the trip turns out to cost somewhat more than you had bargained for financially:-?.

Bucherm
08-17-2010, 05:47
Rock on!

:clap:clap:clap

I got it!

Llama Legs
08-17-2010, 08:37
Rock on!

And lots of hotels and steak dinners.

BAMAFAN
08-17-2010, 13:48
Items like what, food? If your idea is to deprive yourself of food your body will be needing and demanding due to the rigors of the hike in an effort to conserve funds, then guess what. You most likely won't get very far. You need to have the funds available to hike even if you don't wind up spending them. This is what is most important. As long as you have available funds, then begin your hike and attempt to not waste money on any "unnecessary" things, say such as truly unneeded motel and hotel stays, for instance. Attempt to do your hike as you see fit, and hopefully when you are finished it will have been a conservative one, and you will walk away with money still in the bank. Just be sure you have it available if the trip turns out to cost somewhat more than you had bargained for financially:-?.

I was replying back to a previous post about BEN & JERRYs & BEER. Without spending money on those items and yes hotels too. Just sounds like alot of people waste to much money to me. IDK maybe I dont know what I'm talking about?

jersey joe
08-17-2010, 14:07
I was replying back to a previous post about BEN & JERRYs & BEER. Without spending money on those items and yes hotels too. Just sounds like alot of people waste to much money to me. IDK maybe I dont know what I'm talking about?
I agree, people do spend way more than they need to on the trail. There is nothing wrong with spending a lot of money on the trail and most people probably do spend 3-5k.

If you do a sub 4 month thru hike and stay in the woods instead of in towns, you can get away with a thru hike for well under $2,000. I did.

RGB
08-17-2010, 14:10

Holy hell! Did he buy a car at some point and decide to yellow blaze the rest of the way? I don't see how you can spend that much money and have a genuine trail experience. I've had friends that spent less living in Europe for 6 months. That's tuition + living expenses. The excess of some people knows no bounds.

Trailbender
08-17-2010, 16:38
How much does it cost to do a thru-hike if you already have the gear?

Mine was right at $2500, including about $300 in gear I bought along the way.

DapperD
08-17-2010, 17:37
I was replying back to a previous post about BEN & JERRYs & BEER. Without spending money on those items and yes hotels too. Just sounds like alot of people waste to much money to me. IDK maybe I dont know what I'm talking about?I am not trying to imply you don't know what you are saying, and I don't want/and am not trying to be harsh. You pretty much know what you will desire for your trip, when you stop to think about it. If you are a beer drinker then you will need to allot money for that. Enjoy all-you-can eats=money. Hotels/Motels=money. It's really just a question of what you are expecting to do/enjoy on your trip. If you plan to do nothing but hike in and live in the woods, then your trip will remain Spartan and you will be able to hike on the cheap. And remember that what may appear to you to be a waste of money now, may be something you will be willing to pay for and go out of your way for later. Those little treats, splurges etc...may be just what a hiker needs in order to remain committed to and to complete his hike. Try to have about $4000 to $5000 set aside for your hike (after gear is purchased). If you don't use it all, at least you will know you have it.

Mr. Right
08-17-2010, 17:51
When I did a pre-hike budget for my '09 thru, I estimated the price to be slightly less than $1500. I was also thinking that I'd stay in a hostel/hotel/motel only about every two weeks and wouldn't need to change any gear besides shoes. Well, I ended up spending about $3000, because once I was out there I really wanted to go into town for that pizza, and that bed in Gorham felt so good I just had to take another zero, and if there was a bar, I was going to stop at it.

Basically, I'm saying the Trail can be thru-hiked for very little ... but I think most people, even spartan ones like me, will find themselves caught up in the culture and the physical changes in their body and want to have the little extras.

My advice make a budget and then have twice that much money available to you.

Graywolf
08-18-2010, 01:56
So basically everyone here is saying that in order to successfully complete the trail, you have to party the whole way??

WoW!! 700$ for transportation?? Thats steep. It cost be a total of $200 for my section hike.. And I live in Texas..

Im planning on $2500 for my thru. I love the way the one poster stated that going to cheap is bumming your way.. Life dosnt have to be expensive if you dont want it to be. Also, I no longer drink. So that takes out beer too.. Hotels?? Id rather sleep in a shelter. I have had more fleas and roaches from hotels then I can stand..

$7000 for a thru?? Thats outrageous!! BUt then, if you cant live without the "luxuries of life", well.......There are ways to make a hike cheaper then paying top dollar on a hike..Just depends how you want to hike. My $7.00 drystar shirt I bought from Walmart works just as good as a Pantagonia shirt that cost 5 times as much. And Ive had it for 4 years.. Weighs nothing...You folks are way too expensive...Have fun!!

BrianLe
08-18-2010, 08:46
"So basically everyone here is saying that in order to successfully complete the trail, you have to party the whole way??
Im planning on $2500 for my thru."

I don't know how to say this without sounding patronizing (and I definitely don't mean to), but hiking for several months isn't entirely like connecting several hundred-mile section hikes, a persons attitudes do change about some things along the way. Some spending that might seem like a luxury to a section hiker might feel a bit different to someone that's been living in the woods for a lot longer. Still, a person can *share* a motel room or look more for hostels and the like, there are ways to keep the costs down and not stay out of towns entirely. I don't think that would be a terribly practical plan. A person wants a shower once in a while and a "town meal".

