PDA

View Full Version : bibles

C Seeker
08-20-2010, 08:26
I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks:)

Hikes in Rain
08-20-2010, 08:39
Lots of good stories there! But as you've noted, it's a pretty massive volume. I've inherited a number of them, and even the smallest, on paper so thin I have to be careful turning the pages and with type so tiny I need reading glasses over my multi-focal contacts (might be a commentary on the state of my eyes!), it's still maybe 6 x 7 inches, and three or so thick. (Note those dimensions are from memory)

One option to explore might be a Kimble or other electronic reader. Trade-offs there, too, with weight and power issues.

I don't know if this is even available, but do you think you could find separate New and Old T estimates, so that you'd only need to carry "half" at a time? I assume you've haunted your local Bible stores?

couscous
08-20-2010, 08:42
Lightest version is electronic if you have a phone/pda that will run an app.
After that it comes down to how small can the font be for you to still read it.
The smallest one I've personally seen is my 55-year-old King James Version.
I have a NASB that's also under 5oz, probably similar to this one (http://www.amazon.com/NASB-Pocket-Bible-Thomas-Nelson/dp/0529061678).
I'll have to get mine on the postal scale and measure their dimensions.

D'Artagnan
08-20-2010, 09:26
What I've found works best for me is a New Testament that is about the size of a wallet-style checkbook. It fits great in your shirt pocket (or side pocket of your pack) and fits neatly in a Zip-Loc bag to keep it dry. Granted, you'll need to find something similar for the OT, but I find the NT more applicable to my daily life and it's usually what I carry.

scope
08-20-2010, 09:33
Are you planning on mail stops, bump boxes? You know, most bibles are heavy due to the cover and number of pages, but the pages are typically pretty thin. You might not have the stomach for this, but I'd get one cheap and tear the pages out. Then only take what you need until the next mail stop.

kayak karl
08-20-2010, 09:48
Are you planning on mail stops, bump boxes? You know, most bibles are heavy due to the cover and number of pages, but the pages are typically pretty thin. You might not have the stomach for this, but I'd get one cheap and tear the pages out. Then only take what you need until the next mail stop.
some people cringe at that, but good idea.
the bible can be bought in loose leaf form.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=HcS&rlz=1R1GCNV_en&&sa=X&ei=JoduTL7_BYW0lQfgnJGrDw&ved=0CCIQvwUoAQ&q=loose+leaf+bible&spell=1

you can mail back each section when you pick up next. the Bible will still be complete when you get home.

Dancer
08-20-2010, 09:54
One option to explore might be a Kimble or other electronic reader. Trade-offs there, too, with weight and power issues.

The Amazon Kindle (or the B&N Nook or the Sony Reader) is a good choice because you can take the bible and literally hundreds of other books of your choice. The Kindle also bosts a battery charge that last a month with average use (not sure what that is). You can also subscribe to newspapers, magazines and blogs that get delivered to your device.

I have been researching one of these for my hiking. Good luck.

Mountain Wildman
08-20-2010, 10:00
I bought this Bible, 4 1/2" X 6" X 1 1/8" and weighs 14.5 ounces.
I've already read the Bible from cover to cover but want to read through again, It's just so heavy, Almost an extra pound and my pack weight is already at 35 lbs. I am looking for a lighter option also.
Probably post this one on e-bay, and keep looking for a lighter version.

SMSP
08-20-2010, 10:12
You memorize it, then just recite as you go, I'm just saying.

