lobster
11-19-2004, 19:02
Any opinions on it?

Frosty
11-19-2004, 19:23
i like it.

SalParadise
11-19-2004, 20:44
yeah, I liked it. great music on it. It was four friends who hiked together with some interviews of a few more hikers. It doesn't focus much on the "AT as a community" thing and it doesn't include a typical night at a shelter. However what makes it a terrific movie is the introspection from the hikers along the way, as the movie stops to ask 'why' or to gauge the hikers' moods as they go.

Footslogger
11-19-2004, 22:08
We bought it before it was available on DVD. Aside from the relative dowsides of videocassette, the movie is a gas. I would say that for anyone who has ever walked the AT and has had dreams of hiking it from end to end it's an entertaining production.

'Slogger
AT 2003

lobster
11-19-2004, 22:47
How does it compare to "2000 miles to Maine"?

Bloodroot
11-20-2004, 08:38
How does it compare to "2000 miles to Maine"?
I have both. I liked Trek better because it seemed more organized. Trek focused totally on the 4 hikers and their friends and experiences they made along the way; while 2000 miles to Maine covered a larger variety of potential thru hikers placing somewhat of an emphasis on one guy. Also, Trek is longer hitting and spending more time in the hot trail towns and areas along the trail.

foodbag
11-20-2004, 10:45
I haven't heard of Trek before this. Can anyone tell me where you can get it? Thanks.

Jaybird
11-20-2004, 11:05
TREK was very well done...i wuz rootin' for the "FOUR HORSEMEN" all the way!

I also ride a TREK bike (yikes! thats an un-related topic!...am i gonna get kicked off???????) :D

Bloodroot
11-20-2004, 11:24
Foodbag----

I got it from Amazon.

attroll
11-20-2004, 12:54
I haven't heard of Trek before this. Can anyone tell me where you can get it? Thanks.
Here is their web site: http://www.cirquevideo.com/

foodbag
11-20-2004, 14:37
Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.... :jump

Frosty
11-20-2004, 15:33
Carpe Diem, or is it Caveat Emptor? I'm SO confused....
Carpe Titanium

SavageLlama
11-21-2004, 00:56
I've got all three AT documentaries on DVD. Here's my little review..

Trek - Great film that is very well done. I've watched the DVD several times. It was shot by four guys that thru-hiked the trail and experienced a lot of highs and lows along the way, making for some interesting surprises. It gives you the best idea of what its like to thru-hike the AT, both mentally and physically. First-time watchers will have fun taking bets early in the film on who they think will make it to Katahdin.

2000 Miles to Maine - Well done but not as cohesive as Trek. It has great interviews but leaves out big chunks of the trail. The filmmakers didn't thru-hike the trail while making the film, so you don't quite get the feeling of being on the trail day after day. But they interviewed a great cast of characters that are very entertaining.

North to Katahdin - The first documentary of the AT, it has some amazing footage. Shot in the 80s, it gives you a great flavor of what it was like to hike before titanium cookware and ultra-light backpacks. These hikers really earned every mile. Shot on film (not video), the cinematography is fantastic, with some really beautiful shots. Now out on DVD.

lobster
11-21-2004, 15:27
I have "Five Million Steps", so how would it compare to those 3?

Bloodroot
11-21-2004, 15:37
Ive seen that one too....still like Trek best. Although I haven't seen North to Katadin?

trippclark
11-22-2004, 14:11
I have all three videos discussed in this thread. Really liked "Trek" as mosy have said. One disappointment, however, was when one of the hikers turns to the camera and flips off the audience. It kinda detracts from the movie and is out of place. It limits the audience that can be shown the movie. I would not want to show it to Scouts or young kids because of this.

joflaig
11-22-2004, 15:06
I have Trek and North to K. Trek is great, I've watched it repeatedly. Because it follows the 4 hikers so closely and throughout their entire 'trek' you really get a feel of what it's like. These guys are young so there is some stupidity, but on the whole they're likable and at the end you can see how most of them have matured. North to K. was spectacular, but being only 20 minutes or so long is a real disappointment. While short on dialog, what they do say is concise and really nails the spirit of the AT and why people hike it.

The Hog
11-23-2004, 07:49
It was stated that North To Katahdin is around 20 minutes in length and also stated that it was the first documentary on the A.T. Neither statement is accurate. While the filming of North To Katahdin did indeed start first, the first completed production was Five Million Steps, by Lynne Whelden. For the record, North To Katahdin is 28 minutes long.

SGT Rock
11-23-2004, 08:38
It is a very good video for 28 minutes. I assume one of the reasons it was shorter was the weight of the equipment back then and the logistics of doing a film with that sort of stuff.

The Hog
11-23-2004, 15:52
Thanks, Sarge, I appreciate your comments. When I filmed North To Katahdin, I wanted to have the highest quality format, and equipment that was light enough for a thru hike. Back then (1984), that format was 16 mm film (35 mm would have been the perfect medium, but cost and backbreaking weight made the notion prohibitive). My camera gear, film, light meter, etc. weighed a daunting 15 lbs, but I cut down the weight of my regular gear so much that my pack weight averaged 40-45 lbs (maximum 57 lbs heading out of Monson). Pretty standard weight load in that era.

The real limitation was money. 16 mm films cost a bare bones minimum of $1,000 per minute to produce. If you do the math, you quickly realise that making a two hour film would have cost at least $120,000. Since I was practically broke, I did my best to try to line up backers and sponsors, but nobody (well, almost nobody) was interested. I could have easily quit at that point, but I'm not a quitter. So I embarked on a financial and logistical struggle myself, using a borrowed camera and some of the most meager editing equipment imaginable (for example, my film bin, used for editing, was a cardboard box). It took eight years to scrape together enough money to finish the film.