When you say you're planning on $2500 for a thru-hike, I think what matters here (and I'm sure this has been pointed out before) is just what you mean by "planning". If it means that you've budgeted $2500 but in fact can afford to spend more if that makes sense along the way then --- sounds like a fine goal to me. If, however, it means that $2500 is all you have and you're flat broke if you go beyond that, I too would suggest that this is going pretty lean.

Even if you retain your discipline about towns and luxuries along the way --- possibly at times at the cost of trail partnerships that you would otherwise like to maintain --- do factor in also the chance of things going wrong in a variety of ways. On the AT this year I was off trail for 16 days with Giardia; the first three I spent in a motel room. Yes, I guess I could have holed up in the woods somewhere, but in fact it was pretty nice to have a readily available toilet, plus it was very hot at the time. Laying around in a tent feeling miserable with nothing to do but hope you get well in the heat --- it was certainly worth while for me to get the motel room. Then I flew home as I wasn't getting better, saw my doctor. All in all a pretty significant budget hit that wasn't anticipated. Later along the way I strained a leg muscle, literally had to hobble back down to the trail town I had come from, and again sat around for a few days to let it heal. My hiking partner got a Lyme-like tick-borne disease and spent a few days in a motel, saw a local doctor. Stuff happens, a realistic budget IMO will account for taking at least an unanticipated week off the trail.

On the PCT I took a week off to, again, go home and see my doctor, this time for a foot issue. Had a steroid shot that maybe helped some (ultimately had foot surgery after that trip). Then at the "end", I went back south to pick up a lot of miles I had had to skip in California due to fire closures. Again, unanticipated transportation and related costs.

One other point about the idea of staying out of towns and not spending much money there and that relates to the whole issue of food, caloric intake. It's my sense that the typical thru-hiker loses weight on a typical trail day. Not all do, but I think most do (I do) burn more calories in a day of thru-hiking than they make up for in food they carry on their backs. The two ways that I've seen folks compensate (and I do both) is to (a) start the trail somewhat overweight and burn through that for some weeks (or even months ...), and (b) eat a lot in towns. I think there could be a valid concern that a person that's too focused on sticking to their budget might not get all the compensating calories as might be needed from town stops. Note that I do agreee that the AT is rich in opportunities for this, so a person doesn't need to stop at every opportunity. And that this can certainly be done on a budget too by eating mostly stuff out of supermarkets (or whatever stores are available), but practically speaking I think that pigging out in towns is going to increase overall costs somewhat. And in fact, that it should do so.

BAMAFAN
08-18-2010, 10:43
So basically everyone here is saying that in order to successfully complete the trail, you have to party the whole way??

WoW!! 700$ for transportation?? Thats steep. It cost be a total of $200 for my section hike.. And I live in Texas..

Im planning on $2500 for my thru. I love the way the one poster stated that going to cheap is bumming your way.. Life dosnt have to be expensive if you dont want it to be. Also, I no longer drink. So that takes out beer too.. Hotels?? Id rather sleep in a shelter. I have had more fleas and roaches from hotels then I can stand..

$7000 for a thru?? Thats outrageous!! BUt then, if you cant live without the "luxuries of life", well.......There are ways to make a hike cheaper then paying top dollar on a hike..Just depends how you want to hike. My $7.00 drystar shirt I bought from Walmart works just as good as a Pantagonia shirt that cost 5 times as much. And Ive had it for 4 years.. Weighs nothing...You folks are way too expensive...Have fun!!

I think $2,500 is a good amount. I'm going with $3,000. From what these other posts say, you can't make it on that budget. LOL!! I guess everybody forgot the true meaning of hiking. Guess they have never heard of the great outdoors. Good luck to ya on your thru-hike.

Skyline
08-18-2010, 11:02
I think $2,500 is a good amount. I'm going with $3,000. From what these other posts say, you can't make it on that budget. LOL!! I guess everybody forgot the true meaning of hiking. Guess they have never heard of the great outdoors. Good luck to ya on your thru-hike.

You could give it your best shot. A few (very few) can do what you're talking about. So it's not impossible, just rare.

Weathercarrot has a good article on this site about doing a frugal thru-hike (he's ultra-expereienced and has done it). You might want to read it before making a final decision.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2010, 11:24
I guess everybody forgot the true meaning of hiking.

what exactly is the true meaning of hiking? :-?

Gray Blazer
08-18-2010, 11:26

BAMAFAN
08-18-2010, 12:40

Guess no true meaning, only what you think it is. Everybody has different opinions. To me it's about getting away from everything. It's about changing my everyday lifestyle. Just experiencing the Great Outdoors and Nature at it's finest.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2010, 12:42
To me it's about getting away from everything. Just experiencing the Great Outdoors and Nature at it's finest.

the AT ain't the place for it really. lotsa roads and people every day

Luddite
08-18-2010, 12:58

It might not be nature at its finest but its all we have left in the eastern united states.

garlic08
08-18-2010, 13:15
...WoW!! 700$ for transportation?? Thats steep. It cost be a total of $200 for my section hike.. And I live in Texas..

