PDA

View Full Version : Southbound at the end of Aug!?

StStephen
08-18-2010, 15:16
hey everybody, how's it going? me and a buddy of mine have been planning a thru-hike for quite some time and recently things have kind of fallen together where we want to leave ASAP. The plan is to move southbound starting Aug 29th. I know this isn't anywhere near the traditional method of doing things and i also know this means winter and COLD temperatures...but it also means beauty and solitude. Most people i have talked to look at me like i am a nut job but what i am looking for on here are any opinions, knowledge, advise, suggestions, input, or some encouraging words on how to make this a successful trip. Is this a good idea? As much input as possible. One of the big questions i have been contemplating is shelter. i have my eno double wide hammock and am wondering with the proper set up and the use of trail side shelters when the weather was really bad or cold if it would suffice on this journey or if i am better off getting a tent or bivy sack? thanks guys!

DapperD
08-18-2010, 20:47
hey everybody, how's it going? me and a buddy of mine have been planning a thru-hike for quite some time and recently things have kind of fallen together where we want to leave ASAP. The plan is to move southbound starting Aug 29th. I know this isn't anywhere near the traditional method of doing things and i also know this means winter and COLD temperatures...but it also means beauty and solitude. Most people i have talked to look at me like i am a nut job but what i am looking for on here are any opinions, knowledge, advise, suggestions, input, or some encouraging words on how to make this a successful trip. Is this a good idea? As much input as possible. One of the big questions i have been contemplating is shelter. i have my eno double wide hammock and am wondering with the proper set up and the use of trail side shelters when the weather was really bad or cold if it would suffice on this journey or if i am better off getting a tent or bivy sack? thanks guys!I thought this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39687) had been good reading. He planned to leave in early October heading Southbound. Many advised against it. I guess when you plan to leave the weather will begin to be changing to cold. Don't know what Maine and the rest of the New England states will be like.:-?

Wombat Farm
08-18-2010, 21:57
Late August in NE can be quite cold at night. Be prepared for frost by early to the middle of Sept and even light snow at high elevation in NH. The days can be anywhere from 40-90 degrees in ME, NH and VT and even Mass in September. Expect less water on the trail as you get to Mass this time of the year.
I dont' think you're crazy...fall and winter are an excellent time of the year to get views you wouldn't otherwise see!

DapperD
08-18-2010, 22:00
Believe this thread is identicle to thread in Southbounders MEGA, reponses need to be tranfered to that.