PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the memories

ffstenger
11-21-2004, 08:12
Section hiking the AT, has become stress relief therapy for me from my busy
home life and stressed-out-to-the-MAX job. When I'm not hiking, I'm planning
my next hike, and White Blaze has become a valuable tool for me. I want to thank everyone who posts the amazing and wonderful pictures here for me to
enjoy and remember when I was there or look foreward to where Im going!
The quality and composition of most of the pictures here remarkable. So, thanks to everyone, Showme "thru hiker someday"

Jaybird
11-21-2004, 08:52
ffstenger

Welcome! I, too, am a section hiker & "wanna-be" thru-hiker...but, that sressfull thing we call a "JOB" keeps me from dropping everything for 6 months for my "walk in the woods."

i, too, have learned loads here on WhiteBlaze.net, & met many of the wonderful hikers in person from time to time &, like you, i enjoy the photos most of all....as i get to look foward to the day i get to "experience" those scenes in-person.

good luck in yer hikes! :D

Palmer
11-21-2004, 09:05
This is a wonderful site. I visit at least once a day, usually more often. I've got six long years before I can get time to hit the trail; this site and the people on it make the wait bearable.:)

Lilred
11-21-2004, 09:18
I have to concur with the others. Whiteblaze has been a wealth of information for me. I knew absolutely nothing about hiking the first time I logged onto this site. If it hadn't been for Whiteblaze, I'm sure I would have been one of those hikers dropping cast iron skillets on the approach trail :jump :jump

This site has taught me how to minimize my weight while keeping a comfort level that appeals to me. I've learned how to make an alcohol stove, LNT ethics, what to do in the case of a bear encounter, proper etiquette at shelters, and a ton of other stuff, too much to mention. Thanks to all those wise individuals who take the time to share their knowledge, and MUCH THANKS to ATTROLL, for keeping this site going. :clap :clap :clap

And as for memories, I haven't been on a whole lot of the AT yet, but I do get a smile when I see a pic of where I've been. The pics here are great quality. I use them as my wallpaper for my desktop, interchanging them as I find yet another beautiful shot of the AT.

walkin' wally
11-21-2004, 13:02
All of the above comments work for me.

Four years and change before I get to attempt a thru-hike. Love the section hiking and meeting the folks at Whiteblaze. Met some real nice trail people at the Caratunk gathering this year and on the sections I have done so far.

I can't wait to drop that three letter word... J O B :bse

Hammock Hanger
11-21-2004, 18:08
, I'm sure I would have been one of those hikers dropping cast iron skillets on the approach trail :jump :jump

Oh no, you MUST keep the iron skillet!!! It is most valuable on the AT!!:bse
LOL!

As one of the beginining members I am glad that you and others have found it to be a valuable tool for planning your hikes, be they long or short.

And ATTroll and Sgt Rock are great for keeping it going when it almost got ditched.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

Hikerhead
11-21-2004, 19:14
This has been the most enjoyable site for me. I wish I had this resource before I bought a lot of my first gear. The first stove I carried was a monster made by Coleman. It must have weighed 5 lbs. The first pack I bought was a monster from Ospry, The Motherload...7400 cubic inches, about 9 lbs and I bought extra pockets for it. Lordy, I needed room to carry my candle lantern hehe. I needed a big pack cause all of my stuff was big and heavy. My first overnighter with this pack I think it weighed 55lbs. But, before this site I thought you just bought everything at Walmart. Wow, what I know now. My pack now weighs around 35 lbs.

The people I've hike with from this site have all been the best and I've learned something from everyone of them. They being Hammock Hanger, Kerosene, DebW. I learned from Hammock Hanger what joy a Hammock can bring. I also learned about Alcohol stoves from her plus so many other things to get my pack weight down.

DebW is the master of making light weight equipment. If I could master a sewing machine I would try to make some of the things she's made. She;s also taught me how to hang my food bag. I know that sounds stupid but seeing the different ways she can hang a bag is one of those little things that will make my hiking a little easier for me from now on.

Kerosene and those light weight camp shoes and that sweet lightweight tent of his. I know I wouldn't have been able to do Ga in 5 days if I didn't have him to chase down every day.

And Uncle Wayne, just a hell of a nice guy.

I can't forget Blueberry. I had the pleasure of Trail Angleing her around Roanoke when she came by on her Thru Hike. I helped her out but damn I had a good time doing it.

Before WB there was Wingfoot and another site, Around the Campfire or Campfire something. When that last one suddenly disappeared, Easy started this. I know Easy had his faults, but damn I have never laughed any harder at some of his stuff and we should all keep in mind that without him, this might not never had came about. And thank goodness Attroll and Rock were there when things got bad.

Like mentioned in the above post, I really like seeing pics of the places I've been. The memories come a flowing.

My advise to any newbies. Hook up with someone that has experience. You will learn so much. If there's a hiking club in your area, go do some group hikes with them. I just did one today and had a great time. And turn in to Whiteblaze.net.

Now I need to go find a hankie......peace out :jump

SGT Rock
11-21-2004, 19:38
Actually Around the Campfire is on my site. It is still there. It just doesn't get the kind of traffic that Whiteblaze does.

Hikerhead
11-21-2004, 21:23
I do believe that was the name of the site. If not, it was very similiar to Around the Campfire. I don't know how long yours has been online.

Maybe Hammock Hanger can help me out on this, I first met her on that site.

What was the name of that site HH?

SGT Rock
11-22-2004, 08:09
Mine has been on-line in various forms since about 2000.

jlb2012
11-22-2004, 09:00
I do believe that was the name of the site. If not, it was very similiar to Around the Campfire. I don't know how long yours has been online.

Maybe Hammock Hanger can help me out on this, I first met her on that site.

What was the name of that site HH?

I remember the one that you are probably thinking of but I thought the name was something like "AT Basecamp".

SGT Rock
11-22-2004, 09:13
Yes, AT Basecamp was a good board that filled a void aftr one of TrailPlace's shut downs. But the guy running it closed it to thru-hike.

Hammock Hanger
11-22-2004, 09:49
AT Basecamp is where I met Hikerhead... Sue/HH

Hikerhead
11-22-2004, 19:07
Yap, that's it. Sorry about that Rock.