The costs of getting back to Texas from Baxter State Park, especially at premium rates with no advance reservation, might surprise you a little. Bus to Portland, train to Boston/New York, plane to ?, bus/shuttle home.... The hike ain't over when you climb the big guy. Don't forget the initial costs of getting to Atlanta and then to Amicalola SP. Don't forget lodging and food each way. Those $50 shuttles and motels and bus tickets all add up. (For me, the days of hitchhiking on the open road or sleeping on bus station chairs are gone, so travel now costs some money.)

As Gadget says, it's best to budget, or at least have some contingency funds, for emergencies. Don't count on a continuous hike and staying healthy (and your loved ones staying healthy) the whole way. I also agree with what he says about a thru hike being a little different than a series of section hikes. It's rare you need new shoes, or need to go home for a family illness, wedding (pretty common on the AT), or death, during a section hike.

I'm glad Weathercarrot's article got mentioned--that has some real day-to-day tips for saving money.

BAMAFAN
08-18-2010, 13:22
I know there is gonna be roads and people that you have to come in contact with. I may not have thru-hiked it yet, but I think I know a little bit about the trail. I grew up on land that borders the AT. I think there is fewer roads than woods.

sevensixtwo187
08-18-2010, 13:30
OK. I am going to jump in here with a question that has burned in my heart for some time. :confused: It is just a bit off topic but ... how does anyone find the time to do a thru hike? I mean I know I couldn't take 4-7 months off from my job let alone still be able to spend the $$$ required. I guess I can see how younger folks, especially those fresh out of school, can do it. But how does everyone else? Seriously ... been very curious about that. :-?

IrishMonk
08-18-2010, 13:31
Apparently it can be done for way less than 2,000... as the person in this article did it with 1,100 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959...

The bottom line is do you want to hike or hang out in towns every chance you get and spend money. Ofcourse, I have never done it... but that's just my thoughts based on what everyone is saying here, aswell as the above article.

peace...

Danielsen
08-18-2010, 16:28
It might not be nature at its finest but its all we have left in the eastern united states.

You need to spend a little more time in the 'Dacks or northern Maine. ;)

The costs of getting back to Texas from Baxter State Park, especially at premium rates with no advance reservation, might surprise you a little. Bus to Portland, train to Boston/New York, plane to ?, bus/shuttle home.... The hike ain't over when you climb the big guy. Don't forget the initial costs of getting to Atlanta and then to Amicalola SP. Don't forget lodging and food each way. Those $50 shuttles and motels and bus tickets all add up. (For me, the days of hitchhiking on the open road or sleeping on bus station chairs are gone, so travel now costs some money.)

A big help is having close friends and family in both Bangor and Atlanta. Social networking raises some possibilities.

jersey joe
08-18-2010, 16:40
OK. I am going to jump in here with a question that has burned in my heart for some time. :confused: It is just a bit off topic but ... how does anyone find the time to do a thru hike? I mean I know I couldn't take 4-7 months off from my job let alone still be able to spend the $$$ required. I guess I can see how younger folks, especially those fresh out of school, can do it. But how does everyone else? Seriously ... been very curious about that. :-?
It is a choice one has to make. You choose to work over going on a hike or you choose to hike over working. I do understand how being part of society does force us to become materialistic to a point, owning cars, houses and whatnot and then we are forced to work to maintain this lifestyle. Also, having dependents adds another layer of complexity. Most people out there are in a transition point in their life without the responsibilities of a family and bills. When I was able to thru hike, I was single and just got laid off from my job, was able to end my month to month apt. lease and had not real bills to speak of. The only money REQUIRED on a thru hike is for food.

kayak karl
08-18-2010, 17:02
everybody forgot the true meaning of hiking
everybody?????????

10-K
08-18-2010, 17:05

This is so true.

I don't know why some folks think they're going to play Jerimiaih Johnson on the AT....

I think I heard traffic at some point almost every day from NJ to VT....

Lostone
08-18-2010, 17:41
Materialism????? what ever you need to justify it I guess

It is called responsibility.

A wife and 2 kids will change your priorities.

I don't have the luxury of owning a business or having a 6 figure income. I am not going to make up a story to get sponsors or make up a charity to do it.

I will section hike with the family.

ChinMusic
08-18-2010, 17:48

Retirement.

BAMAFAN
08-18-2010, 17:52
everybody?????????

Maybe just some people.:-?

kayak karl
08-18-2010, 18:17
Maybe just some people.:-?
the trail means different things to different people. for some it just a path between friend:)

BrianLe
08-18-2010, 18:37
Garlic said:

"It's rare you need new shoes, or need to go home for a family illness, wedding (pretty common on the AT), or death, during a section hike."

Interesting in that there seem to be some common themes I found in thru-hiking. One was just that about weddings --- pretty common not just on the AT. If I heard that a person was off trail or getting off trail for a while, I felt like the odds would be quite high if I guessed "close friend or relative getting married?" that I'd get it right. It's one of the things that does take people off trail, when someone sufficiently close to you is tying the knot and you feel you just have to be there.

