PDA

View Full Version : 5 scientists hike for 7 days, no electronics

John B
08-16-2010, 09:17
They go hiking and give up their cellphones, PDAs, etc. for one entire week to study the effects on the brain. Oh, the humanity...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/technology/16brain.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

Spokes
08-16-2010, 11:00
Sounds like a couple good trailnames came out of that group. ...... "The Believer" and "The Skeptic".

Crotalus
08-16-2010, 11:26
its a mixed bag for me, I love my iPhone and love being "connected" but there are times when I am thrilled to look at the display and see "No Service"

ExosC3
08-16-2010, 12:45
its not easy, nor really all that realistic. in this day and age its very hard to go without electronics...in the woods, its much easier.

that said, i saw about 6 thru hikers last week and they all had cell phones...one guy actually had his out every time i passed by him....

SMSP
08-16-2010, 13:27
They are thinking about a seminal study from the University of Michigan (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_michigan/index.html?inline=nyt-org) that showed people can better learn after walking in the woods than after walking a busy street.

Man, if I only knew that in college!
Mr. Strayer, the trip leader, argues that nature can refresh the brain. “Our senses change. They kind of recalibrate — you notice sounds, like these crickets chirping; you hear the river, the sounds, the smells, you become more connected to the physical environment, the earth, rather than the artificial environment.”
“That’s why they call it vacation. It’s restorative,” Mr. Braver says.
Something that John Muir and the other pioneers of our nations National Parks realized a long time ago
Mr. Kramer says he wants to look at whether the benefits to the brain — the clearer thoughts, for example — come from the experience of being in nature, the exertion of hiking and rafting, or a combination.

Sounds like justification for more outdoor trips!

Wise Old Owl
08-16-2010, 13:33
I thought this was the Humor Section again .... Like how many scientists do you need to move dirt in the woods?

weary
08-16-2010, 13:56
I thought this was the Humor Section again .... Like how many scientists do you need to move dirt in the woods?
Or how many scientists can sit on the head of a dirty pin.

TheChop
08-16-2010, 16:23
Sounds like someone had a brilliant idea to get their respective Universities to pay for a week camping trip. It seems far from scientific. If you were really studying this shouldn't you go longer than a week and have more diverse test subjects than just the researchers?

jmhouse
08-16-2010, 16:53
What I got from it was that this is just the beginning of their research. They came up with a lot of ideas about how to measure this and study it more. A lot of people on this site already know this stuff, but these guys like to see where in the brain it happens and how. So don't dismiss it so quick. There will be more research.

innermountain
08-16-2010, 18:58
That's very cool - in 2001 I went on a 4-month hike and came out on 9/11. The next week and half, where ever I went people were glued to televisions watching the news. It was a trip to go from total digital disconnect to intense dependence all around me. I felt that having been in the woods for 4 months, I was able to stay more grounded and, at the same time, more emtionally connected, with the whole 9/11 incident. I think there is a ton of more research to do in this direction.

Danielsen
08-16-2010, 22:06
Sounds like someone had a brilliant idea to get their respective Universities to pay for a week camping trip. It seems far from scientific. If you were really studying this shouldn't you go longer than a week and have more diverse test subjects than just the researchers?

Yeah, like a few attractive young women from the athletics department. :D

Egads
08-17-2010, 07:07
I'm calling b.s., this thread needs to be moved to hiking humor

Quercus
08-17-2010, 07:14
Cell phone: never had one, never will. And TV free since the mid/late '90s. Other than a coffee deficiency, which is soon to be rectified, my brain feels fine.

ExosC3
08-17-2010, 10:39
Cell phone: never had one, never will. And TV free since the mid/late '90s. Other than a coffee deficiency, which is soon to be rectified, my brain feels fine.
never say never man...in 10 yrs when land lines become obsolete how will you talk to the people in your life? do you not have a car either? hell, why wear clothes, the didnt do that thousands of years ago either...

sorry i just dont understand peoples resistance to cell phones or technology in general...people act like theyre so above all that "nonsense" meanwhile theyre just falling behind in society...sure a TV is a luxury and just full of commercials and stupid crap but PBS man, thats some cool stuff your missing..but the cell phone thing...i donno, get with the times

ExosC3
08-17-2010, 10:46
and besides, why are they even doing this experiment in the first place? if you took the probable average age of the scientists, its likley most of them lived 50% of their lives thus far WITHOUT electronics such as PDAs, cell phones and GPS...so just think back 10 years and theres the answer...oh look we all survived somehow.

geez do this expiriment in 50 yrs...take electronics away from someone who has never lived without them....heck my 2 yr old neice can use an iphone pretty well, now thats scary..

SMSP
08-17-2010, 10:57
I think I will volunteer as a subject for their next experiment!

