PDA

View Full Version : Basics on the John Muir Trail

tucker0104
08-20-2010, 09:05
I am thinking about doing the whole JMT in July or August of next year. How busy is the trail? I usually hike alone with my dog, but can't take him on this one. Do you recommend that I hike with soemone?

wandering_bob
08-20-2010, 11:10
Once the snow starts to go, you're never alone for long on the JMT; it's a regular hikers' highway. If you're going southbound in early July, you should meet many of the 2011 thru-hikers. If you're going northbound, you'll be following along behind the Herd, for the most part, so the trail should be easier to find/follow, even through remaining snow.

Depending on the snowmelt, July is usually the height of the mosquito season. August will see the most hikers. Yosemite Valley will be crammed full of noisy tourists, kids, and weekenders.

Solo or not? Only you can answer that. How comfortable are you with your outdoor skills? The JMT isn't technical; it's just a series of big ups and downs, often long but rarely steep. It is truly beautiful country so if you have a significant other who likes to hike, it would make for a great trip. Allow extra time to enjoy the experience; don't rush to make the miles.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-20-2010, 15:24
you will meet people in July and August daily, sometimes every 30 minutes, other times it'll be 10 hours between them (at least in July when there is still snow). August is high season, and even September appeared to me busier than early July.

Hiking partners are fine if you fall off a cliff while looking for a camp site where no JMT hiker will ever look for you, or you step on a rattle snake while looking for a little privacy in the bushes. Apart from that, I would probably prefer to hike alone at my own speed. YOu meet enough people to chat with anyway, and if you pick popular camp sites you won't even camp alone.

tucker0104
08-20-2010, 15:38
I am fine with my outdoor skills. I am fine with being alone too. Just haven't read my book on the John Muir Trail yet so I don't know much about it. Is it really as beautiful as I have read?

Nean
08-20-2010, 15:42
Yeah, the JMT and the PCT are one in the same for a hundred miles are so. Beautiful country out that way- I've done all but the hike down into the valley and prefer it to the PCT where they seperate for awhile. You will find someone to hike with if you want to hike with someone and they will most likely be better suited to your pace/style than a friend back home or someone you meet on the net.:) Good luck- ;)

Have you hiked any distance hikes before? Just curious.

perrito
08-20-2010, 15:49
I am fine with my outdoor skills. I am fine with being alone too. Just haven't read my book on the John Muir Trail yet so I don't know much about it. Is it really as beautiful as I have read?
The thing that surprised me most was that the trail was so dusty. Of course, last year was a very dry year, but the dust got into everything. Get some Dirty Girl gaitors. They'll help some. The views were fantastic of course.

Canadian Dude
08-20-2010, 16:02
I went alone and met people that I hiked with. Don't sweat it if you are going alone - you'll meet great people if that's what you are looking for.

nawlunz
08-20-2010, 16:29
I am thinking about doing the whole JMT in July or August of next year. How busy is the trail? I usually hike alone with my dog, but can't take him on this one. Do you recommend that I hike with soemone?

and had the same question :))...But, my decision was set, I will go solo!!
But, "solo" on the JMT trail doesn't seem to be realistic at many times from what I've heard :)))

Dogwood
08-20-2010, 17:17
and had the same question :))...But, my decision was set, I will go solo!!
But, "solo" on the JMT trail doesn't seem to be realistic at many times from what I've heard :)))

I guess everyone is different and each has to decide if a solo hike is OK for them but I've hiked the JMT solo twice, PCT(which has different tread for more than 40 miles than the JMT), SHR, and several other multi week long hikes in the Sierras and always went solo and I never had any problems based on being solo.

The JMT is well marked and traveled and you WILL NOT be alone in July/Aug.

sbhikes
08-21-2010, 22:16
The trail is extremely popular. If you camp by a lake there will be anywhere from a few people to dozens. I was always kind of grossed out because I found a lot of little piles of toilet paper.

I found it a little hard to meet people because it wasn't like the PCT. There wasn't the same kind of camaraderie of the hikers. Everybody was kind of doing their own thing. Plus I don't know what kind of hiker you are, but being a former PCT hiker I hiked light, fast and far. I felt surrounded by people who weren't hiking, they were plodding under enormous packs. I mean positively astoundingly huge packs. And doing tiny mileage. So I was kind of lonely.

It is a beautiful and dusty trail. I've been on it in late June and thought the snow made the scenery more dramatic, but the hiking was more difficult. I've been on it in mid-August and the lack of snow makes some of the high altitude pictures not as interesting, but when you are there, it's still amazing. The scenery is so varied. You have your pretty meadows and lakes, lodgepole forests, sub-alpine lakes and the austere moonscapes of the super high altitude stuff. It's really an amazing trail.

Hooch
08-22-2010, 12:09
Are hammocks at all practical for the JMT?

Bearpaw
08-22-2010, 12:32

I've done the northern half and it's pretty easy to camp near suitable trees. They're not everywhere, but treeline goes up to 10,00 feet or more in most places, so you can manage decent hangs with an eye on maps and what is around you as you walk.