Maybe this belongs in a different thread, but there are some other things that I found a bit surprising as to how easy it was to form consensus on (I'm sure there would be dissension in an on-line venue though ...). For example, ask a random group of thru-hikers which meal of the day they most like to eat in town and I found it surprising how often the answer was "breakfast". Me included. I suspect that the mix of things in a restaurant breakfast matches very well to what our bodies are craving, dunno for sure though. Of course, all bets are off if an alternative to breakfast is any sort of (decent) AYCE offering ...

turtle fast
08-18-2010, 18:45
How about......selling your furniture and donating most of your stuff.....selling your house....and quitting your career to hike. My wife and I DID IT! People called us crazy, relatives thought we won the lotto or were bonkers. We had secure careers and were both quickly climbing the corporate ladder...we surely would of been vice presidents of our companies. One thing, we got sick after several years of being married to our jobs...we said no more and lets hike the AT.

garlic08
08-18-2010, 18:45
...I think I heard traffic at some point almost every day from NJ to VT....

And even lawn mowers and barking dogs.

I do remember getting into Vermont and realizing it was finally quiet for a day or two.

Danielsen
08-18-2010, 23:04
How about......selling your furniture and donating most of your stuff.....selling your house....and quitting your career to hike. My wife and I DID IT! People called us crazy, relatives thought we won the lotto or were bonkers. We had secure careers and were both quickly climbing the corporate ladder...we surely would of been vice presidents of our companies. One thing, we got sick after several years of being married to our jobs...we said no more and lets hike the AT.

That's a nicely inspiring tidbit. What do you two do now?

Regarding dissapointment at finding the AT not nearly as remote as expected: I canoed the allegheny river with a friend about 50 miles south from Kinzua reservoir a few years ago, camping on some wilderness islands along the way. Both of us were a bit disappointed to find that there were roads, industry, lawnmowers and barking dogs beside us almost the whole trip. But after a while you get used to it and start noticing the interesting things about people and the way they do things. Observing human habitat becomes similar to observing an anthill or the way the forest grows or the mountains rise and fall. It's easier to slip into that mindset when you're traveling in an unfamiliar culture (like the andes) but once you do, inhabited areas can be just as interesting as remote areas. The noise of a distant car on a road is just a sign that some human animal somewhere is doing something that nature has given his society the capability to do, just like it gave that bird overhead the ability to fly.

Hiking doesn't have to be about getting away. It can be about displacing you from your usual context so that you can see things better for what they really are.

mtnkngxt
08-19-2010, 08:54
If you don't drink or smoke it can be a lot less expensive.

I'd like to know what the average thru hiker spends on booze during their hike, and then what those that smoke or dip spend on tobacco during their trip.

I'm planning on 3-4k for my Damascus to Katahdin hike this coming spring.

BAMAFAN
08-19-2010, 09:09
That's a nicely inspiring tidbit. What do you two do now?

Regarding dissapointment at finding the AT not nearly as remote as expected: I canoed the allegheny river with a friend about 50 miles south from Kinzua reservoir a few years ago, camping on some wilderness islands along the way. Both of us were a bit disappointed to find that there were roads, industry, lawnmowers and barking dogs beside us almost the whole trip. But after a while you get used to it and start noticing the interesting things about people and the way they do things. Observing human habitat becomes similar to observing an anthill or the way the forest grows or the mountains rise and fall. It's easier to slip into that mindset when you're traveling in an unfamiliar culture (like the andes) but once you do, inhabited areas can be just as interesting as remote areas. The noise of a distant car on a road is just a sign that some human animal somewhere is doing something that nature has given his society the capability to do, just like it gave that bird overhead the ability to fly.

Hiking doesn't have to be about getting away. It can be about displacing you from your usual context so that you can see things better for what they really are.

Very True. Never looked at it that way.

sevensixtwo187
08-19-2010, 13:18
It is a choice one has to make. You choose to work over going on a hike or you choose to hike over working. I do understand how being part of society does force us to become materialistic to a point, owning cars, houses and whatnot and then we are forced to work to maintain this lifestyle. Also, having dependents adds another layer of complexity. Most people out there are in a transition point in their life without the responsibilities of a family and bills. When I was able to thru hike, I was single and just got laid off from my job, was able to end my month to month apt. lease and had not real bills to speak of. The only money REQUIRED on a thru hike is for food.

Well, I certainly would agree that it is a choice. However, I do take exception to the "materialistic" statement. I am not very materialistic at all. I AM about providing a good & comfortable life for my wife and children who are my responsibilities and doing so without expecting anyone else to assist me.

I asked the question that I asked out of pure and honest curiosity. Not to be the target of innuendos about materialism and how it might be a good idea to sell all of ones possessions and live off the land. Geez ... :rolleyes:

Old Hiker
08-19-2010, 14:09

37 if you blue blaze. :rolleyes:

jersey joe
08-19-2010, 16:31
Well, I certainly would agree that it is a choice. However, I do take exception to the "materialistic" statement. I am not very materialistic at all. I AM about providing a good & comfortable life for my wife and children who are my responsibilities and doing so without expecting anyone else to assist me.