SMSP

halftime
08-20-2010, 10:15
I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks:)

:welcomeHave you considered an audio bible uploaded to iPod (or similar device)? Would be lighter and could have multiple use....also you could listen while you hike...good luck. http://www.bibleplayer.com

Spokes
08-20-2010, 10:25
There were plenty (like boxes full) of small New testament bibles left at various shelters down South last year.

couscous
08-20-2010, 10:59
Using an audio Bible is a great idea, but if you simply start with audio CDs - it can be challenging to get all the separate audio files to follow some predetermined sequence. Case in point I have the NASB on CD (http://www.biblebible.com/audio-bible/NASB-Bible-Audio-CD.asp) which has 1189 audio tracks (one per chapter) on 60 CDs which take up 3.97gb. I named each CD/album in sequence - NASB Audio Bible-01, NASB Audio Bible-02, etc. - made sure each track # was in sequence - named each track as the book:chapter - sorted by Album by Artist - and created a playlist with all 1189 tracks that could be synced to my iPod Touch. Took some work.

10-K
08-20-2010, 10:59

For some reason I don't think God would mind under the circumstances. It's all about intent. :)

kayak karl
08-20-2010, 11:08

SMSP
Fahrenheit 451:-?

Mountain Wildman
08-20-2010, 11:35
I think this may be the smallest: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0529058383

Now I just have to find someone who has it in stock.

jeepcachr
08-20-2010, 11:38
Using an audio Bible is a great idea, but if you simply start with audio CDs - it can be challenging to get all the separate audio files to follow some predetermined sequence. Case in point I have the NASB on CD (http://www.biblebible.com/audio-bible/NASB-Bible-Audio-CD.asp) which has 1189 audio tracks (one per chapter) on 60 CDs which take up 3.97gb. I named each CD/album in sequence - NASB Audio Bible-01, NASB Audio Bible-02, etc. - made sure each track # was in sequence - named each track as the book:chapter - sorted by Album by Artist - and created a playlist with all 1189 tracks that could be synced to my iPod Touch. Took some work.
Bibles in many translations can be bought in MP3 format and easily copied to a mp3 player. You don't have to go through the work of ripping and appropriately naming CD's. I've tried listening to the Bible and I generally lose attention after a chapter or 2. One advantage could be that you can listen while you walk, that would be difficult to do while reading.

The lightest smallest, most readable, is going to be some kind of electronic device. Even if you have to combine a phone with some kind of solar charger or extra batteries your probably still going to be lighter than a whole Bible.

There are lots of lightweight pocket size New Testaments out there but the old testament is much larger and harder to do that with.

Are you planning to go cover to cover in the order it's laid out or follow some other type of reading plan like in chronological order?

C Seeker
08-20-2010, 11:54
Thank you everyone how gave a answer...i'm looking into the loose leaf bible. I like to see the words instead of hearing the words. I also have a tendisy of tuning out noise. But it isn't Xed of my list yet of what to get.

jeepcachr
08-20-2010, 12:06
I've also seen Ipod sized devices at my local christian bookstore that are electronic Bibles. They aren't back lit and only have a black and white screen. I would think the battery life has to be pretty good on those and they are way cheaper than a Nook or a Kindle if all your looking for is the Bible.

Something similar to this- http://www.amazon.com/KingNeed-TB-002-Electronic-Bible-KJV/dp/B000CQYFX0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0 though I know I've seen smaller ones.

Hikes in Rain
08-20-2010, 12:22
You may have already realized this, christseeker, but the electronic versions (Kimble and others) are actually electronic books that you read, not listen to. Your post led me to think you might believe otherwise.

I prefer the old analog words-on-paper, as well. I can read electronic versions just fine, but I like the tactile feel of the paper, the weight of the book, the smell, especially if it's an old book.....Those aren't ones I'd take to the woods, however.

The Old Fhart
08-20-2010, 14:11
One source of the Bible in electronic form, both audio and written word, is Olive Tree Bible Software (http://www.olivetree.com/). I used a version of the written word KJV on my HP100LX in 1998. Olive Tree has a great search engine if you want to find specific words or topics. Some versions are free as well.

couscous
08-20-2010, 15:01
...on my HP100LX in 1998.

