PDA

View Full Version : Packs for short fat guys

Crotalus
08-16-2010, 11:00
Are there any packs designed for short fat guys.

Currently I am 250 and 5'10" with an ultimate goal of 200 lbs. I find that most packs don't feel right through the shoulders. Maybe i just have them adjusted incorrectly and need to talk to a few pros. Right now we just day hike, but i am looking into starting longer overnight trips carrying more weight so i want a pack that fits right and is comfortable.

Roche
08-16-2010, 23:42
Have you tried external frames? After 20 years of using internal frame packs I recently tried externals to rid myself of the "back sweat factor". I was surprized with the comfortable fit and truely adjustable frame capability. Like with boots, find something that fits you. And not everyone at a gear store is an expert. Kelty's instructions on fit are quite clear and using a large mirror helps too.

Crotalus
08-16-2010, 23:45
This probably should have been in the general gear for rather than the review forum, if a mod can delete or move it would be appreciated

Thanks
Joe

Bucherm
08-18-2010, 04:15
Are there any packs designed for short fat guys.

Currently I am 250 and 5'10" with an ultimate goal of 200 lbs. I find that most packs don't feel right through the shoulders. Maybe i just have them adjusted incorrectly and need to talk to a few pros. Right now we just day hike, but i am looking into starting longer overnight trips carrying more weight so i want a pack that fits right and is comfortable.

We're in the same weight class(I weigh a little less, but I'm also a little shorter). I use a Kelty Coyote and don't have much difficulty. I just ordered a ULA Catalyst, and I'll tell you how that turns out.

Appalachian Tater
08-18-2010, 04:48
You're fat but you're not short. 5' 10" is the average height for males in the U.S.

couscous
08-18-2010, 08:28
One consideration is how much space you need. If 3600cu is sufficient, Luddite's Granite Gear Vapor Trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64326) would probably work for you. Both of my sons use GG Vapor Trails - both are 5'10"-5'11" - both are in the 240#-270# range.