PDA

View Full Version : Southbound at the end of Aug!?

StStephen
08-18-2010, 15:20
hey everybody, how's it going? me and a buddy of mine have been planning a thru-hike for quite some time and recently things have kind of fallen together where we want to leave ASAP. The plan is to move southbound starting Aug 29th. I know this isn't anywhere near the traditional method of doing things and i also know this means winter and COLD temperatures...but it also means beauty and solitude. Most people i have talked to look at me like i am a nut job but what i am looking for on here are any opinions, knowledge, advise, suggestions, input, or some encouraging words on how to make this a successful trip. Is this a good idea? As much input as possible. One of the big questions i have been contemplating is shelter. i have my eno double wide hammock and am wondering with the proper set up and the use of trail side shelters when the weather was really bad or cold if it would suffice on this journey or if i am better off getting a tent or bivy sack? thanks guys!

kayak karl
08-18-2010, 15:25
One of the big questions i have been contemplating is shelter. i have my eno double wide hammock and am wondering with the proper set up and the use of trail side shelters when the weather was really bad or cold if it would suffice on this journey or if i am better off getting a tent or bivy sack? thanks guys!
i ONLY hammock. you better learn about under and top quilts. your fine down below zero if you know what your doing.

bigcranky
08-18-2010, 15:48
Given the shorter day length as you get into winter, figure you'll be finishing up mid to late February. Not too bad, since you'll be in the South by New Year's Day or so. Be prepared for some snow and some cold temperatures, but the trail in the South is great in the winter -- few people, no bugs, and wonderful views from the ridge lines.

You'll get different responses on shelter. In the winter I like staying in the trail shelters. It's colder than using a tent, but much faster than setting up and breaking down a tent or tarp. Easier to get on the trail at first light that way. I do carry a tarp and a breathable bivy sack (not Goretex) -- the tarp in case I want or need to camp along the trail, and the bivy for extra warmth and weather protection for my down sleeping bag. The total shelter weight is less than 24 ounces. The trail shelters are almost always empty in the winter for some reason....

Hammocks are great, but Kayak Karl is right about learning how to use one in cold weather. I only hammock in the summer when I am solo (which isn't all that often), because I don't want to buy or carry everything I need to be warm in the winter. But yes, it can be done, and done well.

Llama Legs
08-18-2010, 16:03
That's exactly when I go, if I didn't have this pesky job and being a boss and all. Simple solution might be a Black Diamond Firstlight tent, freestanding and "breathable" - small footprint can be used in a shelter when it gets really cold.

Slo-go'en
08-18-2010, 17:20
I would also go with a gortex bivy sack and 8 X 10 tarp. For the most part, you will be staying in shelters. The bivy sack will give you a few extra degrees on your bag and keep it dry when rain/snow blows into the shelter. You can also use the trap to help block the wind. If you do have to camp trail side, you can still do that.

1azarus
08-18-2010, 19:28
i'm another vote for winter hammocking -- you'll find that many nights there won't be anyone but you and your friend in the shelter and you can just hang your hammock there. it is awfully nice not to get your tarp wet, to be out of the wind, and to have a faster setup. look for Martha "four leaf" here on WB -- she did a winter southbound and, well i hate to put words in her mouth, but i think she loved it.

1azarus
08-18-2010, 19:32
sorry, but had another thought for you. if you use any of the light weight inflatable pads for part of your hammock bottom insulation system you can always just sleep on the shelter floor as an option. if you're not a hardcore hammocker you may like having that flexibility.

StStephen
08-19-2010, 18:55
thanks everyone!...for under and top quilts, do i have to buy something specific or can i use small fleece blankets or what? can i use a bivy sack in my hammock as well?

kayak karl
08-19-2010, 19:05
thanks everyone!...for under and top quilts, do i have to buy something specific or can i use small fleece blankets or what? can i use a bivy sack in my hammock as well?
better get an underquilt for under, but a sleeping bag will work as over. if you don't want to invest the time and money into hammocking, ditch the idea now!

bigcranky
08-19-2010, 19:28
Small fleece blanket? Maybe to start, but you'll be getting pretty cold in the winter. You'll likely get some single digit temps even in the South.

Jacks R Better make quilts for hammockers. (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/)

kayak karl
08-19-2010, 20:33
Small fleece blanket? Maybe to start, but you'll be getting pretty cold in the winter. You'll likely get some single digit temps even in the South.

Jacks R Better make quilts for hammockers. (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/)
we had frost in august last year in maine. gets cold quick up there.
a lot of companies make quilts https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvWbt-Wt4RyTcFZHQzZTWXBON1dhOU5KSHJ0bFBqSEE&hl=en#gid=3
you will see single digits, but you can still get quilts, tarp and hammock below 5 lbs.
(https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvWbt-Wt4RyTcFZHQzZTWXBON1dhOU5KSHJ0bFBqSEE&hl=en#gid=3)

Anumber1
08-20-2010, 01:30
Just do it and you'll figure it out along the way. You're not nuts. Nuts is working in a crappy factory or something for 25+ years and never seeing the world.

