PDA

View Full Version : Stories you don't believe, but,,,,

Doctari
08-17-2010, 15:03
Then you have a similar experience.

In the back of my head I'm sure I know there are similar experiences, but the one that comes to mind are other hikers who have told the story of:

>I met a thru (at least LD) hiker at XYZ shelter / hostel who said he/she had been there 2 - 5 days because "I DON'T HIKE IN THE RAIN!"<

Honestly, I didn't really believe there were actually people like that out there. Then, during my last (22 day) hike in 08, I met a guy at a Northern Tn shelter who said "I've been here 5 days cause I do NOT hike in the rain!!!!" Um, it had been only raining about 19 hrs by this point & none the previous 6 days. I mentioned this & he said "I do NOT hike in the rain!!!!" Yea, I finished my candy bar & moved on. Apparently he didn't hike when it MIGHT rain, , , Somewhere! Anywhere!

As I said, I can't right now think of similar hard to fathom stories, but any with similar: I thought it was a fabrication then I met someone / something who did / does that.

Oh yea, met a barefoot hiker in 04 :eek: Didn't REALLY doubt their existence, still, , , , , , , ,

Graywolf
08-17-2010, 15:09

In the back of my head I'm sure I know there are similar experiences, but the one that comes to mind are other hikers who have told the story of:

>I met a thru (at least LD) hiker at XYZ shelter / hostel who said he/she had been there 2 - 5 days because "I DON'T HIKE IN THE RAIN!"<

Honestly, I didn't really believe there were actually people like that out there. Then, during my last (22 day) hike in 08, I met a guy at a Northern Tn shelter who said "I've been here 5 days cause I do NOT hike in the rain!!!!" Um, it had been only raining about 19 hrs by this point & none the previous 6 days. I mentioned this & he said "I do NOT hike in the rain!!!!" Yea, I finished my candy bar & moved on. Apparently he didn't hike when it MIGHT rain, , , Somewhere! Anywhere!

As I said, I can't right now think of similar hard to fathom stories, but any with similar: I thought it was a fabrication then I met someone / something who did / does that.

Oh yea, met a barefoot hiker in 04 :eek: Didn't REALLY doubt their existence, still, , , , , , , ,

Wonder if he was from Texas.. I hear it all the time here. If the news says there is any chance of rain, I know people who just will not go out.. "Well, its raining outside".. Then I look out and it is clear BLUE skies..LOL..They believe more on what they hear and not what they experiance or see..

Me?? I love hiking when its raining. Less people on the trail..

Graywolf

10-K
08-17-2010, 15:31

I talked with a couple hiking SOBO through the 100 mile wilderness in ME this year. They were both barefoot.

sixhusbands
08-17-2010, 15:49
I met the "barefoot sisters" a few years back when they were on the Presidential range of the Whites. There feet looked OK, just dirty!

Pedaling Fool
08-17-2010, 16:48
I always believed the stories of purism in passing every whiteblaze, but I thought some of the stories were exaggerated, so I didn’t believe some of the incredible "exaggerations". However, I witnessed an act of purism that was every bit as unbelievable than any story I previously heard.

Two guys were hiking together, I was semi-hiking with them – our daily mileage kept us together for a while. One day I took a break at a picnic table somewhere in SNP, when they joined me at the park for a break -- this picnic table was across the street from the AT, by only about 30 feet.

They started back hiking before me; as they left I watched them argue over where exactly they got off the trail, this took at least 30 seconds (a very long 30 seconds) of them pointing to various spots not more than 5-10 feet apart from one another. Finally they decided to just walk back to a large rock where the AT emerged from the woods and restart from there.

Freakin’ incredible…:rolleyes:

Mr. Right
08-17-2010, 17:10
I don't believe the one about the thru-hiker finding the dead guy at The Doyle. Seems like it's always someone who knows someone who was friends with the guy kind of thing. I keep waiting for the first-person account to show up.

Manwich
08-17-2010, 17:28
Anybody who says they've seen sasquatch. Easiest way to lose your credulity.

Toolshed
08-17-2010, 20:47
I once sold a pair of TNF hiking pants on Whiteblaze.......

Skidsteer
08-17-2010, 21:02
I don't believe the one about the thru-hiker finding the dead guy at The Doyle. Seems like it's always someone who knows someone who was friends with the guy kind of thing. I keep waiting for the first-person account to show up.

It was Baltimore Jack (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=943593&postcount=79). That found him, I mean.

Not the dead guy.

Luddite
08-17-2010, 21:15

I've seen him twice and I've seen Skunk ape in the Everglades.

Sierra Echo
08-17-2010, 21:24
I've seen him twice and I've seen Skunk ape in the Everglades.

I was married to a yeti.

Jester2000
08-17-2010, 22:21

It was Baltimore Jack (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=943593&postcount=79). That found him, I mean.

Not the dead guy.

Well, you could ask Jack. I've heard him tell the story, and it did happen. The only part he probably won't include is which room it was.

