PDA

View Full Version : Insects from Aug 5th to Sep 5th?

drastic
08-18-2010, 21:37
I am planning an e2e for 8/5-9/5 time frame in 2011. I want to hammock it, and I am going as rustic/light as possible. Should I go ahead and buy a hammock with a bug net, or can I get away with a super basic hammock + light Sbag?

Obviously, I don't wanna be eaten alive as I try to get precious sleep - so how are the biting bugs this time of year typically? Any chance that I'll have avoided the mosquitoes etc this late in summer?

Thanks all - this is an incredible resource that I've stumbled across!

Wombat Farm
08-18-2010, 21:45
Depends on where you are but generally in the north there are NO bugs this time of year!!!! That's the best part of NE in the late summer. Although, be aware that if it is a wet year (this year would have been good for you to go) the mosquitos may still be running rampid. Good luck and enjoy!

NorthCountryWoods
08-19-2010, 07:52
Depends on where you are but generally in the north there are NO bugs this time of year!!!! That's the best part of NE in the late summer. Although, be aware that if it is a wet year (this year would have been good for you to go) the mosquitos may still be running rampid. Good luck and enjoy!

Wow that's a stretch. If you get a humid stretch, the mosquitoes can be bad anytime until the snow flies. Or you could get a dry, breezy month and run into very few.

Bring the bug net.

drastic
08-19-2010, 11:00
Roger that - I'd much rather be safe than sorry ;)

Wombat Farm
08-20-2010, 02:47
but would't you agree NCW...that the bugs are "generally" not bad this time of the year. I'm from NH and it's not much different than VT. If you need to worry about bugs in August, you may as well stay at home indoors. LOL

NorthCountryWoods
08-21-2010, 08:43
Well you don't have black flies, but mosquitoes can be the same depending on the weather. August is typically drier than June, but it starts to get cooler/wetter towards the end of the OPs time frame.

Even in a dry stretch, I doubt I'd do an e2e without some bug protection for sleeping.

kayak karl
08-21-2010, 09:29
why not buy a separate bug net and ship home when not needed.
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php