PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a tarp?

SwingLow
08-16-2010, 16:33
I have a rainfly that came with my hammock. It held up in moderate rain, but I was also well covered by the trees. Is a tarp necessary for the AT?

couscous
08-16-2010, 16:54
If you're planning to use your hammock, then yes a tarp is required.

bigcranky
08-16-2010, 17:58
Um, wait, isn't the rainfly really a tarp?

couscous
08-16-2010, 19:12
Um, wait, isn't the rainfly really a tarp?
I read it wrong... no wonder it didn't make sense. Skip my previous comment, the rain fly is sufficient. Need a sheep-ish icon for this post. :o
What I read "Is a tarp necessary for the AT?"
What he meant "Is a second tarp necessary for the AT?"

kayak karl
08-16-2010, 19:24
post the brand and style of hammock. that would help. if its an HH the stock tarp will work just fine.

SwingLow
08-17-2010, 00:17
It is a Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Zip Hammock. http://www.rei.com/product/799606
I have seen pictures of people with similar hammocks and they have additional tarps, but is it worth the extra weight? I am hoping the rain fly would be enough to keep my pack and everything dry too.

TinaLouise
08-17-2010, 08:04
It is a Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Zip Hammock. http://www.rei.com/product/799606
I have seen pictures of people with similar hammocks and they have additional tarps, but is it worth the extra weight? I am hoping the rain fly would be enough to keep my pack and everything dry too.

I've got one of those headed my way in the mail but until it gets to me, I can't say if that tarp is large enough for what you want it to do. Most likely though, it will be fine IF you take precautions with your gear. I already backpack with a hammock and what I do is to hang my backpack at the head end of my hammock at night. The backpack is empty at that point. All my smellys & food is either hung in a bear bag or is hanging from the bear cables. Any extra clothes are being used as a pillow, my boots are either hung in the shelter or they're hanging from my hammock. I carry a rain wrap skirt that I drap over my backpack incase it rains. Anything that you want to keep dry will need to be hanging/attached to your hammock and under the tarp. If you put gear on the ground, I've found that if it does rain, because I'm in a hammock, I'm not in the best "ground" location, and river's have been known to develop and run under me. I never carry more than 1 tarp when backpacking. If I need a large tarp then I'll switch out my smaller one and just carry the larger one, but never 2 tarps.

bigcranky
08-17-2010, 08:05
Hey, LPoo,

Some Hennessy Hammock owners will buy a larger tarp in place of the rain fly that came with their hammock. But they don't carry both. I bought a Maccat Deluxe tarp, which provides better coverage than the original rain fly, and for me it's worth the few extra ounces over the original.

--Ken

kayak karl
08-17-2010, 09:23
stock tarp will work fine, hang low, keep tarp close to ridge line and pick location carefully. it worked fine for me on the trial, but to cut weight i switched to this,
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=149

Trillium
08-17-2010, 20:00
I have a HH and the tarp that came with it is only adequate if you are experienced and can perfectly hang the hammock and the tarp. I'm a neophyte and didn't want to take the chance of getting wet during a shower so I took Certain's advice and bought the MacCat Deluxe tarp and LOVE it!

kayak karl
08-17-2010, 20:24
I have a HH and the tarp that came with it is only adequate if you are experienced and can perfectly hang the hammock and the tarp. I'm a neophyte and didn't want to take the chance of getting wet during a shower so I took Certain's advice and bought the MacCat Deluxe tarp and LOVE it!
if you decide you need a bigger tarp, MacCat is good, but WAIT:) they will be coming out with a cuben version soon.
http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

BigHodag
08-18-2010, 20:44
Yes, you need a tarp if even just for keeping acorns and branches from pelting you. While you're asleep trees while sway and things will come down.

As I was fairly lightweight, I splurged a few extra pounds and used an 8X10 poly tarp from Harbor Freight (4 lbs, $12). Bomb proof. I went through several storms at home before hitting the trail. Never wet once.

I hope to go lighter next section hike.

Country Roads
08-22-2010, 16:59
Has anyone tried a cuben tarp from Z-packs. Website says Joe will make them to your specs. Looks like yah could get a pretty large cuben (expensive though) tarp/fly for maybe less than 10 ounces, maybe a lot less depending on size.

Another tarp ?. Would a Campmor 8 x 10 silnylon work; I already have one of those and was just wondering if it would work.
No I don't have a hammock...yet; but you hammockers are getting me to thinking.

leaftye
08-22-2010, 18:22
Has anyone tried a cuben tarp from Z-packs. Website says Joe will make them to your specs. Looks like yah could get a pretty large cuben (expensive though) tarp/fly for maybe less than 10 ounces, maybe a lot less depending on size.

I don't have one of his flat tarps, but I do have a Hexamid.