Gray Blazer
08-17-2010, 23:31

My two youngest sons saw him several years ago near Buck Lake in ONF off the FT. I saw his footprints a coupla years ago on FT in Etoniah. I don't care what anyone says (Nearly Normal, one day you'll believe it when you see him unless you are too drunk. Big Foot and I put you to bed at the Hiker Bash).

The guy who got to me was the guy at Muskrat Creek Shelter who told me that no one told him the AT went up and down so much.

Luddite
08-18-2010, 11:35
I was married to a yeti.

I believe it.

Bare Bear
08-18-2010, 11:37
Please use proper syntex and nouns. Jack is not a Yeti although his cooking might taste Yeti-ish. Smile Jack.

Kerosene
08-18-2010, 13:50
Please use proper syntex and nouns.Syntex??? :D

Skidsteer
08-18-2010, 14:25
Syntex??? :D

The newest waterproof/breathable fabric.

Danielsen
08-18-2010, 16:31
Did I tell you all about my new syntex tent? It only weighs 5 oz. since it's a singlewall but it's so breathable that condensation is never a problem. It sleeps up to three, pretty roomy. Mine is just a prototype, but it should be on the shelves in a few months. It's made by campmor and should cost about 80 bucks.

Memphis Tim
08-18-2010, 19:52
A lot of AT shelters, springs, etc., have entrance and exit trails a few hundred feet apart. I hiked with a guy who refused use the exit and always backtracked up the entrance. I found this endlessly amusing.

DapperD
08-18-2010, 21:43
I was married to a yeti.It's funny because this is the second post I have read that you have written where you are venting to having been married to this man. Just remember, there are two sides to every story, and it isn't really in good taste to write on a public forum your disdain for your ex:(. Just Saying (I guess us guys just cannot escape the male-bashing wherever we may go):D

Gray Blazer
08-18-2010, 21:52
Syntex??? :D

That's sintax. Like a tax on sin.

Sarcasm the elf
08-18-2010, 22:00
It's funny because this is the second post I have read that you have written where you are venting to having been married to this man. Just remember, there are two sides to every story, and it isn't really in good taste to write on a public forum your disdain for your ex:(. Just Saying (I guess us guys just cannot escape the male-bashing wherever we may go):D

Male Bashing? I have been called Yeti by many people on many occasions and consider it a point of pride! (No, I have never been married to Sierra Echo, she was referring to a different yeti)

DapperD
08-18-2010, 22:28
Male Bashing? I have been called Yeti by many people on many occasions and consider it a point of pride! (No, I have never been married to Sierra Echo, she was referring to a different yeti)Just a touch of animosity:D:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1039906#post1039906

Tinker
08-18-2010, 23:03
Did I tell you all about my new syntex tent? It only weighs 5 oz. since it's a singlewall but it's so breathable that condensation is never a problem. It sleeps up to three, pretty roomy. Mine is just a prototype, but it should be on the shelves in a few months. It's made by campmor and should cost about 80 bucks.

Now there's one I don't believe - Campmor doesn't make anything to my knowledge. The spec stuff and have someone else manufacture it ;).

Tinker
08-18-2010, 23:05
Wonder if he was from Texas.. I hear it all the time here. If the news says there is any chance of rain, I know people who just will not go out.. "Well, its raining outside".. Then I look out and it is clear BLUE skies..LOL..They believe more on what they hear and not what they experiance or see..

Me?? I love hiking when its raining. Less people on the trail..

Graywolf
Me, too. No problems with rain here - fewer people on the trail.

Danielsen
08-18-2010, 23:07
Now there's one I don't believe - Campmor doesn't make anything to my knowledge. The spec stuff and have someone else manufacture it ;).

Haha I don't doubt that at all. I wonder who makes the 20 degree down bag I'll be getting?

Sarcasm the elf
08-19-2010, 00:55
Just a touch of animosity:D:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1039906#post1039906

Forget I said anything, I was just trying to protect the honor of us yeti's...;)

Dogwood
08-19-2010, 02:06
No matter what watered down softer easier to accept words we use to describe the practice, exaggeration, deception, misrepresentation, or lies most people lie. Hikers are no exception.

The more I long distance hike the more I find hikers who find it customary and acceptable to misrepresent their hikes or what the have hiked - easily 3 out of 5.

Sierra Echo
08-19-2010, 06:36
It's funny because this is the second post I have read that you have written where you are venting to having been married to this man. Just remember, there are two sides to every story, and it isn't really in good taste to write on a public forum your disdain for your ex:(. Just Saying (I guess us guys just cannot escape the male-bashing wherever we may go):D

You show me where there is any disdain in that sentence please. Yeti was his nickname.

Doctari
08-20-2010, 00:06
Sigh!!! :(

Yet another thread hijacked.

I thought I should put it in the Straight Forward section, didn't expect it to skew this bad this fast. No reason for me to not expect it, just disappointed is all, not the first one to go "South" so fast, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I think it's the last one though!!

Moderators please close / delete this thread!! It's just become another POINTLESS discussion of Yettis & wives & I'm tired of it all. :mad:

Goodbye!

Don't bother responding, I won't read it!

Ender
08-20-2010, 11:14
Closed per OP's request.