The 100 .. a result of HP's "Cougar" project. I still have the HP95LX .. which still works fine after 19 years. When I took my 95LX to COMDEX in 1992, it was the first time the HP Engineers had ever seen one with the letters on the keys worn off from heavy usage.
~ Sorry, way off task. Hopefully nobody will mention generating punch cards for Job Control Language on an IBM 370 or I'll REALLY get distracted.
~ Ok, back on task. Just FYI there are Waterproof Bibles (http://www.christianoutdoorsman.com/catalog/Waterproof-Bibles/c53/index.html) - 8.7 x 5.9 x 1.3

leaftye
08-20-2010, 17:20
Mormon missionaries should be able to hook you up with tiny King James Bible's with the New and Old Testament in separate books. I think I have some around the house. I can measure them, but I may not be able to offer an accurate weight. Let me know.

T-Dubs
08-20-2010, 17:32

SMSP

I think I saw that movie recently....

http://www.fandango.com/thebookofeli_119855/movieoverview

SMSP
08-20-2010, 17:43
Yeah, that was a good movie too!

SMSP

kayak karl
08-20-2010, 18:34
I think I saw that movie recently....

http://www.fandango.com/thebookofeli_119855/movieoverview

NO. Fahrenheit 451 by ray bradbury. at the end when all the books are burned people walk around and memorize books. good read and good movie

Stir Fry
08-20-2010, 21:04
[QUOTE=jeepcachr;1041685]Bibles in many translations can be bought in MP3 format and easily copied to a mp3 player. You don't have to go through the work of ripping and appropriately naming CD's. I've tried listening to the Bible and I generally lose attention after a chapter or 2. One advantage could be that you can listen while you walk, that would be difficult to do while reading.

I put the bible on my Ipod and mixed it with songs. Mite here 2 chapters in a row then a song or two the a verse. Worked for me and kept me intrested.

Sierra Echo
08-20-2010, 22:17
http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/product.asp?isbn=0310615755

LIfeway sells compact Bibles that have both the old and new testaments. The print is very small, but if you got good eyesight then this would be perfect.

Tinker
08-20-2010, 22:48
Christ Seeker: Just a word from someone who is old but still seeking: learn your "Old Testament". As a Christian it wasn't until I met a former Jewish (well, still Jewish by birth) man who stressed the importance of knowing the books before Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I used to think that Christianity is a religion separate from Judaism. Quite the contrary. Christianity was never intended to end (or replace) Judaism, but to build on it. The 12 apostles were Jews who followed a Jewish Rabbi, Jesus (Y'shua, since there was no such name as "Jesus" at the time of his birth). They were first called Christians by others outside of the Church. Much of the New Testament scripture is composed of scriptures quoted from the "Old" and explained by the writer, much as a modern day Rabbi would expound on scripture.

C Seeker
08-21-2010, 09:30
Thank you everyone for posting a comment. I learned so many new types of bibles.

Ol Mole
08-22-2010, 07:11

A good pack bible is hard to find, but they are out there if you search for it. I have a 6x4x4 zipper KJV that has been with me on the trail for many years. I suggest that you begin reading the Bible thru as you prepare for your thru hike and take it with you. You will be surprised at how it will affect your outlook for the coming hike.

Happy trails.

Bucherm
08-24-2010, 01:24
I gotta be honest, the idea of reading through The Law for "fun" whilst traipsing about the mountains is not appealing. I strongly suspect you may find yourself skipping large portions of the Bible right about the time you are instructed not to wear polycotton(which of course clashes with what every good hiker knows...don't wear cotton period! :p ).