Yeah, you could get a HUGE cuben tarp for 10 ounces. 12x13' sounds about right. Cuben fiber is expensive. To replicate his largest tarp, you'd spend about $180 just for the cuben fiber, but you also need tape/adhesive and possibly grosgrain.

wirerat123
08-23-2010, 15:06
The Hennessy Trap is fine, I've been using one for 10 years and have yet to get wet, even in driving rain. Put on your pack cover and hang it at the head end of your hammock and you shouldn't have to worry much about it getting very wet. Or bring a compactor bag and stuff the pack in there knot the top and hang it. Either way, you'll be fine. Might take some time to get used to getting everything right, but it isn't hard.

wirerat123
08-23-2010, 15:07
The Hennessy Trap is fine, I've been using one for 10 years and have yet to get wet, even in driving rain. Put on your pack cover and hang it at the head end of your hammock and you shouldn't have to worry much about it getting very wet. Or bring a compactor bag and stuff the pack in there knot the top and hang it. Either way, you'll be fine. Might take some time to get used to getting everything right, but it isn't hard.

I meant 6 years.

SwingLow
08-23-2010, 20:08
Is the head end either end or is it specifically one of them?

Trillium
08-23-2010, 21:07
I guess it probably depends what kind of hammock you have. You get in the Hennesey from the bottom so I set up my sleeping bag so the velcro opening of the hammock is at my feet.

JaxHiker
08-25-2010, 09:21
I was very happy to have the extra coverage of my MacCat Deluxe on my last hike. There's no way I would've been able to get out and relax with all the rain under the stock tarp. Being holed up for 2 days would've sucked a lot more than it did. At least with the extra coverage I could get out and sit on the ground for cooking/eating.

winger
09-08-2010, 10:18
First thing I did when I bought the HH was to get a larger tarp (JRB) as I didn't like the stock tarps coverage for wet winter conditions. Now I use a Warbonnet BB and a OES MacCat tarp.

JAK
09-08-2010, 10:40
Is the head end either end or is it specifically one of them?Hey! I resemble that remark.

Doc Mike
09-08-2010, 10:55
Either the hex tarp from hennesey or the cat tarp from JRB is what i recommend for now but the cuben tarp may change that.

Doc Mike

Shutterbug
09-08-2010, 12:49

I have the same hammock and have slept through heavy rain without getting wet using the stock tarp (rain fly). I have not seen a reason to buy a different tarp.

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 11:57
Yes there are many options for rain flys. The HH standard flys are a little on the small side. But weigh very little.

RichardD
09-14-2010, 00:35
My experience:
I have a Hennessy and I purchased the optional Hex in Sil Nylon. It gives tons of coverage and I never once came close to getting wet.
On the same trip my sister used the "free" Scout that at the time came with a purchase, it had the standard tarp and she got wet twice. With practice we set up the tarp correctly and she did not get wet again. There is not much leeway but if the standard tarp is set up right then it will likely keep you dry.

10-03-2010, 22:04
the standard fly ( when pitched tight and low to the hammock) will keep the hammock dry in normal rain, many folks will carry the weight of a bigger tarp for the extra cooking/living space during the rain

TinaLouise
10-07-2010, 08:04

I'm wondering how your testing is going and if you're now out camping with this hammock??

You had asked if it has a particular end that's the head end... What I've found with mine (and it's the same one you have) is that when I sit down in it, that my head goes right, on the side with the pull-out. My feet end up at the other pull-out, and that's also where the zipper is.

My area just had that Tropical mess come through and I've had this hammock hanging up in my backyard the whole time. I found that as long as I kept the tarp from touching the hammock (the netting or the ridgeline) that I stayed dry inside. If the tarp came in contact with my hammock, water seemed to seep through. I also found that I needed to hang the tarp & hammock higher from the ground. I was getting a lot of rain back-splash (rain runs off the tarp, hits the ground then back splashes onto the bottom of my hammock). I raised both higher on the tree and no more problems. Centering the tarp over the hammock was the hardest part and the most crucial to get absolutely right. Something else I've done is to change out the stock ropes that came on the hammock. Plus I've added a ridgeline (a rope under the tarp that goes from tree to tree) to the tarp. I flat out could not get that tarp to hang without it drapeing down onto my hammock netting, especially when it was seriously raining. Added the rope to hold up the tarp and I like it a lot better.
I'm likeing this hammock better, the more I use it. For winter hanging, I'm using a much larger tarp that I made. I'm still testing that though so I can't comment one way or the other.:-?

TinaLouise

wirerat123
10-07-2010, 10:46
I also found that I needed to hang the tarp & hammock higher from the ground. I was getting a lot of rain back-splash (rain runs off the tarp, hits the ground then back splashes onto the bottom of my hammock). I raised both higher on the tree and no more problems. Centering the tarp over the hammock was the hardest part and the most crucial to get absolutely right.
TinaLouise

That's a hard happy medium to hit sometimes. Rain splash back is no fun. Usually only an issue on flat hard ground, and fairly open areas, but an issue none the less.

One of the most important parts of hammock camping is learning to use the terrain and features to your advantage to improve comfort, safety and weather proofing.

Hammockforums.net has a wealth of information regarding hammock camping. One surefire way to learn is to get out there and experiment, but I'm a firm believer in learn from those that blazed the trail as well. Hammock camping is somewhat still in it's infancy, and everyone is still currently learning and improving together.

It beats the ground for sure. Especially for those of us that have developed physical issues over time. You are heading in the right direction coming to the forums for advice.