I asked the question that I asked out of pure and honest curiosity. Not to be the target of innuendos about materialism and how it might be a good idea to sell all of ones possessions and live off the land. Geez ... :rolleyes:
I did not mean my comments as a slight to you. I was just trying to say that we all at some point need to live in society, raise families, etc. Buying a house and car and other stuff is all part of that.

I am much further away from being able to thru hike the trail today than I was a few years ago...I got married, had a kid, bought a house, etc. Having material goods that I need to work to pay for is part of that. Having a family is another part of that.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2010, 20:27
bottom line, an end to end thru-hike is not about "finding" oneself. it's a marathon. daily planning. all about the destination. never about just "being" on the trail. my observation

TD55
08-19-2010, 23:09
Twenty years from now folks hiking the AT today will say "I remember the trail when..."

sevensixtwo187
08-23-2010, 13:13
I did not mean my comments as a slight to you. I was just trying to say that we all at some point need to live in society, raise families, etc. Buying a house and car and other stuff is all part of that.

I am much further away from being able to thru hike the trail today than I was a few years ago...I got married, had a kid, bought a house, etc. Having material goods that I need to work to pay for is part of that. Having a family is another part of that.

No problem. I probably overreacted just a bit. You hit the nail on the head with this last reply. I have children, wife, bills. Would love to leave work for 6-7 months but could never do it. At least not now. I was just curious how others manage. I sure wish I could ....

tdoczi
08-23-2010, 14:54
No problem. I probably overreacted just a bit. You hit the nail on the head with this last reply. I have children, wife, bills. Would love to leave work for 6-7 months but could never do it. At least not now. I was just curious how others manage. I sure wish I could ....

i think the point is they either do it before or after those responsibilities kick in or they have chosen to not take on the responsibilities because theyd rather do stuff like hike the AT than raise a family. that seemed to be what was implied but not explicitly said, that the responsibilities that would keep people from undertaking something like a thru hike are a choice, and some people just don't have them.

GalHikingTheGap
08-23-2010, 17:50
I got a car and job right out of school, paying off my credit card, loans. If I had known I wanted to thru-hike I would have SoBo-ed that year, but then I wouldn't have my job. Ah well. My SO knows that he plays second fiddle to the A.T., and non-negotiable I want to thru before I end up in delicate condition. Due to logistics, I might end up married before I thru. I'd like to have $9,000 saved up to cover the hike, transport, and bills whilst away.

ChinMusic
08-23-2010, 18:12
..... whilst away.
You been reading Tintin's journal..........:D

RGB
08-24-2010, 03:55
bottom line, an end to end thru-hike is not about "finding" oneself. it's a marathon. daily planning. all about the destination. never about just "being" on the trail. my observation

Looks like your hiking got in the way of your trail experience. One of the best set of words on Kincora's walls.

Graywolf
08-24-2010, 07:05

As Gadget says, it's best to budget, or at least have some contingency funds, for emergencies. Don't count on a continuous hike and staying healthy (and your loved ones staying healthy) the whole way. I also agree with what he says about a thru hike being a little different than a series of section hikes. It's rare you need new shoes, or need to go home for a family illness, wedding (pretty common on the AT), or death, during a section hike.

I'm glad Weathercarrot's article got mentioned--that has some real day-to-day tips for saving money.

The cost of me getting back to Texas on Greyhound comes to $190. Yes, I know the cost of getting from Gainesville to Springer, $50. The cost of getting to Cherokee, N.C from New Found Gap, about $4 bucks. etc, etc, yes, Im going into Cherokee for resuplly instead of Gatlynburg. I have done my research.. No fears here. And yes, I have more then $2500, thats just what I am budgeting. I dont live inside the box like some folks here. I live outside the box.. I also gave up pizzas years ago. I also do not drink. If you think drinking is essential to hiking the trail, well, HYOH!! I just know how to budget and dont need all thos luxuries like manicures, caviar, lobster dinners, etc etc.. I am out there to hike and experiance the trail.. I dont think it cost $300 bucks to cross a state line..But then, thats just me..

Hike On!!

jtbradyl
08-24-2010, 18:22
All you need is rice and tea. At the most $300 for a thru hike. + a pair of shoes but you can bring an extra. On the other hand this is not like trekking the wilderness and for most it's a vacation so why not spend the bucks for comfort. It improves your mood and enables one to better enjoy the great outdoors. Years ago when people found themselves in the woods they were lost. If anyone wants to go the "poor" route limit the trip to one or two weeks.

Megapixel
08-24-2010, 21:19
All you need is rice and tea. At the most $300 for a thru hike. + a pair of shoes but you can bring an extra. On the other hand this is not like trekking the wilderness and for most it's a vacation so why not spend the bucks for comfort. It improves your mood and enables one to better enjoy the great outdoors. Years ago when people found themselves in the woods they were lost. If anyone wants to go the "poor" route limit the trip to one or two weeks.

John Muir, rice and tea. True.

DapperD
08-24-2010, 22:58
All you need is rice and tea.If possible, some beans would also be nice:D

Trailbender
08-25-2010, 16:06

Well, eat nothing but rice and you will start suffering malnutrition, as well as being hungry as hell all the time. You need a balanced diet, especially when doing something as physically demanding as a thru. And yes, meat is part of that, despite what vegans will tell you. To each their own as far as diets go, but veganism is pretty much a hobby for rich college kids. Poor people don't really have a choice of what to eat.

