PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

Sunshine Tami Jo
08-16-2010, 10:18
I'm looking at a pair of Kayland Contact 1000 Backpacking boots. Steep and Cheap has them 30% off today only so I need to make a quick decision. Has anyone tried these? Are they overkill? Also, with regard to the size to order, whether for this boot or any other shoe/boot I may purchase: I have read that feet swell (or perhaps ligaments tent to stretch) with extended hiking, resulting in feet getting bigger by about 1-1 1/2 sizes. Any truth to this in your experience? Should I order the size I usually wear, or go a little bigger?

Finally, socks. I have read some folks opinions that one should wear two pair of socks: first a lightweight, snug-fitting sock and over that a heavier wool pair. Theoretically, this eliminates the rubbing that can cause blistering, as all friction takes place between the layers of socks rather than between the layers of skin. Opinions? And if in agreement, what sock for the thin first layer?

Spokes
08-16-2010, 10:53
Not sure about the boots you mentioned but most thru's end up with a lightweight boot style like the Keen Targhee II's or simply trailrunners. Check on how much they weigh first. Also, waterproofing isn't all that important. Fit is.

As far as socks goes, the military did extensive research and found that the two main factors reducing friction blisters were socks made from acrylic fibers and a wicking CoolMax sock liner. Read more about it HERE (http://www.aapsm.org/socknov97.html) . I wouldn't wear two socks....... it's just overkill.

Remember the inside double loop construction of most quality hiking socks such as Darn Tough of Vermont or Bridgedale Endurance Trekker's also act as a "liner". Why spend money on a liner if you don't need them? Oh, and stay away from socks that have a generic "cushion-sole"!

Finally you can reduce your chances of getting blisters by toughening up your feet before the hike. About 2-3 weeks out from your hike soak your feet in a strong solution of tea for 15-20 minutes a day. Buy cheap family size tea bags from the Dollar Store and use 6 or so bags per gallon of water. The stronger the better. The tannins in the tea act as an astringent and toughen up them up. Don't laugh it's been well documented by podiatrists....... Shown HERE (http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291) in this Podiatry Today article under "Other Preventative Approaches".

Hope this helps!

El Jefe
08-16-2010, 20:13
+1 on the Darn Tough Vermont socks. They are wonderful and keep my feet dry.

Sunshine Tami Jo
08-16-2010, 21:33
Anyone tried Smartwool socks? Thoughts? Is a liner necessary or even helpful?

Danielsen
08-16-2010, 22:01
I regularly hike in some thinnish smartwools and they're great. My feet tend to get sweaty, but the smartwools keep the moisture pretty well controlled and I rarely even get hotspots (then again, my feet are the sort that only blister from running barefoot on rough pavement for a while... ymmv).

leaftye
08-16-2010, 22:07
Also, with regard to the size to order, whether for this boot or any other shoe/boot I may purchase: I have read that feet swell (or perhaps ligaments tent to stretch) with extended hiking, resulting in feet getting bigger by about 1-1 1/2 sizes. Any truth to this in your experience? Should I order the size I usually wear, or go a little bigger?

It really depends on what kind of shape your feet are in already. If you can, buy wider sizes if they're available, otherwise buy bigger sizes. Fwiw, I went up nearly 2 sizes.

Rick500
08-16-2010, 22:21
So far, I've tried Darntough, Lorpen, and Dahlgren light hiking socks, and I think I like Dahlgren and Lorpen best -- Dahlgren overall feels best I think, but Lorpen feels absolutely seamless; and Darntough was almost as good. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.

fredmugs
08-17-2010, 07:36
I used to blister horribly and had to cut one trip short due to blisters. I rarely blister now because I ditched the hiking boots in favor of trail runners or simply cross trainers, bought wide width footwear that gives me way more wiggle room, lace up my shoes very loosely at the bottom, and ditched the stupid sock liners and wool socks. The only socks I wear now are the cheap gray ones you get in a 6 pack from Wal Mart. I bring enough to change them out halway thru each days hike.

Think outside the boot.

jmhouse
08-18-2010, 15:35
Trail runners plus smartwools for me. My feet get incredibly hot even in cold weather and this seems to work out pretty well. No blisters so far. Even while wearing waterproof footwear with smartwools I didn't get any blisters.

Dogwood
08-18-2010, 18:40
I have not worn the Kaylands you mention. If you are looking for a mid cut hiking boot/shoe for hiking the AT, whether sectioning or thru-hiking, during typical thru-hiker season you can get hiking shoes that may not be as durable as the Contacts but will certainly be about $50 cheaper and WAY WAY lighter. IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE, especially if on a long hike!

Personally, I would recommend that you go with a lighter wt shoe for the AT. You just don't need that heavy wt or durable of a shoe or a shoe with that much protection for the AT during thru-hiker season. Overkill IMO.

YES YES YES your feet will swell, more specifically they will get bigger, and stay bigger, and quite posssibly change shape if you start hiking alot. Get shoes a size or 1/2 size larger. The further into your hike the larger your feet will become. I just hitched 140 miles from Yellowstone NP to a gear store in Bozeman MT because the shoes that I had shipped to me for hiking, and that previously fit right, were too small and narrow after I hiker 1200 miles on the CDT.

moon424
08-26-2010, 04:25
Does anyone recommend good hikingshoes for us? Thank you in advance.