Jester2000
08-22-2010, 15:26

It is, in fact, MORE beautiful than you've read.

sbhikes
08-22-2010, 21:23

I'm not a hammock person at all so I don't know how big of a tree you need for it. It seems to me that there are plenty of places with lots of nice big trees. The bigger trees are below 10,000 feet or so. Some of the higher lakes are sparsely treed and sometimes the trees are pretty small. So if you feel like camping higher, you might have to sleep on the ground. Otherwise, if you plan to camp lower, you shouldn't have trouble finding big trees.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-23-2010, 10:31

I've hiked it about 15 times now, if that's some sort of measure how it rates on the beauty scale.

In fact, I don't care to go anywhere else any longer if I want a great hike in remote mountains. There aren't many other places that measure up and are as easy to deal with in terms of resupply and travel. Add the relatively stable climate and you can't go wrong for an enjoyable backcountry hike.

is it beautiful? for you to judge - if you have time, there's a half dozen photo galleries on this page of JMT images - I suggest go through 1989/90 and the 2009 galleries to get a sense for what is out there. 2010 images will be added in a few weeks, plus a new "best of" section to add to the small "Sierras" gallery I put online well over 10 years ago.

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/

English Stu
08-23-2010, 11:32
I did this in 2008 and then added a stretch of the AT on the way home! Although from the UK I did hook up with someone on the internet before I left and although we often walked separately during the day we did meet up at night and meal times. Not sure I could have done it without him. There is a deep dusty trod and signs at intersections but AT signage it is not.

Regular lakeside camping spots where there is often a group.I went late Aug/Sept and never saw a bug, it can be hell earlier I understand .It can be busy but it is a great hike,the weather was super with a few cold snowy nights near Whitney.Early hikes can have issues fording streams.There is a Yahoo group with loads of good info.

Bear barrels are heavy empty:(.I re supplied all along the the way. Lots of food in the hiker buckets at Muir Trail Ranch, before you go contact Patt (the bucket babe) there for a rough idea of the quantity in the hiker buckets. So I had no need to take/send a masses of food.

Harley&Me
08-23-2010, 14:40
I'm hoping to do it next summer as well. Is there any advantage to doing it early or late in the summer? Hopefully I will be done with school in May and am thinking about heading out there June, July, or August. Any advice?

Jester2000
08-23-2010, 14:58
I'm hoping to do it next summer as well. Is there any advantage to doing it early or late in the summer? Hopefully I will be done with school in May and am thinking about heading out there June, July, or August. Any advice?

Later in the summer means fewer mosquitos, easier fording, and less snow in the passes.

If you go early, take a headnet.

Rambler
08-23-2010, 15:24
You can be as social or as private as you wish to be. 90% of the people I saw were hiking towards me, so one can go long stretches without seeing anyone. Many were seen near where I camped, but no need to approach or talk to anyone or even camp within talking distance. There were many days when I camped alone without anyone near.

Harley&Me
08-23-2010, 15:38
Thanks Jester. Any advice about which direction to go?

sbhikes
08-23-2010, 16:44
It's a good idea to go southbound. Your passes get higher as you move south so you have time to build up your strength and altitude acclimation. Also, you climb north facing slopes more often if you head south. This means they are not baking in the sun as much. Also, the resupply places at the north end of the trail are closer together giving you more time to build up your speed.

Jester2000
08-23-2010, 17:08
It's a good idea to go southbound. Your passes get higher as you move south so you have time to build up your strength and altitude acclimation. Also, you climb north facing slopes more often if you head south. This means they are not baking in the sun as much. Also, the resupply places at the north end of the trail are closer together giving you more time to build up your speed.

Yeah, what Piper said. Plus, if you go Southbound you end on top of Whitney, which I think is more spectacular.

el31415
10-05-2010, 18:33
Just finished solo JMT on the october 1st
So beautiful and what a life changing experience
My advise free your schedule and take your time.
They were some place I wanted to stay for ever no wanting to go anywhere.
just pack your stuff and hit the trail.

Rambler
10-06-2010, 11:21
From research I did before hiking the trail, I found most recommended north-to-south mainly because of easier altitude adjustment. I would not want to start out by the long climb up to Whitney, nor would I want to camp at the crowded "Base Camp".
Hiking south just out of Red Meadows, I met someone hiking north. The previous summer he had hiked north-to-south. He was enjoying his journey.

Because of permitting, I started out of Tuolumne Meadows (Lyell Canyon). That is a great place to start since most of the first day is a meander through the meadows!

I have since hiked from Tuolumne down to Yosemite Valley via Vogelsang Pass and Bernice Lake. This is a wonderful hike, 90% down hill!

No matter what...get to the Sierras....amazing territory, spectacular scenery.

You hike by this amazing tree: (the foxtail pine)
http://www.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=fox+tail+pine&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=GJSsTOu0O4iksQOxstmeAw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQsAQwAA&biw=1024&bih=857