10-K
08-25-2010, 16:17
If possible, some beans would also be nice:D

I was at Sam's Club the other day and man.... you can get more rice than you can carry for $20.....

Bare Bear
08-27-2010, 15:17
My last AT trip cost me $20 a day

chicote
08-27-2010, 15:49
3K should be plenty comfortable. My wife and I set a budget of 6k spent about 5K. Drank some beers, stayed in motels, hotels and hostels - longest stretch of zeros was 3 with family. But really only had 7 total zeros - a decent amount of neros.

If I were to do it over I'd budget more for food in town and on the trail. I lost too much weight just a tad more than 50 pounds - final weight in the 140's and I'm 6'2". BJ's Ice Cream has tons of calories! Pizza has all the good food groups and Burgers have that essential protein!

Good luck.

Oh and about finding time to hike the trial. Wife and I also quit our jobs and went for it. Totally worth it.

Happy Trails.

Torch09
09-19-2010, 07:14
I think my hike is a good example of what NOT to do. The very modest $900 i had budgeted for my trip lasted only 3 months, which was surprising, considering how many zeros i took (i believe about 40 in 6 months). After i ran out of cash (yes, i was carrying 900 bucks with me from Springer) my mother was gracious enough to fund the rest of my hike. Next year when i hike again, i'm planning on having a minimum of $3000 available (not all with me;)

4eyedbuzzard
09-19-2010, 08:30

"champagne wishes and caviar dreams . . ."
Now, that's my kind of hiker. Lobster, caviar, and Chivas by the campfire. Limo to the hostel. A sherpa for the uphills. A hiker can dream, can't he?

JAK
09-19-2010, 12:41
most who plan like this don't make it past damascusWhich makes it even cheaper.

Dogwood
09-20-2010, 18:43
Here we go again! I did it on $1000. No you can't! I did it on $500. No you can't! Yes you can. I did! I spent $6000. That's too much. What if I don't ever take a shower, do laundry, make a ph call, stay in a hotel room, or buy pizza or beer? What if I stiff every hostel and eat only from hiker boxes? What if my shoes never wear out? What if I have all my gear? Blah Blah Blah!

Whatever Lone Wolf said! Yeah that's right about $4000. But what if, if, if....

Sorry I've just gone around in circles seeing this topic covered to death!!!

Pedaling Fool
09-20-2010, 19:14
...Would love to leave work for 6-7 months but could never do it. At least not now. I was just curious how others manage. I sure wish I could ....
A lot of them in your age group are retired military.

To me it's about getting away from everything. It's about changing my everyday lifestyle. Just experiencing the Great Outdoors and Nature at it's finest.
The "Great Outdoors and Nature" gets old real quick. Not to mention that real nature is tough to live in. That's why so many can hike the AT, because it's so close to civilization. It's easy to get away from civilization, but no one does, they only talk about it.

You could easily hike for less than the average cost. Just stay away from hotels, hostels, beer... Only make town visits for essential supplies and keep moving, take zeros in the woods -- in your tent. You would save tons of money, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

JAK
09-20-2010, 21:26
I can't remember the last time I went a week without fast food, and I'm supposed to be a cheapskate. Trying to go week without eating out, or beer out, or movies out, great way to test your willpower and save up for a hiking, but easier said than done. Even if you allow yourself steak and beer and other good food, as long as your spending is limited to grocery stores and beer stores, still not easy. Easier if you are training for something, and eating well, but still not easy. Talk, now that is cheap. :)

Danielsen
09-20-2010, 21:36
I can't remember the last time I went a week without fast food, and I'm supposed to be a cheapskate. Trying to go week without eating out, or beer out, or movies out, great way to test your willpower and save up for a hiking, but easier said than done. Even if you allow yourself steak and beer and other good food, as long as your spending is limited to grocery stores and beer stores, still not easy. Easier if you are training for something, and eating well, but still not easy. Talk, now that is cheap. :)

Maybe I'm weird but I go most weeks without eating out, drinking any beer, or watching any movies. This may be because I am addicted to cooking delicious food, however, which will probably be my main issue on the trail. :D Then again, I keep losing ounces off my baseweight by surprise...now that I've got it under 5 pounds maybe I'll allow a bit more food-related weight. :banana

Food will undoubtedly be my main expenditure on the trail. Food and my recent gear updates are really the only things I spend money on even now.

sarah1021
10-17-2010, 18:16
I went on the cheap- spent roughly $1,300. My thru-hike was 107 days (still have 92miles left to finish)

Biggest expenses were FOOD, (~$8-10/day?) My mother sent me aprox 1/4 the food I ate on the trail, basically the money i didn't have to spend on those groceries I spent on town food to keep my wt up

Other major expenses: Laundry/showers (~5/town stop) and meals in town ($? I didn't spend much, but i lost too much wt and had to buy town food like pizza + ben&Jerry's to keep going.)

I did NOT live off of ramen +pb, but ate granola w/dried milk, cliff bars, quackr oats granola bars, trail mix/peanut m&ms, jars of nutella/pb, ramen for an emergency hot meal (didn't eat it often, but carried an xtra one always) and lipton sides/potato flakes/couscous for dinner.

