PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 4 AT books?

lobster
11-21-2004, 00:33
Good or bad points about any you have read:

1. "On the Beaten Path" by Rubin

2. "There are Mountains to Climb" by Deeds

3. "White Blaze Fever" by Schuette

4. "A Walk for Sunshine" by Alt

SavageLlama
11-21-2004, 00:59
Wow, you actually picked 4 books on the AT that I haven't read. But 2 of my favs are "Walking With Spring" by Earl Shaffer and "Blind Courage" by blind thru-hiker Bill Irwin.

FYI - there's a great AT book thread over in the Media forum:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10

kevin
11-21-2004, 01:06
The only one I've read on that list is "White Blaze Fever" and thought it was worth reading, but after about the first half of it, I was more reading to finish as it seemed a bit monotonous. However, I think if it was one of the first books I'd read on the AT I think I would have liked it a lot more.

One that I'd recommend is "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" by Model T (J.R. Tate). Its a long book and the "alter-ego" writing approach takes a while to get used to, but I really felt like I was a part of the trail experience.

Another one that I enjoyed and learned a lot about the trail from was "Walking the Appalachian Trail" by Larry Luxenberg.

Peaks
11-21-2004, 09:46
Every year there is another book or two authored by a thru-hiker. Everyone's hike is different, and so each book tells the story differently. I've got quite a collection of them, including Robert Rubin's. Haven't read the some of the others yet.

The initial post lists only four of the many books by thru-hikers. As others have pointed out, there are many more that deserve mention as good reads.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2004, 10:00
They're all basically the same. Just like AT slide shows." A Walk in the Woods" is the most readable.

Kerosene
11-21-2004, 11:04
The only one I've read on that list is "White Blaze Fever" and thought it was worth reading, but after about the first half of it, I was more reading to finish as it seemed a bit monotonous. However, I think if it was one of the first books I'd read on the AT I think I would have liked it a lot more.

One that I'd recommend is "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" by Model T (J.R. Tate). Its a long book and the "alter-ego" writing approach takes a while to get used to, but I really felt like I was a part of the trail experience.

Another one that I enjoyed and learned a lot about the trail from was "Walking the Appalachian Trail" by Larry Luxenberg.Ditto. I must be Kevin's long-lost twin brother.

MDSHiker
11-21-2004, 11:14
I've read both "On the Beaten Path" and "White Blaze Fever". I enjoyed both books and think they are worth reading for anyone interested in the AT.

illininagel
11-21-2004, 11:34
I've read both "On the Beaten Path" and "White Blaze Fever". I enjoyed both books and think they are worth reading for anyone interested in the AT.

I also read both "On the Beaten Path" and "White Blaze Fever." Although I thought both were worth reading, I enjoyed "On the Beaten Path" more. "White Blaze Fever" seemed too much like a trail journal to me.

weary
11-21-2004, 11:37
Robert Rubin's "On the Beaten Path" is the most readable account of an almost thru hike I've read. (if you read carefully, you'll note some skips). Unlike most AT books Rubin is a professional writer and editor and it shows in his account of his months on the trail. Rubin captures well the many moods and the many special moments of a thru hike.

The only trail book I enjoyed more was the "Appalachian Trail Reader," a book of essays edited by David Emblidge and published by the Oxford University Press in 1996. It's a book that can be read from cover to cover, or just scanned. Regardless of one's mood something of interest can be found. Where else, for instance, can you read about Donna and Dick Satterlie who thru hiked in 1978. On September 28, 1978 Donna climbed Katahdin 7 1/2 months pregnant. Their daughter, born 26 years ago last week was named "Georgia Maine."

I found Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" professionally written and amusing in places, but I had the impression that the book was more a product of library research than trail experiences. You meet many fascinating people on a long distance hike. Bryson, somehow, missed them all. Instead he recounts alleged experiences with a couple of imagined stereotypes.

Weary

The Solemates
11-21-2004, 18:13
On the beaten Path is good, although the credibility of the author is hard to grasp since he didnt actually hike the trail, but gathered stories from people who did. I know Robert has has plenty of trail experience, however, since he works for the ATC as editor. Ive actually talked to him about his book and he has plenty of head knowledge of the AT, but less experience. Actually though, I think he just resigned or something according the latest ATN. Maybe he'll hike soon. Overall, 3 outta 5 stars.

