PDA

View Full Version : By golly

10-K
08-20-2010, 11:04
It's been raining cats and dogs here in Erwin the past 2 days but today the sun is shining and no rain is in the immediate forecast.

Therefore, I have loaded up my pack and am going to do a short overnighter from Iron Mt. Gap to Erwin and walk back home tomorrow. I cannot tell you how cool it is to live a stones throw from the AT and an abundance of other trails.

This will also go towards the 10:1 cyberhike:actual_hike ratio I am trying to keep. :)

Fishbamboo
08-20-2010, 11:10
I wish I had some place to hike, guess I could go through a swamp, if I could cut my way through.

Luddite
08-20-2010, 11:14
I'm jealous. You don't live far from the Pigeon River either, right? I used to work on the pigeon and got to go hiking 3 days a week. Midnight hole was one of my favorite spots if it wasn't a weekend.

Hikes in Rain
08-20-2010, 12:28
Salt, open wound...especially lying here recovering from surgery! ;)

Just kidding, of course (except about the surgery). For some little time to come, this is as close as I can get to hiking, so I appreciate the trip reports and announcements, so I can tag along vicariously.

Gray Blazer
08-20-2010, 12:44
I wish I had some place to hike, guess I could go through a swamp, if I could cut my way through.

Sherman and his army did it.

Luddite and Hikes in Rain. The Fl hiking season will be coming up in a few months. Personally, I can not wait. HIR, Hope you recovery goes well. 10k have a good time. I hope the weather is cooler than it was a few weeks ago. Peace Out.

Kerosene
08-20-2010, 12:57
I'm in the process of relocating from southeastern Michigan, which has a woeful lack of hiking trails, to Milwaukee, where I hope to start picking up sections of the Ice Age Trail on weekends. Not quite the AT, but at least it will get me outdoors a little more often. Have fun on your hike 10-K!

Hikes in Rain
08-20-2010, 13:01
Not to try to hijack 10K's thread (he's out having a wonderful time, anyway! :) ), but thanks, GB, it is. I'm ahead of the recovery curve, I'd say. Still have about half the Oxycontin supply left over, and I'll be back at work part time at least on Monday. That's about a week ahead of "average". Just in time to perhaps try out some of the Florida Trail instead of the AT.

Old Hiker
08-20-2010, 13:27
Sherman and his army did it.

Not quite sure if Sherman was in touch with LNT principles. Just sayin'. ;)

Hikes in Rain
08-20-2010, 14:00
Great at living off the land, though. Albeit at the landowners expense!!

dmax
08-20-2010, 14:29
Where you planning on spending the night? I might just swing on through to meet you.....

tiptoe
08-20-2010, 15:48
10-K, you are a rain magnet. Ever since you slogged through New England, it's been really hot and dry for weeks on end.

Old Grouse
08-20-2010, 17:18
We could sure use some of that rain up this way. It keeps going south of us. The trail is littered with lieave as the trees shut down with the drought.

1azarus
08-20-2010, 18:16
you're making me worry less about life after finishing the epic AT section hike by your very good example. Thanks!

10-K
08-21-2010, 10:33
Thanks everyone - I had a great hike! The 20 miles or so between Iron Mt. Gap and Erwin are well graded with only one serious climb (Unaka Mt.).

I started at noon and still made it all the way back to Erwin before dark. I hung my hammock right before the USA rafting place at the Nolichucky and hopped on the Erwin Linear Trail and was home within an hour this morning.