PDA

View Full Version : Best Sleeping Bag?

SwingLow
08-16-2010, 16:46
I have a 0 degree sleeping bag but it is 5.5lbs and very bulky. When I did the Ga portion of the AT I brought a cheaper, 25 degree sleeping bag which was also very bulky and still 3.5lbs. I get very cold when I sleep, and especially now that I have a hammock it will be even colder. I am not sure what sleeping bag to get or what temperature. I need something not too expensive and that packs up small. I also am wondering if synthetic would be better to use since it would still stay warm if wet.

garlic08
08-16-2010, 17:11
There's a great saying that goes, "Down is always better unless it isn't."

Ask yourself if you're likely to ever get the bag wet, especially in a hammock. I finally switched from synthetic to down for my first thru hike and I kicked myself for waiting so long. What finally convinced me was that of all the trips I took in the rain (and I lived in the Pacific Northwest for a number of years, so there were many rainy trips), I realized that I was always able to keep the bag dry. Since making the switch to down, and many busy seasons later, I've still never managed to wet out my sleeping bag. Damp, yes, but not enough to compromise the down.

A good inexpensive down bag is the Campmor 20: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065 I've had it down to 20 and survived, but it's not the best 20 degree bag around. If you have a little more money than that, try to get better quality down. In other words, get the best bag you can afford. Wait for a sale if you can.

Hammocking is different, I think. The one time I tried it with my excellent sleeping bag, I was really cold. You might be better off with a two quilt system.

gunner76
08-16-2010, 17:40
A problem that rarely gets mentioned is how big are you. At 6ft2+ and 270 lbs I can not use many of the bags mentioned because of my size and I need a rectangular bag with some room to sprawl.

Check some place like REI where you can "try on" several bags for fit and even if you do not find a bag in your price range or features you can at least keep track of what size bag fit / felt comfortable and use that to help find a bag.

A good down bag can last for many years and the old North Face Ibex I bought in the 70's finally gave out a few years ago and the closest bag in same temp range and features ect I have been able to find will cost me about $500.

bigcranky
08-16-2010, 17:56
In a hammock you're going to need something underneath to keep you warm. The sleeping bag insulation is just going to get crushed. A closed cell foam pad is the cheapest and easiest solution for that. Something 25 or 30 inches wide is best, to wrap around your shoulders. Then you just drape your sleeping bag over you like a quilt, or buy an actual quilt. (If you have the bucks you can buy an underquilt and one or more overquilts and be warm in your hammock down close to 0-F. Jacks R Better makes some very nice quilts.)

This is for a thru-hike, yes? Northbound? When do you plan to start? (An early February start is really different from a late April start.)

nox
08-16-2010, 20:24
Since you are planning on using a hammock, I highly recommend looking at a quilt. I used a sleeping bag in mine for 2 years and just recently bought a quilt. It makes getting in and out a ton easier. It also stops you from getting twisted in it if you roll around in your sleep like I do. JacksRbetter makes great stuff as well as Warbonnet. Have fun!!

Del Q
08-16-2010, 20:36
Big Agnes Bags are great for bigger people, lightweight. Pad goes underneath. Happier still with Mont Bell 25 degree bag, fits wide shoulders nicely.

SassyWindsor
08-16-2010, 23:42
I use a dry bag to put my WM Down bag in. It will still get a little damp in humid conditions and is tougher to dry out, but you gotta come up with just one bag and it works best for me. I do have a NF Cats Meow (synthetic) I use when kayaking, I'm not carrying the extra weight on my back so it really doesn't matter. I also don't want to lose my expensive WM bag to a river.

Egads
08-17-2010, 07:06
I have a 0 degree sleeping bag but it is 5.5lbs and very bulky. When I did the Ga portion of the AT I brought a cheaper, 25 degree sleeping bag which was also very bulky and still 3.5lbs. I get very cold when I sleep, and especially now that I have a hammock it will be even colder. I am not sure what sleeping bag to get or what temperature. I need something not too expensive and that packs up small. I also am wondering if synthetic would be better to use since it would still stay warm if wet.

buy a quality down bag and don't get it wet :-?