There are Mountains to Climb is also pretty good. My wife likes it because Indiana Jean is an older lady who succeeded at what was supposed to be impossible for a 50-something lady hiking by herself. Overall, 3.5 outta 5 stars.

Ive never read White Blaze Fever.

A Walk for Sunshine was also a decent read. It spent time talking about the charity he is walking for, which is a noble cause, but I would have liked to see more about the trail. Overall, 3 outta 5 stars.

In no way would I recommend Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods. I couldnt even finish the thing it was so bad.

Although it is not a memoir and is a little outdated, but favorite book on the AT is Mueser's Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail. I also like Hiking the Triple Crown : Appalachian Trail - Pacific Crest Trail - Continental Divide Trail - How to Hike America's Longest Trails by Karen Berger. I also heard Model T's book is great, although I have not read it (yet).

weary
11-21-2004, 18:50
On the beaten Path is good, although the credibility of the author is hard to grasp since he didnt actually hike the trail, but gathered stories from people who did. I know Robert has has plenty of trail experience, however, since he works for the ATC as editor. Ive actually talked to him about his book and he has plenty of head knowledge of the AT, but less experience. Actually though, I think he just resigned or something according the latest ATN. Maybe he'll hike soon. Overall, 3 outta 5 stars.
One of us is confused and I think it's Solemates. The jacket of my copy reports "with eloquence and humor, he (Rubin) recounts his trek -- the people he met, the landscapes he passed through, the spiritual and endurance involved (despite a diet heavy in Snickers bars and macaroni & cheese, he lost 75 pounds along the way).

The book itself has a series of critical waypoints, beginning on Day 1, April 1, 1997 on Springer Mountain and ending 194 days later on October 11 on Katahdin. I think he bypassed a bit of the Mahoosucs. His account is confusing. But I think he completed as much of the trail as most thru hikers in 1997.

Weary

The Solemates
11-21-2004, 19:04
Hmm...I thought the author went on several week-long trips just to get stories from thru-hikers. Maybe I am confusing it with another book Ive read. I dont have it in front of me, but I will check it out when I get home.

A-Train
11-21-2004, 20:59
Hmm...I thought the author went on several week-long trips just to get stories from thru-hikers. Maybe I am confusing it with another book Ive read. I dont have it in front of me, but I will check it out when I get home.

Maybe you're refering to "A season on the Appalachian Trail" by Lyne Setzer.
He did NOT hike the trail, but hiked sections of it and did a lot of research from towns and road acessible areas. Good read.

The only one on that list of 4 I've read is the Alt book. The charity is noble, and he had some interesting adventures, but I thought the writing itself was painfully bad.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2004, 22:06
Lynn Setzer is a woman and she didn't hike at all.

weary
11-21-2004, 22:07
He did NOT hike the trail, but hiked sections of it and did a lot of research from towns and road acessible areas. Good read. .

I believe the author is female. It's a very good book, but not an account of a thru hike; just a series of interviews, which captured part of the mystique of a thru hike, as A-Train points out. Her's is a far more accurate account of the trail than Bill Bryson's story.

But Robert Rubin remains by far my favorite of the personal trail books.

Weary

Lilred
11-21-2004, 22:27
I just finished reading 'ON the Beaten Path' and thought it was very good. Well worth the read. I would also highly recommend the book "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery". Model-T writes a very funny and entertaining story of one of his three thru-hikes. He also is currently writing another AT book. This one will be entitled, "Lores, Legends, and Outright Lies". It will be more of a history about the AT and the trail towns around it. I couldn't put his first book down and am eager to get my hands on this one when he finishes. I had the pleasure of doing an overnight backpack trip with him and some others from TTA last weekend and he kept us entertained with stories from his new book.