The result: With a huge amount of effort and a sizeable chunk of cash, I did exactly what I wanted to do. I am happy with the film I produced, and so are the overwhelming majority of viewers (I have a file full of rave reviews and have a 100% positive rating on eBay).

Now that I have a digital video camera, much longer productions are financially feasible. I'm currently working on a DVD titled, Continental Divide Trail Diary: MT/ID, which will present my travels along 900 miles of CDT from Waterton Lakes, Canada, to Yellowstone Nat. Park. I already have a ton of killer footage in the can, and hope to complete the DVD late in 2005.

I look forward to seeing the new A.T. films, including Trek. I have no doubt that I will enjoy them, and I'm glad that there are films and videos on the A.T. with different viewpoints, approached with completely different styles.

Mausalot
12-08-2004, 00:40
Savage Lama, thanks for your fair reviews of the three films. Obviously, all filmmakers put their hearts and souls into their work, so it is discouraging to see negative comments when they arise. However, honest ones like yours that point out the strengths and weaknessess of my own film 2000 Miles to Maine (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/) are appreciated. I really do wish we could have hiked the whole trail for a much more comprehensive documentary, but we had other committments. However, the breadth of characters, the cameradrie, and humor we captured really is the strength of the piece and greatly appreciated by the viewers. Certainly, the positive feedback (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/feedme.htm) we've received says that as well.

I've been putting off seeing Trek, but now I'm looking forward to it and should be getting a copy for the holidays.

As an independent filmmaker, of course I am not only looking to make entertaining movies, but also eek out a living -- which I do teaching and making movies. So 2000 Miles to Maine (http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/) makes a great gift :welcome (And I'm certain the other movies do as well -- how about a boxed set with the three films!) Anyone ordering a copy should note that you read about the movie on White Blaze so I can make a donation to the site.

Cameraman :dance

SalParadise
12-08-2004, 01:37
Since we're on reviews of other films, a new one just came out from Mark Flagler called "Appalachian Impressions". I understand it's a new release, but if/when anyone sees it I'll be curious what they think, good or bad.

Haven't seen NtoK, but 2000 Miles and Trek were both good in their own way. 2000 Miles was so much like a shelter experience, meeting some unique people and meeting people in that worn-out, funny way that people talk at shelters.

Trek did well to cover the whole Trail and was fairly introspective. Despite the four friends hiking together, it was a solitary hike, with no real dwell-time on the community of other hikers.

So I guess 2000 Miles was like a hiker who stayed at the same shelter all day and Trek was the hiker who pushed all day to make miles.

Glee
12-08-2004, 08:48
To be honest, I really didn't like it. So if anyone is interested, I'm selling it for $10.00 plus $5.00 postage.

dje97001
01-06-2005, 15:34
I just finished watching Trek and it was definitely a fun time. Although it seemed to me that there weren't enough rainy/nasty days... I'm thinking it is too tiring to interview/be interviewed on crummy days--that and the camera is sure to get wet! My impression from the video was that they had a week or two of rain, but 95% of the trip was beautiful! They did seem to get some nice weather (and subsequent views) up in the whites... Good show, worth the 10-20 bucks.

LionKing
01-07-2005, 14:01
I want to hear this kind of honesty on mine.

If you are interesed, or you can wait till traildays, as Backpacker Magazine is working on showing it Friday Night, where I will have the pro-packged set for sale, but if you want a early final copy...not in ProPackaging, just the finished version....

drop $25 to Michael daniel, 17541 GA HWY 33, Pavo GA 31778.....if it gets here by next Friday, Ill get your DVD out, if not...dont mail it, as I am leaving for Park City to screen the film during Sundance Film Festival (Althougg not an official selection) and having a big party with free beer and wings and giving away gear from Jansport, Backpacker Magazine, Columbia, Leki and Clifbar.

Good times. So if you live out in Utah or around there come by...but again, I would like to hear some of these opinions on mine as well. From the hikers...I have heard from a few that I sold advance copies to , and what I can do is if you bring the copy you buy to Trail Days I will trade it for one in the slick glossy packaging..woohooo. If that means anything to you.

Still wonder if Miss Janets version played all the way through, hadnt heard back yet,

ky-at-hiker
01-09-2005, 00:43
I have copies of each of the videos discussed. I just received my copy of Appalachian Impressions yesterday. I cant decide which i like better (TREK or App. Impress.) Trek is a great story about a group of college friends and a lot of interesting trail buddies they meet. App. Impress. is detailed with more info. on shelters, some key towns, and interesting points along the way. Both have shown some great places along the trail to look forward to on the trail. I would give both a 9/10.
North to Katadin was like the other stated a little short for me. I wasnt disappointed at the content that was there but i wanted more of it. 2000 Miles to Maine was very interesting because it showed some Thru-hikers that like to party for days.

Thanks to all these film makers for their vision and willingness to pack a camera through the woods so dreamers like me have a vision of what to expect when we hit the trail.

The Hog
01-09-2005, 09:58
I can't speak for the other filmmakers, but my motivation to make an A.T. film had nothing to do with making money (indeed, I expected to lose money). It was, rather, to communicate a vision of what the Trail meant to me. Reaping financial rewards (which, by the way, tend to be laughingly small - have you heard this one about making documentaries? "You can make HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of dollars!!!") is nothing compared to the moments when you realize that some people "get it." All the grueling work of carrying heavy camera equipment around and the years of excruciating detail in editing are all made worth it by those moments.

Back when I filmed North To Katahdin, high quality cameras and film were both heavy and expensive. To make a two hour documentary in 16 mm film would cost you a bare bones minimum of $120,000. Today, a videographer can carry a high quality camera that weighs one pound, and the editing can be done very cheaply. It's much easier and much less expensive to make a documentary today than it was 20 years ago.