Why not another book? I don't specifically mean a non-religious book, just that there are others out there were large sections aren't mindbogglinig tedious.

couscous
08-24-2010, 09:53
I remembered to take a picture and do some weighing over the weekend.
Being nearsighted I have to take my glasses off to read either of them, but they both contain the old and new testaments.
http://www.twchikers.com/mta/bibles.jpg

Mountain Wildman
08-24-2010, 10:29
Couscous,
Can you tell me who the publisher of the KJV is, My KJV by Holman is 18 oz.
I like 4.6 oz. much more!!
Thanks!!
MW

The Solemates
08-24-2010, 11:44
we did this same thing. i took my postal scale to the store with me, picked out the lightest version (which happened to be new living translation around 6 oz), but i decided to go with the lightest NIV, which was around 7 ounces. we read through cover to cover during our thru. it was great!

leaftye
08-24-2010, 18:54
Holy moly, check these out:
http://www.ismenio.com/tn_Miniature%20Bible%205.jpg

Better pictures are available here about 2/3rd's of the way down.
http://www.ismenio.com/bibles.html

flemdawg1
08-24-2010, 19:10
i Use this one.
http://www.amazon.com/NIV-Backpack-Bible-52-Luke/dp/0310714176/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282690986&sr=1-3

couscous
08-24-2010, 19:33
Couscous,
Can you tell me who the publisher of the KJV is...

It was printed by Collins Clear Type Press, London & New York, but that was 55 years ago and I've been unable to find any mention of it online. I did find a smaller / lighter version for people with 100x vision. Micro Bible (http://www.greatscopes.com/slides.htm#microbible)

Mountain Wildman
08-24-2010, 20:16
It was printed by Collins Clear Type Press, London & New York, but that was 55 years ago and I've been unable to find any mention of it online. I did find a smaller / lighter version for people with 100x vision. Micro Bible (http://www.greatscopes.com/slides.htm#microbible)

Thank You!!
I'll do some research on Collins Clear, My eyesight is not good enough to use a Micro Bible!!:eek:

IronGutsTommy
08-27-2010, 00:37
just talk with Him directly, He is always up for a good convo. otherwise theres really small sectional versions that are ultralight if ur eyes are good

warraghiyagey
08-27-2010, 00:56

SMSP
This is how I've done it. . . I've memorized the length of the new testament and almost half the books of the old testament and I just draw from whatever book I need as I hike. . . hope you have wonderful hike. . .

IronGutsTommy
08-27-2010, 01:11
the ray bradbury book was classic, that and Orwells 1984. not on topic, sorry.

Rain Man
08-27-2010, 08:03
Any suggestions? Thanks:)

I agree with the post about separating the books, just as you might a guidebook or set of maps. "The Bible" is composed of numerous books, as I recall, 39 in the OT and 27 in the NT. Get a paperback copy of whatever version/interpretation suits you and run by Kinkos and have them slice off the spine. Then take Genesis with you to Springer and mail the rest to yourself in your drop boxes as you hike along the trail. No problem with weight to speak of and no problem going blind trying to read ridiculously small print.

Best to you.

Rain:sunMan

MisterSweetie
08-28-2010, 17:40
Here's one solution: Find a small bible with quality binding - It will be sewn together. Take the cover off and carefully disassemble it. This will leave you with each little section (use this picture as a reference: http://www.thimble.ca/images/bookbinding1.jpg ) that are all the same size. So now you can bounce them, but instead of keeping individual books for certain time periods, you will know exactly how many pages you have, and so you will have some idea how long it'll take you to read through them, allowing you to plan much better.

C Seeker
09-21-2010, 07:23
I like the idea of taking a scale to the store to weigh books, and also doing mail drops along the way. Thank you everyone for you post I now have a idea of all the types of bibles out there.

mweinstone
09-21-2010, 07:48
id like to show how this site disallows free speech to an exstent that drives away all hope of growing larger and attracting vairied attractees.but that isnt cool. but it would be so easy useing this thread as an example. im shocked living in america the things ya cant say in the places ya cant. i mean theirs a world of understanding outside of closed minds. if only it were cool to be free. we are not free anymore in this country. i would speak of the bibles uses in emergencys and of the worthyness of carrying a full size one. but then i would want to point out all the reasons i like my bible and not others. and that might lead to wanting to compare doctorial litteretures survival gear propertys as they relate to kosher and hillal food laws and the ideas that books can be used in many ways. but that would be to insult my friends who made this site. and id rather keep liveing in a slightly off white blazed world than a world devoid of even dwindeling freedoms. my biblke makes itself magicly into :a cutting board, table, candle holder, fly swater,notebook,compass,emergency food and drink,headlamp,map,blanket,pack,mom,dad,kitchen sink. and i do belive in freedom. im just really grumpy.

