PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to buy next ;)

beaudetious
08-17-2010, 13:03
I'm slowly (very slowly) bringing my pack weight down. I'm a section hiker and I've carried as much as 65 pounds at times. I've seen the light and have purchased a few items that have helped lower my weight (plus I've lost over 30 pounds on my body too).

Now I have about $200 to spend on my next purchase and I need help deciding what's next.

Here's my gear list as it stands:

pack - an old external frame that's still kicking
shelter - Hennessy hammock (Expedition A-sym w/ stock tarp), a 15 year old or more Everest sleeping bag (synthetic, I'm sure), various full length sleeping pads
cooking system: super cat stove, Ti cooking pot, windscreen, pot cozy, spork
footwear: Keen Tarhgee II mids (just broken in), some synthetic/wool hiking socks
water: Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter, generic brand 2 liter bladder and hose, 32 oz. gatorade bottle
Clothing: Under Armour Heat Gear underwear, some cheap Walmart brand long johns (found in sporting section though), cotton netted t-shirt, old ass fleece jacket that's really thick, some gloves, North Face convertible hiking shorts/pants
Bunch of misc. items that don't count for this question, I'm sure.

So, I'm trying to decide wether or not to buy an insulated compressible jacket (like the Nano Puff) or save my money and buy a better bag or some sort of insulation for the hammock. I think I need to get better gear before I buy a better bag (advice I've seen on this forums).

Any suggestions?

Thanks, beaudetious

beaudetious
08-17-2010, 13:04
I should mention that I'm mostly a Spring/Fall AT section hiker and I currently live in NC so most of my miles will be spent in moderate weather that may dip into below freezing temps every once in awhile.

flemdawg1
08-17-2010, 14:10
Going from the ext frame to a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone would probably save you 3-4 lbs. $129 @ campmor if can wear a short, $214 for a medium elsewhere.

Upgrading the old Everest sleeping bag might win you a couple of lbs.

SweetAss03
08-17-2010, 14:20
I am all for the above post on the choice of a new pack however I suggest you get your equipment weight down first. I would start with the bag. It will eat your money but you can get a decent bag in that price range that is light. Check REI Clarence outlet on their website and compare other prices as well.

mister krabs
08-17-2010, 14:37
You might be able to get both a down bag and a jacket. Campmor has cheap down sleeping bags and eddie bauer has some insane deals on very good and light jackets and vests if you can find your size. The downlight sweater and vest and the igniter jacket are great deals less than 60$
http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Men/Clearance/Outerwear--Jackets/index.cat#ppl={type%3A%22hide%22}

medicjimr
08-17-2010, 14:44
Save pack for last once you have figured out what you need compared to what you take you will see how small and light of a bag you will really need So that being said start with sleeping bag something either 3 season or summer weight don't no rating of your synthetic bag but if single dig save for winter camping when you don't crank the miles so weight is'nt a big factor over warmth needs just IMO

beaudetious
08-17-2010, 14:53
I appreciate the input so far. Sounds like I just need a good down bag and some warm clothes and I should sleep alright even under 40 degrees. That sound about right? Later on (a.k.a. when money falls from the sky) I'll rig up an insulation system for the hammock. Thanks again.

couscous
08-17-2010, 15:11
Any suggestions?

I would start by weighing everything you normally carry - including your pack. If you have a digital bathroom scale that shows increments of .2 lbs. - it would be accurate enough to show you where you can quickly reduce weight. For instance, if your pack and sleeping bag each weigh more than 4 pounds, you don't really need a .1 ounce precision postal scale to know lighter options are available.

Kerosene
08-17-2010, 17:57
If you're committed to your hammock, then I'd look to get a 3-season underquilt plus a lightweight overquilt, which will likely cost you closer to $300. Even in a high-quality 20-degree mummy I would get cold spots when I happened to press against the side of the hammock when the outside temperature dipped below 55 degrees.

Mags
08-17-2010, 19:59
You live in Asheville. From what I understand, it is an outdoor Mecca of sorts.

Try Craig's List for Asheville and NC.

