PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Mapsource Question

crazyonelost
08-17-2010, 18:34
I have this Garmin Mapsource Topomap system,which is a 3.02 version and everything works on the system except when downloading info from the Garmin Etrex GPS. It says it failed to download. I have tried to reset my settings and everything looks ok.

Is there anything else I can try to make this system works. This is the only Topo program I have that I know will work for my Etrex. I know the system is about 10 years old but wonders if I still can save it:-?

Thanks Ron

couscous
08-17-2010, 19:04
Can you download the info from your Garmin to your computer without using the MapSource program? If so, you maybe able to use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

crazyonelost
08-17-2010, 19:14
It should work cause it works on my Delorme Road map program. Great for marking exits, roads, and parking areas.

I am going to try the site you gave me and see if it will work.

couscous
08-17-2010, 19:15
Another option is to update your version of Mapsource (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209) - MapSource software version 6.16.2 as of June 21, 2010

medicjimr
08-17-2010, 22:00
Ron try updating through garmin both the GPS and software should work I will try to think of other issues in mean time I don't get here all the time so email me if questions

crazyonelost
08-18-2010, 19:54
Just got home and getting kids ready for the kids first day of school tomorrow. So i going to try and reboot the whole system again and try the updated version over the weekend. Thanks to dialup, which is soooo slow.

I tried using the gpsvisulizer program and haven't figured out how to work it into my mapsource program yet. I am kind of computer dummy on these kind of stuff.

Any more ideas? Money is tight right now,so I gotta stretch this program out as far as I can.

Wise Old Owl
08-19-2010, 22:48
what os are you using?

kayak karl
08-19-2010, 23:58
https://forums.garmin.com/index.php post question here

crazyonelost
08-20-2010, 16:54
Ok, not knowing much about computers and programming. What is an os? I am totally lost.

leaftye
08-20-2010, 17:07
What is an os?

When you start your computer it flashes a couple words on the screen about being some kind of Apple or Windows system. What exactly does it say?

Pringles
08-20-2010, 18:55
I have this Garmin Mapsource Topomap system,which is a 3.02 version and everything works on the system except when downloading info from the Garmin Etrex GPS. It says it failed to download. I have tried to reset my settings and everything looks ok.

Is there anything else I can try to make this system works. This is the only Topo program I have that I know will work for my Etrex. I know the system is about 10 years old but wonders if I still can save it:-?

Thanks Ron

I had a similar problem, and it turned out that I needed to let THEM (software and gizmo) id which comm or serial port THEY wanted to use. When you're setting up the transfer, there's a little drop down that says something like auto search, or, well, I don't remember. But, it might be that. It's easy to try, anyway. Good luck!

Pringles

perrito
08-20-2010, 19:03
When you start your computer it flashes a couple words on the screen about being some kind of Apple or Windows system. What exactly does it say?
You're a saint!

leaftye
08-20-2010, 19:16
I had a similar problem, and it turned out that I needed to let THEM (software and gizmo) id which comm or serial port THEY wanted to us. When you're setting up the transfer, there's a little drop down that says something like auto search, or, well, I don't remember. But, it might be that. It's easy to try, anyway. Good luck!

Pringles

Yeah, that's good to check out. It's also possible that your cable or port(s) died. That's a little hard to check unless you have extra cables and another computer with a serial port. I'm also having problems with my old Vista. It still works, but unfortunately I can't upload anything to it. That's what lead me to buying a new Garmin.

crazyonelost
08-21-2010, 17:26
I never thought of the usb cord going bad. I will try and check on the port and cable in a bit.