SMSP

Tuckahoe
08-17-2010, 11:54
As I read the article and the purpose behind the trip, what I took away was that this was not about a particular experiement, but more along the lines of getting out of the office and networking. Sort of having an open discussion about the affects of technology on the brain. How does "connectedness" for example impact attention and attention spans. It is something worth studying.

There is nothing wrong with technology especially the modern ability to be connected. But there are certainly dangers and issues that come along with it. Personally I am not really a tech junkie and some of my friends will say that I am probably more of a luddite.

I dont have a land line and I only have a cell phone. Unless I travel out of town my phone remains on my night stand. I appreciate the ability to get in touch with someone easily especially in an emergency and this benefit was certainly illustrated with my dad's motorcycle accident.

I never made the digital switch, finding more and more much on TV was just stupid and only use my "outdated" TV to watch DVDs. The only thing that about technology that I do love is the internet, but it is to me nothing more than a library and a research hub.

Being able to watch a lot of people thoughout the day, what I have noticed is that what connectedness has brought is (and mentioned in the article) a feeling of urgency on the part of most folks. Every little thing turns into an urgent event. It took me a while to train a few friends that their feeling of urgency does not necessitate a crisis on my part... they can leave a message and I will probably get back to them later.

Yes, I will generally have my phone with me out hiking, but that doesnt mean that I have to answer it.

Bare Bear
08-18-2010, 11:47
I use my cell everyday in the city, and have no problem not using it for a week at a time in the woods. HYOH

Lone Wolf
08-18-2010, 12:14
i don't own a cell. never will

greenmtnboy
08-18-2010, 14:39
I was glad when I saw this thread. What is clear is that the explosion of gadgets is having a profound effect on the developing brains of the young, an almost drug-like effect. On others who have a need to connect via internet and other mediums these may be an invaluable social networking tool. Some of us can become addicted without knowing it to new forms of instantaneous communication. I am very surprized that there have been so few serious studies of this huge issue, with university conferances and summits.

I am reminded of what C.S. Lewis once said in Screwtape Letters, quoting from Aristotle:

"Let him do anything but act. No amount of piety in his imagination and affections will harm us if we can keep it out of his will. As one of the humans has said, active habits are strengthened by repetition but passive ones are weakened. The more often he feels without acting, the less he will be able ever to act, and, in the long run, the less he will be able to feel."

I am afraid that some of the new technologies are giving the illusion of action, while re-enforcing habits that are not helpful.

couscous
08-18-2010, 17:31
For their next experiment they should reduce their internet bandwidth back to the 300 baud we had 28 years ago for CompuServe forums and email. That should generate some interesting brain activity as they try to access today's forums, email, blogs, etc.

SMSP
08-18-2010, 17:51
For their next experiment they should reduce their internet bandwidth back to the 300 baud we had 28 years ago for CompuServe forums and email. That should generate some interesting brain activity as they try to access today's forums, email, blogs, etc.

That would definitely create Internet Rage and mass violence.
I remember having 300 baud and then thought I was bad ass at around age 13 when I got a 1200 baud modem.

SMSP

Danielsen
08-18-2010, 23:08
Sign of the times: What's a baud?

couscous
08-19-2010, 00:17
Baud was an old way of measuring data transmission speeds before bits per second. It actually measured how frequently sound changed on a phone line. Most people now enjoy 3,284kbs connection speeds .. roughly 11,000x faster than a 300baud modem.

Danielsen
08-19-2010, 06:32
Mmm, good old phone-line internet... I'm still old enough to have caught the tail-end of that. I say good riddance. :D

Marta
08-19-2010, 07:03
If you're into electronics, you'll need one of these:

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-****-that-doesnt,14309/

PS--If you're sensitive to foul language, don't click on this link!

Mags
08-19-2010, 09:08
Sign of the times: What's a baud?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtqz0bdq30Q

Then add in my Dad saying (Approx 15 seconds after picking up the phone) "JC Paul...are you on the friggin' phone again..GET OFF NOW".

..and this was my first modem:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/CommodoreVICModem.jpg/800px-CommodoreVICModem.jpg

(Why do I feel like saying "GET OFF MY LAWN"... :) )

SMSP
08-19-2010, 09:20
Mags - you must not throw anything away, or is there some sentimental value?

SMSP

Heater
08-19-2010, 09:41
Ah. Shell accounts. Pine. BBs.

Remember these?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2009/10/modem.jpg

Spokes
08-19-2010, 11:08
"5 scientists hike for 7 days, no electronics"

Sounds like a Far Side cartoon.

Graywolf
08-19-2010, 11:32
I for one do not watch TV except the occasional DVD I get from REI. I have a cell phone but rarley use it. I do have internet which is my info hub, I do not text. heck, I was even turned down on a date because I prefered ;istening to a REAL voice then texting..LOL..All and All,, We have be come way too dependant on technology..

I also must add, the big tech companies better not see this article. They will be looking for a way to ban ALL outdoor activities if they knew it takes away from their profits...

