PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Roan Mt. area questions

Berserker
08-16-2010, 14:15
Heading to do Roan soon and had 2 questions:
It's been fairly dry here in the SE this summer, so how's the water in the stretch from Iron Mountain Gap to 19E?
The AT map shows a camp spot at Ash Gap. What does this area look like (i.e. is there room for only a single tent, is it huge where it can accomodate several tents, etc.)?

Tennessee Viking
08-16-2010, 14:23
I can't report too much on water. But I do know the Roan Gardens fountains and restrooms are closed. And there is a spring at the old Apple Orchard (just north of IMG) but the sign was recently stolen. The Barn shelter has a fairly reliable source, with additional sources along the forest road. PM Mountain Squid or contact Bob @ Kincora, I believe they have been out working on trail around Roan recently.

As for the camping quesiton, Ash Gap is huge. Lots of tenting room there, and a short blue blaze to a spring on the NC side. There is also smaller site just above Hughes Gap with water source along the TN roadside.

bus
08-20-2010, 16:07
It was mid June when I was there, but, water was easy to find. First spring was right after the side trail to Grassy Ridge. Stan Murray Shelter spring had good flow. The barn (over mountain shelter) had a nice piped spring.

There was a few streams with water between the humps and 19E. I wouldnt drink the water by the Applehouse shelter though.

At 19E is Mountain Harbour Hostel. Stop there, pay for a shower and fill up with some water.
Seems like there has been some rain in that area that last week or so.

Have fun. I Love the Roan area.

Berserker
08-26-2010, 12:35
Thanks for the info guys. Did the section (from Iron Mountain Gap to 19E NOBO) last weekend...finally. I had planned to do this section multiple times in the past, and ended up doing alternate sections due to the weather (i.e. I actually wanted to see some scenery while I'm up there unlike the rest of NC I have done so far where all I have seen is rain, snow and fog).

Anyway, water was flowing good, but it did rain on us on Saturday during the day and early Sunday morning. So, that's probably why it was flowing good. The spring at Bradley Gap was barely trickling despite all the rain. There is another spring maybe 1/4 mile before Bradley Gap going NOBO that was flowing much better.

Ash Gap was as TV said. It is huge with plenty of room for many tents. It's also a really neat spot to camp. Bradley gap was the other spot I camped, and it too was a really neat spot. It was actually my favorite spot in the whole section. I had orginally planned to stay at Overmountain due to all the rave reviews, but there was shall I say an intersting fellow hanging out there that I decided could have the place to himself.

Tennessee Viking
08-26-2010, 14:42
How was the trail just north of Hughes Gap? Were the new relocations open (about 0.7 miles north of Hughes Gap). My club had Hardcore and Konnarock in there recently, and wondering how how the tread is doing.

Berserker
08-27-2010, 08:51
How was the trail just north of Hughes Gap? Were the new relocations open (about 0.7 miles north of Hughes Gap). My club had Hardcore and Konnarock in there recently, and wondering how how the tread is doing.
I honestly can't remember much detail on what it looked like after Hughes Gap. It was raining pretty good, and I had already hiked about 10 miles so I was kinda off in la la land till I got to Ash Gap. I do remember seeing several portions of trail that looked fairly new along the whole section, and they were all in decent shape. A little muddy due to the recent rain, but in good condition. I also ran into a crew at Bradley Gap that was cutting down a bunch of the trees on the North side of Little Hump.