E-Bay is always good.

I imagine Asheville has some thrift store with outdoor finds? Used sporting goods store?

May help stretch your dollar and get some otherwise expensive goodies for less money.

Del Q
08-17-2010, 20:36
No need to cook, eat in town, plenty of great trail food = no stove, clean up, fuel, weight, bulk, etc.

Scrap the filter, Aqua Mira or similar is great. Cost so far, zero.

Buy a killer down sleeping bag, Mont Bell's are excellent

Good to go.............shelter is next then pack

Spokes
08-17-2010, 20:53
How about a copy of the Thru-Hiker's handbook?

bigmac_in
08-17-2010, 21:02
Would you be interested in some NF Meridian Pants?

:D:D:D

Lugnut
08-17-2010, 21:06
What's the inseam?

Two Speed
08-17-2010, 22:22
Cargo pockets?

STICK
08-17-2010, 23:01
Going from the ext frame to a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone would probably save you 3-4 lbs. $129 @ campmor if can wear a short, $214 for a medium elsewhere.

GG is letting there current stock of the Ozones kind of run out. They will be putting out the new model next February, however the specs should be available on their site within the next month or so. From what I've heard they are supposed to be slightly heavier and a little more pricier. Guess we will see soon. I am planning on getting this pack next year, so I am anxious to see how the new model pans out.

Franco
08-17-2010, 23:08
Had a quick search on "Everest" sleeping bags. The one I found (from Kotula's) has a 3 1/2 lbs of fill so it has to be around 4 lbs . (?)
Getting a down bag not only could save you a lot of weight but volume too. Less volume can mean smaller pack and that could be a lighter pack...
Franco

Danielsen
08-17-2010, 23:24
GG is letting there current stock of the Ozones kind of run out. They will be putting out the new model next February, however the specs should be available on their site within the next month or so. From what I've heard they are supposed to be slightly heavier and a little more pricier. Guess we will see soon. I am planning on getting this pack next year, so I am anxious to see how the new model pans out.

If they're gonna be heavier, I sure hope they're also comfier (though they're already pretty darn comfy) to offset the weight. I love my vapor flash, but I'll probably only use it for winter now since I don't need the capacity and my smaller summer pack is about half the weight.

Wags
08-18-2010, 00:15
yep a down bag or, imo, better yet a down quilt is easily the next purchase from that list

Franco
08-18-2010, 01:44
Quilt !
How did I miss that...
Beauditious..
as a hammock user you should be using a quilt, or at least consider one.
Have a look at the JRB site
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/ (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/)
those two guys are off hiking now but just to make up for it they are offering a discount on the gear.
I use the No Sniveler (on land not up a tree) , works for me above 35f (warm not just OK) , would work below that with some clothing .
(depends on the humidity level too)
The Hudson River is the same without the head hole.
Franco

BrianLe
08-18-2010, 08:57
I'm a somewhat analytical person, so take these comments in that context (i.e., consider the source :-)).

Putting together some great comments from above, I agree with Couscous that a good early purchase might be an accurate scale, perhaps from a local office supply store. Weigh everything, put the results in a spreadsheet, sort according to weight.

Now for some of the heaviest items, put in a couple of new columns to list what a replacement item might weigh --- and cost. Now you can re-sort according to oz (or grams) saved per dollar. As others have said, defer replacing the pack if you anticipate changing a lot of other gear and do plan to at some point have $$ to replace the pack after the rest of your gear is a bit more tuned up.

And of course factor in what Mags said about buying from gear swaps or discounts. Since you can't know in advance what sort of things you can get this way, and at what prices, the spreadsheet just gives you a sort of general idea of what to items to focus on first. It also, btw, can perhaps help in weeding out things that just shouldn't be carried in the first place ...

beaudetious
08-18-2010, 11:58
Weigh everything, put the results in a spreadsheet, sort according to weight.

Great idea. I'm a programmer. So maybe I should write an application to do this easily. ;)

I'm heading towards making my hammock warm and then I'll move on to warmer smaller clothes.