mweinstone
09-21-2010, 07:57
i once killed a guy with my bible. i know its against the sites rules to speak of crime but i was released from the cop station 2 hours after the incedent and not charged and it was declared self defence with no trial or even a phone call after. i had to kill a guy in a doorway who stabbed me and i did it by smashing my hardbound wm tyndale bible down so hard on his head he broke and died. his name was matthew claude weinstone and he stabbed me in my heart so i couldnt feel love. but i killed him and now im alive and hes dead. its a wonderfull feeling. i belive in carrying a bible.

mweinstone
09-21-2010, 08:03
baltimore jack tarlin will be here in two hours. thats pritty cool. jester wake up and call in sick to yourself then ask yourself for the day off as i have then come to me my jestorial humanasist.

oh lingering breath of my last hike. oh sorrow of mashed with garlic gone by. oh calender helkel me not. my trail is mine. snot is snot.

i am matthewski an when i say stuff,......well.............ya member simon bar sinister? well,...when he said stuff stuff happened. you will obay the will of matthewski.

bible bart is a philly street artist who lives out of a small pack and walks the streets and has a bible the size of a phone book.it stops bullits he says.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2010, 08:14
mania is cool huh matty?

Chenango
09-21-2010, 10:45
we did this same thing. i took my postal scale to the store with me, picked out the lightest version (which happened to be new living translation around 6 oz), but i decided to go with the lightest NIV, which was around 7 ounces. we read through cover to cover during our thru. it was great!

Perhaps you should put the OT and NT on an MP3 player.

4eyedbuzzard
09-21-2010, 11:51
mania is cool huh matty?
LOL (yeah, I know - too short a reply)

stranger
09-21-2010, 23:35
Why don't you pray for the ideal Bible...it will come to you, if it does not, it's how God wanted it

Shutterbug
09-22-2010, 11:12

I use the Outdoor Bible -- http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Bible-American-Standard-Testament/dp/097701696X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285168176&sr=8-1

I carry only one section at a time and swap it out when I have finished. It is waterproof and fits easily in the map compartment of my pack.

jeepcachr
09-23-2010, 18:38
I use the Outdoor Bible -- http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Bible-American-Standard-Testament/dp/097701696X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285168176&sr=8-1

I carry only one section at a time and swap it out when I have finished. It is waterproof and fits easily in the map compartment of my pack.

I have one but it's to heavy for me to carry. I've got one on my phone that I carry any way.

mweinstone
09-23-2010, 18:51
my bible is prime. its cover is huge. the pages screem with horsepower. inside i keep the champions of all my battles. ah,...heres moses. hes a stout fellow with a staff. i belive dances with mice may have made mine and smittys in this fashion. and heres the old lady with the 2 mits. wow. shes cool. dont let her old fool you. my bible is a pound of flesh and a pint of water and sits shotgun up front by my willdriver. when i need a slap. i got a nice heavy one to do it with. lol.no phillies makes homer mad.

njordan2
09-23-2010, 19:35
Others have posted a similar link already, but here is a waterproof bible:
http://www.bardinmarsee.com/default.aspx
It is available in NIV and KJV among others. It looks like a good deal.

I do like the ambiance of a worn out old paper bible, though. I am sure after over 2,000 of being hiked around it would have plenty of "ambiance and character".

I have a couple of old bibles passed down throught the generations from my ancesters. One was brought over by them from Sweden and the other from Germany. After a couple of hundred years the leather is shot and the paper is frail, but man they look neat. If only I was able to read Swedish or German! But that doesn't matter, I already know the story!