Give me the wilderness any time!!

grayfox
08-19-2010, 13:11
I was glad when I saw this thread. What is clear is that the explosion of gadgets is having a profound effect on the developing brains of the young, an almost drug-like effect. On others who have a need to connect via internet and other mediums these may be an invaluable social networking tool. Some of us can become addicted without knowing it to new forms of instantaneous communication. I am very surprized that there have been so few serious studies of this huge issue, with university conferances and summits.

I am reminded of what C.S. Lewis once said in Screwtape Letters, quoting from Aristotle:

"Let him do anything but act. No amount of piety in his imagination and affections will harm us if we can keep it out of his will. As one of the humans has said, active habits are strengthened by repetition but passive ones are weakened. The more often he feels without acting, the less he will be able ever to act, and, in the long run, the less he will be able to feel."

I am afraid that some of the new technologies are giving the illusion of action, while re-enforcing habits that are not helpful.

This quote really gets to the heart of the matter--thanks for posting it.

Have you read Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451? I heard they might remake the film, which stared the Austrian character actor Oskar Werner.I wonder if this time they will burn computers instead of books.

I have a friend who aways says, "Everything in moderation." for me a bit of hiking and a bit of web surfing balance very well.

Hikes in Rain
08-19-2010, 13:35
Baud was an old way of measuring data transmission speeds before bits per second. It actually measured how frequently sound changed on a phone line. Most people now enjoy 3,284kbs connection speeds .. roughly 11,000x faster than a 300baud modem.

Just from another perspective: I can read faster than the old 300 baud modems could spit letters on the screen! I could just keep up with the 1200 ones. Just imagine accessing this forum with something like that. Boggles the mind. :)

Danielsen
08-19-2010, 15:03
I suspect the page formatting would have to be just a *tad* simpler. ;)

Graywolf
08-19-2010, 16:54
This quote really gets to the heart of the matter--thanks for posting it.

Have you read Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451? I heard they might remake the film, which stared the Austrian character actor Oskar Werner.I wonder if this time they will burn computers instead of books.

I have a friend who aways says, "Everything in moderation." for me a bit of hiking and a bit of web surfing balance very well.

Farenheit 451 was a very good book. Always enjoyed Bradburys works..

Blue Jay
08-19-2010, 17:00
"5 scientists hike for 7 days, no electronics"

Sounds like a Far Side cartoon.

You know it really does, I can see the look of terror and desperation. Thank you for that one.:banana

Regulus
08-22-2010, 04:27
That's very cool - in 2001 I went on a 4-month hike and came out on 9/11. The next week and half, where ever I went people were glued to televisions watching the news. It was a trip to go from total digital disconnect to intense dependence all around me. I felt that having been in the woods for 4 months, I was able to stay more grounded and, at the same time, more emtionally connected, with the whole 9/11 incident. I think there is a ton of more research to do in this direction.

This is easily the most interesting thing I've read on these boards for awhile. Far more interesting than this "study".

If you aren't angry with the current state of our society and the world in general than there's something seriously wrong with you. Sorry, but it's true.

berkshirebirder
08-22-2010, 07:09
[To friends with instant messaging devices] Every little thing turns into an urgent event. --Tuckahoe

I think this is an important part of how it's possible to be "dumbed down" by constant contact with "news" or the minutiae of other people's lives.

A sense of urgency is created and used by other media, too--CNN runs BREAKING NEWS captions for yet another vehicle chase in California or another broken-down celebrity. Hear all about it...after the commercials.

John B
08-22-2010, 09:04
I think this is an important part of how it's possible to be "dumbed down" by constant contact with "news" or the minutiae of other people's lives.

A sense of urgency is created and used by other media, too--CNN runs BREAKING NEWS captions for yet another vehicle chase in California or another broken-down celebrity. Hear all about it...after the commercials.

To quote Elaine (Seinfeld), after hearing Jerry and George blabbing endlessly about getting a haircut or whatever, can't stand hearing "...the [I]excruciating minutiae of your vacuous lives..."
:banana

sbhikes
08-22-2010, 21:17
I used to work in a modem factory building modems like Mags' modem. I didn't even have a clue what a modem was but I stuffed circuit boards and ran them through a wave solder machine.

I did my PCT hikes alone and without electronics. I had a phone but didn't look at it until I got to town, and sometimes not even then. When I returned to civilization, I felt like my mind was crystal clear. I could see everything so plainly. All the lies, all the bias and most importantly, all the omissions. What they focus on in the news and in our culture as a whole, how they frame all discussions, what they leave out of the story, how smoothly they lie about everything. I'm still angry.

Yep, Regulus. You understand.

sir limpsalot
08-23-2010, 17:14
i don't own a cell. never will

wouldn't do you any good. you only get reception, like what, in 2 spots in the whole town when you stand on one leg with one hiking pole raised on a sunny day