PDA

View Full Version : late Summer weather in Central NY/ ME

David@whiteblaze
08-17-2010, 14:03
Does anyone know what sort of rain comes around this time of year in ME/ NY? I have enough money to buy a hammock, but not a tarp, and I don't feel like sleeping in a running stream under a tarp.

David@whiteblaze
08-17-2010, 17:15
"that should be a hammock, or tarp, but not both..."

nox
08-17-2010, 17:21
I would say get a GOOD tarp and then see if you can scrounge up the money for a hammock.. a decent, but cheap hammock can be found for $20-$40. If you cheap out on a tarp you'll pay for it later.

Mr. Right
08-17-2010, 17:22
The weather's a little different each year and at each place. This year (so far) it's been dry with a couple of scattered heavy days. However, they're saying rain to make up for the drought may be coming in the fall.

If you're deciding on tarp or hammock, I wouldn't let rain be a factor in deciding. I have a tarp and you just have to be careful about where you put it up. I've never had a stream run under me when I was careful about where I set up.

Having said that, a hammock will most definitely keep you drier. But keep in mind that a hammock can be cold as all get out when the temperature drops ... and it can get cold in Maine in late summer. One of the coldest nights I had on the Trail was August 27 in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Personally, I'd point you toward the tarp.

David@whiteblaze
08-17-2010, 17:31
well, if the tarp isbeing leaned towards, I have a "backyard hammock" ~3 lbs. Would it be suggested that I just buy the tarp and use the hammock (already invested in a 15* bag...)

Mr. Right
08-17-2010, 17:54
I'd say invest in a good tarp and pad and skip the hammock.

Toolshed
08-17-2010, 20:45
just had my hammock out in CNY 2 weeks ago. Days were high 70's and Nights were to 65f. this was sandwiched in between several heatwaves.
65 is about my lower limit without a pad. So, For this time of year, I would plan use a CCF pad and not worry about the sweat.
If you are further north than the Finger lakes, Expect up to 10 degrees cooler September can get much colder at night - Easily in the lowe 50's/high 40's.

David@whiteblaze
08-17-2010, 21:34
well, I'm finding that ground dwelling isn't for me, but I think I just hijacked my own thread... if you'll excuse me, I'll go ask hammockers... but if anyone can tell me about the weather... I'll still appreciate it...

peakbagger
08-17-2010, 22:08
My general observations in northern NH is that the weather is generally pretty consistent with mostly sunny weather and occasional thundershowers every few days until the end of September roughly in alignment with leaf season.

boarstone
08-18-2010, 19:06
Rain varies in the "100 mile wilderness" area. Right now we're in a drought stage. Nights are in the 50's add a rainy night w/that and it'll be down right chilly.

Deadeye
08-18-2010, 21:15
Well, Mainers would probably be insulted if you tried to compare NY weather to theirs, but it generally rains in both states, and in the states in between. Sometimes it rains at night, other times in the day, sometimes all day, ranging from drizzle to downpour. The rain in Maine falls plainly down the drain, while New York rain tends to puddle. I doubt you'll find this helpful, but I found it therapeutic.:eek::D:cool:

Wombat Farm
08-18-2010, 21:40
Even though I don't live in NH now, I spent my first 42 years living there...this IS the best time of the year but because of normal (this year is VERY dry too) lack of rain in August you may have a hard time finding water. Especially in NY which has crappy water sources on the AT anyway. ME is always roaring with water. I'd get a bivy if you're worried about sleeping in the rain, otherwise target for shelters - they are very abundant in either state....enjoy!

Does anyone know what sort of rain comes around this time of year in ME/ NY? I have enough money to buy a hammock, but not a tarp, and I don't feel like sleeping in a running stream under a tarp.

David@whiteblaze
08-18-2010, 21:59
Even though I don't live in NH now, I spent my first 42 years living there...this IS the best time of the year but because of normal (this year is VERY dry too) lack of rain in August you may have a hard time finding water. Especially in NY which has crappy water sources on the AT anyway. ME is always roaring with water. I'd get a bivy if you're worried about sleeping in the rain, otherwise target for shelters - they are very abundant in either state....enjoy!
Funny story... I tried a bivy in the dry, and it didn't work for me... thanks for the suggestion though...

REBELYELL
08-25-2010, 15:31
they say here in Syracuse,if you don't like the weather,just wait awhile,it'll get worse

mudhead
08-25-2010, 15:45
Well, Mainers would probably be insulted if you tried to compare NY weather to theirs, but I found it therapeutic.:eek::D:cool:

No doubt. The weather in Maine suks much more than NY.

Use the tent you don't like. Make do for now. Will make that tarp seem all the better down the road.

rainmaker
08-25-2010, 23:17

Though Ma and I will not be hiking in NY or Maine this year we will be hiking all of Mass., Vermont, and a piece of NH. Please note the trail name. If we go hiking, it will rain, a lot.

werbitt
08-29-2010, 20:06
Although you could definitely get a string of great weather, you should be prepared for the possibility of rain for sure.

weary
08-29-2010, 20:33
There's no predicting the weather in Maine in September.

Today along the midcoast temperatures climbed to 92 this afternoon. Now an hour or so after sunset it's dropped to 76. Predictions call for a peak of 78 tomorrow. We shall see.

My advice is to carry a light weight tent or tarp and hope for the best. midday temperatures can range up to 100 this time a year, or drop to near freezing.

But generally it will be warmer than you want -- not colder.

Weary

yari
08-29-2010, 22:35
well, I'm finding that ground dwelling isn't for me, but I think I just hijacked my own thread... if you'll excuse me, I'll go ask hammockers... but if anyone can tell me about the weather... I'll still appreciate it...

Weather in CNY is unpredictable at any time of the year. Hiking in the Adirondacks during summer I have seen the temp drop 30 degrees overnight. You can be sweating in sunny 90 degree heat with high humidity and have a cold front move in over night with thunderstorms and wake up with the world soaking wet and it is in the 60s. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Alway, always have your rain gear and I usually carry one more warm layer than I think I will need. During the 4th of July heatwave this year I was up at Taylor Pond at an interior site going practically naked during the middle of the day and wearing my fleece jacket at night several mornings. Be prepared.

yari
08-29-2010, 22:37
they say here in Syracuse,if you don't like the weather,just wait awhile,it'll get worse

Heh. I have heard we get four seasons, in a day.