I makes me wonder how they trecked them across the world and across this continent without so much as a ziplock baggy!(?)

mweinstone
09-23-2010, 19:46
umm ...not to be unchristian but,...in the spirit of cammo jacks accruacy in postings,...my retort must be,.....sir, man woman child and beast have goten considerably further up the survival ladder in rungs pre ziplock, than post. furthermore, the demise of civilization sits squarely on the shoulders of thinking that conveinyence can win out over struggle. strugle got us here. conveinyence is a missing rung.

njordan2
09-23-2010, 20:08
Weinstone, I agree and like the idea of seperating civilization into two epochs: preziplock and postziplock.

sheepdog
09-23-2010, 20:15
find a Christian book store. They should have several light weight models to choose from.

bpitt
09-25-2010, 10:18
I commend you on your desire to read the Bible. I was going to suggest one of the 'waterproof' varieties, but it seems someone already has. I've got several translations, but find NIV and NASB to be easiest to comprehend.

If you attend church, ask a Sunday School teacher or deacon or such for a Bible study plan. They may be able to give you one that would be easy to follow whilst on the trail. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

DaveSail
10-04-2010, 23:30
Down South , some group places Bibles in all the selters .
So , in the area where that happens , you wouldn't need to carry any ! DW

jojeanfree
10-05-2010, 01:21
Alibris.com has new and used books available at a reasonable cost.

mweinstone
10-05-2010, 06:03
in the book, the bible code, on pp136, it shows how the scripture "take a little wine for your stomach" after de codeing,...says" hike 14 eastern seaboard states with baltimore jack tarlin"

mweinstone
10-05-2010, 06:05
the word stomach translates to jack. intresting?

C Seeker
10-05-2010, 07:07
My boy friend just got me the outdoor waterproof bible for me. I love the fact that it is durable, waterproof, and pocket size. But yes it is a little heavy for the whole AT. I'm hoping the next time I get the christain book store I can check out the loose leaf bible and any other light weigt bible. I am planning on seperating the books and doing mail dops.

SunnyWalker
10-07-2010, 20:25
GoBible.com

-Chaplain

C Seeker
11-03-2010, 06:45
I will have to check into that thanks

sheepdog
11-03-2010, 10:22

thelightinside
11-23-2010, 21:23
Others have posted a similar link already, but here is a waterproof bible:
http://www.bardinmarsee.com/default.aspx
It is available in NIV and KJV among others. It looks like a good deal.

Do you own one of these? I'm curious about the weight.

IamCONDOR
11-28-2010, 00:40
hahah ooo the bible.. gets people going every time doesn't it lindsey?! i have a small bible that i am going to take, not sure of its exact weight but its my favorite bible, if you haven't found the one you want to take yet, send me your address and i will mail one to you.

mweinstone
11-28-2010, 01:08
in my house as a child under two atheists rule, questions werent asked. one day i found my fathers millitary issued pocket bible from the korean war. i asked my mother why such a father owned such a book. she said never ever to ask . my tyndall bible translated by william tyndale is heavy. really heavy. so i memorized it and carry it on a chain of adams weighing less than nothing.
tank? any ideas on how much a chain of adams weighes?in any event. the lift i get offsets my pork carry weight so i dont feel im overburdoned. the bible is heavy. lifting it without the help of a heavenly body causes heartache.

Red Hat
11-28-2010, 05:32
[QUOTE=mweinstone;1073170 the bible is heavy. lifting it without the help of a heavenly body causes heartache.[/QUOTE]

Matty, I am often amazed at the depth and breadth of you. God bless.

mweinstone
11-29-2010, 00:40
yeah,...when im in heaven im gonna eat so frikkin many sweets it aint frikkin funny woman!oxoxoxxomatty

Smile
11-29-2010, 04:00
the bible is heavy. lifting it without the help of a heavenly body causes heartache.

Very cool insight M :)