Big EXPENSES i did NOT spend:
Beer!
Hostels (I stayed maybe 5 times? usually did work-for-stay. but there are many!)
hotels (never)
days off (I had 6-7, but basically I'm saying my thru-hike didn't linger in town)
more town food (often bought stuff at grocery store instead of restaurants)

BUT keep in mind like someone already said that if you try to go on the cheap you will miss out on many social things, and will seem like you are begging or bringing the group down. I was lucky in that I went somewhat off season, so had more of a solitary experience than a social one. (5/19-8/13 getting bak out on wkend hikes same yr to finish most of the other miles) I had some free $ and would on occation join in, so I wasn't freeloading. I was just cautious as to how often/what I joined in on.

I'd recommend about $2,500 for a reasonably comfortable but not grandiose thru-hike. I do hear that many leave the trail b/c they run out of $, so budget! or buy your food ahead of time, since that's really all you *need* to keep on the trail

Have fun!

Fats
10-19-2010, 14:51
I went on the cheap- spent roughly $1,300. My thru-hike was 107 days (still have 92miles left to finish)

Biggest expenses were FOOD, (~$8-10/day?) My mother sent me aprox 1/4 the food I ate on the trail, basically the money i didn't have to spend on those groceries I spent on town food to keep my wt up

Other major expenses: Laundry/showers (~5/town stop) and meals in town ($? I didn't spend much, but i lost too much wt and had to buy town food like pizza + ben&Jerry's to keep going.)

I did NOT live off of ramen +pb, but ate granola w/dried milk, cliff bars, quackr oats granola bars, trail mix/peanut m&ms, jars of nutella/pb, ramen for an emergency hot meal (didn't eat it often, but carried an xtra one always) and lipton sides/potato flakes/couscous for dinner.

Big EXPENSES i did NOT spend:
Beer!
Hostels (I stayed maybe 5 times? usually did work-for-stay. but there are many!)
hotels (never)
days off (I had 6-7, but basically I'm saying my thru-hike didn't linger in town)
more town food (often bought stuff at grocery store instead of restaurants)

BUT keep in mind like someone already said that if you try to go on the cheap you will miss out on many social things, and will seem like you are begging or bringing the group down. I was lucky in that I went somewhat off season, so had more of a solitary experience than a social one. (5/19-8/13 getting bak out on wkend hikes same yr to finish most of the other miles) I had some free $ and would on occation join in, so I wasn't freeloading. I was just cautious as to how often/what I joined in on.

I'd recommend about $2,500 for a reasonably comfortable but not grandiose thru-hike. I do hear that many leave the trail b/c they run out of $, so budget! or buy your food ahead of time, since that's really all you *need* to keep on the trail

Have fun!

Thank you, some of the others were scaring me a bit.
I don't drink, and part of my AT is going to be to "unplug" for a bit. I am not comfortable in social gatherings, and I plan on using that to my advantage.
I'm hoping to have around 4k in accessible funds, and plan on spending 2k of that on the thru.

Some things do come up, and we need to plan for that. My plan is to have a strong network of friends that will not cost as much if I need emergency help.

I also am extremely strong willed, and I can set my mind to a goal, and stick to it. I firmly believe I can do a thru on 2k, but I cannot control emergencies.

It does seem from reading various posts on here that some priorities are out of whack a bit.

But to each their own. I'll keep you all updated on how much I am able to get away with, to help myself out everything left from my goal is going into an established scholarship fund. Perhaps a few of you (20k dude) should look into what real happiness is. :-?

Fats

DBRIGGS9
10-19-2010, 15:18
Thank you, some of the others were scaring me a bit.
I don't drink, and part of my AT is going to be to "unplug" for a bit. I am not comfortable in social gatherings, and I plan on using that to my advantage.
I'm hoping to have around 4k in accessible funds, and plan on spending 2k of that on the thru.

Some things do come up, and we need to plan for that. My plan is to have a strong network of friends that will not cost as much if I need emergency help.

I also am extremely strong willed, and I can set my mind to a goal, and stick to it. I firmly believe I can do a thru on 2k, but I cannot control emergencies.

It does seem from reading various posts on here that some priorities are out of whack a bit.

But to each their own. I'll keep you all updated on how much I am able to get away with, to help myself out everything left from my goal is going into an established scholarship fund. Perhaps a few of you (20k dude) should look into what real happiness is. :-?

Fats

While I agree that spending more than $5,000 on a thru hike seems kind of ridiculous, I've also yet to attempt one. However, I'm pretty sure that "real happiness" is subjective.

Miner
10-19-2010, 16:50
For me, after being out on the PCT for several weeks, reality turned out different from my pre-hike planning as I found myself spending more then I expected. I started to really look foward to going to town inorder to eat "real" food. I didn't care that much about drinking or a real bed (though that was nice). But eating cooked food that wasn't Lipton became a real driving force. I had given up soda and junk food years ago as part of living healthier and to loose and keep extra weight off as I use to be 60lbs heavier. But on the trail, I started to strongly crave soda and the other junk food. I didn't drink alcohol that much as staying hydrated on the PCT often took work and beer seems counter conductive to that effort. But the lure of soda and "real" food caused me to more then once to get off the trail at a place that I had no need of a resupply at just to have a meal and get snacks. Those moments where costly but made my hike more enjoyable; not that I wasn't enjoying the hike. And occasionally was the cure I needed after having a bad trail day (didn't have many but it would be hard not to have a few over several months).