You can get a copy of the book at www.modelt.net

Jaybird
11-22-2004, 09:15
"On the Beaten Path" was good...

i tend to enjoy the books by authors that have actually hiked the trail or several trails....their words have a sense of "experience".

my favorite A.T. book(s) are: Model T's "Walkin' On the Happy Side of Misery" & Bill Irwin's "Blind Courage"

I also enjoy Shaffer's "Walking with Spring" :D

Thanks for the PLUG for Model T's website (http://www.modelt.net) LilRedMg!

The Solemates
11-22-2004, 10:29

Thats the one...my bad. Got em confused.

Lugnut
11-22-2004, 10:53
[QUOTE=weary]I believe the author is female.

Lynn Setzer is a male. Just has one of those dual use names.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2004, 11:31
Hey Lugnut, have you met Lynn? I have. SHE interviewed me at Neel's Gap the year SHE was gathering info for HER book. Most definately a lady. Just a little FYI. :)

weary
11-22-2004, 11:35
Lynn Setzer is a male. Just has one of those dual use names.
Quick, someone tell "his" publisher, Menasha Ridge Press, who in a plug for "his" books writes:

MEET OUR AUTHORS
Lynn Setzer
Lynn Setzer spent 14 years as a technical writer and publications manager in the software industry. Today she is a member of the faculty at North Carolina State University where she teaches technical writing to engineering and business students. When not in the classroom, Lynn writes travel stories for the Raleigh News and Observer and consults with high-technology companies about their publication requirements. She is an avid hiker, cyclist and sea-kayaker.

Books by author
• A Season on the Appalachian Trail
• 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Raleigh
• Great Adventures in North Carolina

Weary

Spirit Walker
11-22-2004, 12:05
I think you're confusing Lynn Setzer, who is a writer, with Lynne Weldon, who makes hiking films, including one on lightweight backpacking, How to Hike the AT, How to Hike the PCT and How to Hike the CDT and a few more. The writer is female, the cinematographer is male.

I really enjoyed Lynn Setzer's book as well as Larry Luxemburg's. Both give a really good idea of what it is like to hike the AT without being actual journal-type books. Of the actual journal type books, I liked Model T's the best, as I thought it really was true to life in a lot of ways. The Rodale books were good too. They have dozens of stories from the early days of thruhiking. You may be able to find them in a library. Bryson was good in the beginning, then very boring.

weary
11-22-2004, 12:34
The September-October issue of "Blue Ridge Country" has a photo of two people and a motorcycle. The caption says the people are Lynn Setzer and "her" husband, Randall Washington. The motorcycle is said to be "old" but no sex is listed.

Weary

Lugnut
11-22-2004, 22:10
You got me! I was thinking of Lynn Weldon. I've got to quit thinking! :o

Rain Man
11-23-2004, 10:54
... The Rodale books were good too. ...

The Rodale books? I'm intrigued. What are they?
:sun
Rain Man

Mini-Mosey
11-23-2004, 11:06
"There are Mountains to Climb": Outstanding book!!!! I loved how she wrote about her inner thoughts and feelings on her hike. And very inspirational.

"A Walk for Sunshine": Very good, well-written. Especially interesting to me since I love the idea of doing a hike for a cause. And it includes tips on how to execute a charity hike.

Sleepy the Arab
11-24-2004, 20:32
Hiking the Appalachian Trail Vol I and Vol II, edited by James R. Hare and put out by Rodale press (1977). Very good books and very out of print. I found mine on barnesandnoble.com's out of print department for about $100. Many entries are logs of thru-hikers, but some detail the pivotal hikes in early AT history: Grandma Gatewood, Dorothy Laker and Ed Garvey. I almost wish there was a third and fourth volume for the '80's and '90's.

lobster
11-25-2004, 13:27
Sleepy,

Yes, those are very good reading. I got them from my local library.

hacksaw
11-25-2004, 16:45
Being somewhat akin to authors of books (still wannabe as far as my own ambitions go) I believe I have either read, reviewed or read professional reviews of most if not all of the books collectively mentioned in this thread. I detect some very astute readers in our midst, and can't say as I totally agree or disagree with any reasonable review I've read here.
(Please understand that my use of the descriptive "reasonable" is 100% subjective, and I was the only and final judge of the application of the word, so you are completely free to disagree).

Hacksaw