StStephen
08-20-2010, 16:24
you guys rock, thanks. are moose gonna be a problem during the fall season? how much snow do you think i will actually see?

kayak karl
08-20-2010, 16:32
you guys rock, thanks. are moose gonna be a problem during the fall season? how much snow do you think i will actually see? it will be rutting season?:D
snow, you can see as much as 3 ft or none. we nor the weather people have a clue.

Nean
08-20-2010, 16:35
Last year we saw a lot. :eek:
Most late starters who made it w/o having to get off for awhile due to weather were avg. mid 20s the whole way and finished before Christmas.;)

Ironbelly
08-20-2010, 17:31
I am comtemplating a southbound thru as well around the same time frame(starting late august-mid sept) next year, is it worthwhile to pack snowshoes the whole way, or to have them mail droped later on? Or can you generally get by without them in most areas once winter really starts to hit?

Nean
08-20-2010, 17:34
I am comtemplating a southbound thru as well around the same time frame(starting late august-mid sept) next year, is it worthwhile to pack snowshoes the whole way, or to have them mail droped later on? Or can you generally get by without them in most areas once winter really starts to hit?

No, do not carry them the whole way. We didn't get bad snow until Dec. , well into Virginia.

jtbradyl
08-20-2010, 23:54
Watch out for hunters!

MuleDeer
08-21-2010, 00:42
I love the smokies in the winter. I do have to say though, i was on a trail right next to the AT on the TN NC border on jan 1 this year, I got cold in my 0 degree down bag and a neo air. Best guess was somewhere in the sub -10 range.

Keeping UL will definitely be an issue, but if taking a little longer is good for you then I cheer you on, have fun in the snow fellas!

MuleDeer
08-21-2010, 00:45
oh, and no gd bears. i hate bears. eat my water bottle for no reason.

StStephen
08-21-2010, 18:43
9 days until i leave...getting the rest of my gear in order...is a zero degree bag sufficient? of do i need something like a -10,-15?

Nean
08-21-2010, 18:47
9 days until i leave...getting the rest of my gear in order...is a zero degree bag sufficient? of do i need something like a -10,-15?
Last year I carried a worn out 35 w/ a liner I barely used and a ....:o dog.:D

takethisbread
08-21-2010, 19:13
I hiked through last years blizzard in January Febuary with a zero degree bag. It was too warm most every night. I was never cold. My bag is a go light brand. If dry, you will be fine. Not to mention the temps will be very warm fir most of your trip.

kayak karl
08-21-2010, 19:25
Last year I carried a worn out 35 w/ a liner I barely used and a ....:o dog.:D
but what if its a Three Dog Night???

bigcranky
08-21-2010, 19:57
The 0-F bag will be fine, but I'm not sure you'll need it before late October or November. If I were hiking in Maine starting now I'd want a good 20F bag with a full zip.

Nean
08-21-2010, 20:50
but what if its a Three Dog Night???

sing Joy to the World?:)

Mr Patti
08-22-2010, 22:27
I'm leaving for a southbound hike on august 30th. I'll see you around!

cindellasaurus
08-23-2010, 00:14
Mr. Patti! I believe we're departing the same day! How strannnnge! Hahaha!

Good luck StStephen! Perhaps Mr.Patti, myself and our other hiking comrade will run into you at some point!

StStephen
08-23-2010, 18:07
starting to get excited and anxious. and that's awesome, i hope i see you all out there!

Razamataz
02-09-2011, 17:02
I'm leaving August 13th with a friend, good to know we won't be alone!

Roland
02-09-2011, 21:10
I'm leaving August 13th with a friend, good to know we won't be alone!

You'll be a year behind 'em. This is an old thread.

You won't be alone, though. There will be plenty of north-bounders for the first month.

ScubaSteve
04-25-2011, 12:24
I'm planning on heading for a SOBO starting September 1st. Just throwing that out there, for others interested in doing the same or around the same time frame.

Papa D
04-25-2011, 19:34
Actually, I do not think that if you are an experienced backpacker and in really good shape an August SOBO is at all unreasonable - you need to move though and get out of the north woods and into the mid atlantic states by the end of september - that means start out with a few 10 mile days but plan on moving on to 20s pretty fast - hold that pace to NH which will slow you down a bit - pick it up and try to get to Bear Mtn NY by the end of September - you should have a nice October in PA and VA and then you are rolling the dice a bit on how early winter comes to the south - you will no doubt hit snow and wet in November in NC/TN and the smokies will be hard but you'll be tough by then - I think you could reasonably finish by mid December - I really like this plan - I've heard worse

pyroman9
04-26-2011, 21:54
hmmmmm its a very interesting concept.. now could i scrape up enough cash and be ready by this august? wonder if these guys made the AT.. they should be back by now.

I am much more preferential to a colder days - no bugs, less people, no over heating, ect....

so much to think about!