There were also times that my body felt beat up or injured and I took time off in town to heal up as insurance against making the problem worse and having to get off the trail for good due to injury. I hiked stronger as a result without a lot of trail pain. Sure I could have taken some zeros outside of town instead, but the lure of eating town food was too strong and it was nice being clean and hanging out with trail friends.

You can do town cheap if you work at it, but I would have hated to be held to a really tight budget where I would have had to skip some towns entirely. The problem I'm discovering with my AT planning over my PCT experience is you have far more opportunites to go to town each week and this starts to get expensive if you aren't disciplined or you are hiking with "friends" that you want to keep who aren't.

So be careful if you start to get attached to a group or you may find your wallet being emptied by their different trail lifestyle since you'll want to participate to feel part of the group. There are some people who seem to spend more time in town spending money then hiking and those are often the ones that run out of money before finishing. Finding hikers with a similar expectation of expensives and town stops can help with the temptation.

Now some real life trail stories: I met a guy on the PCT who had only $250 to spend on trail extras since all his food was mailed from home (I know this is far more extreme then most). He had spent almost all before we got 500miles. He didn't look happy when the rest of us went to town or were talking about what we were going to eat. I think this was his biggest reason for getting off latter as it seemed to cut the enjoyment of his hike some. If we all were hiking the same way as him, I think he would have been happier. Then there was the guy who loved to drink it up in town after he got his monthly trail allowance. He was resorting to hiker boxes and dumpster diving to supply latter the month since he often spent too much at the bar. This method of getting his money monthly though insured that if he could survive the month, he'd have more money coming the next month and kept hime from blowing all his trail budget in the first month. He actually made it 80% of the way before an injury took him off.

StormBird
10-19-2010, 16:53
4K - 5K. Believe me, I didn't spend much money at all and it still costs that much. Stay out of town, namely restaurants, to save money.

It's possible to hike the trail for much less, but you'll regret not having the funds at hand.

Happy trails and good luck on your journey!

kayak karl
10-19-2010, 17:46
While I agree that spending more than $5,000 on a thru hike seems kind of ridiculous,

its only ridiculous if you don't have $5000:D

garlic08
10-19-2010, 18:21
...I'm hoping to have around 4k in accessible funds, and plan on spending 2k of that on the thru....

You'll do just fine with that. Having the extra contingency money might make the difference between a successful hike or not. Hopefully you won't need it.

Heck, I was over 50 when I hiked, had a credit card, didn't start with a budget, was willing to spend whatever it took, enjoyed hotel rooms a few times a month, ate a lot in towns, and I still hiked for under $3,500 including gear worn out and transportation.

The only way I can see to spend over $5K is to hike slowly (six month pace or longer), spend a lot of time in towns, lots of zero days, lots of expensive shuttling and slackpacking, lots of $4 microbrews, maybe travel home for breaks or whatever reason.

If you stay on trail, make steady sustainable progress every day (and don't hurt yourself), and are more interested in hiking than anything else, it's not an expensive trip.

Speakeasy TN
10-19-2010, 20:32
You'll do just fine with that. Having the extra contingency money might make the difference between a successful hike or not. Hopefully you won't need it.

Heck, I was over 50 when I hiked, had a credit card, didn't start with a budget, was willing to spend whatever it took, enjoyed hotel rooms a few times a month, ate a lot in towns, and I still hiked for under $3,500 including gear worn out and transportation.

The only way I can see to spend over $5K is to hike slowly (six month pace or longer), spend a lot of time in towns, lots of zero days, lots of expensive shuttling and slackpacking, lots of $4 microbrews, maybe travel home for breaks or whatever reason.

If you stay on trail, make steady sustainable progress every day (and don't hurt yourself), and are more interested in hiking than anything else, it's not an expensive trip.

This is the whole thing in a nutshell! I'll have 6-7k in the bank. No way is it going to all go to the hike BUT what it will do is let me spend 2500-3000 on the trip, not sweat $150 for a new pair of shoes and still be good to go if the wife has car issues while I'm gone.
The only way to ruin this experience as far as I can tell, would be to go to sleep every night thinking "what if, what if?" I'm not out to just see if I can endure the Trail, I'm going to ENJOY this dream.

NCcummins
10-26-2010, 13:22
I'm right there will you. I'll have close to $7,000 or a little more from the funds of selling both my street bikes to hike this trail. I would MUCH rather have a little more then a little less. If I have funds left over after the hike, GREAT! If not, then I know my budget was right on. Most of my current gear that I used for week hikes or even day hikes was worn out, so I replaced everything with new items (pack, tent, boots, and so on). Thankfully my father has the ability to direct deposit into my account if for SOME reason I do need more money, however, I hope not!

Good luck to everyone, I think whatever budget you have set for yourself, you and utilize as long as you keep in mind what you have left to spend as you resupply.

-Chris